NS-783 Coco Alight Coconut Wax From Northstar

PINKT

This is a new coconut wax available at Northstar Country Candle Supply. It is VERY EASY  to wick and has throw fragrance really well at 10%. The owner has formulated this wax himself. The description is says it 's comparable to Accu-Pure Coconut 83, IGI 6046 Coconut/Paraffin, and Virgin Coconut Soy meaning EC26. I find it superior to all of these waxes.

1 hour ago, PINKT said:

This is a new coconut wax available at Northstar Country Candle Supply. It is VERY EASY  to wick and has throw fragrance really well at 10%. The owner has formulated this wax himself. The description is says it 's comparable to Accu-Pure Coconut 83, IGI 6046 Coconut/Paraffin, and Virgin Coconut Soy meaning EC26. I find it superior to all of these waxes.

Interesting marketing words.  How can it be like three very different waxes? 

how would you wick a typical 3” wide x 3”+ jar with the new wax?

and does it “really” need 10% FO to throw well?

9% throws good, and I also made an 11% tester.. this wax can easily hold 12% even though it doesn't say it can.. no seepage.. I think wax mfg stay on the safer side with fragrance % ... I've used HTP 93 in a 3.2in 16oz straight sided jar and and AL 140-180 depending on the fragrance. (Aroma Lite).... Get some and give it a try and see what you think

15 hours ago, pcbrook said:

I have been contemplating trying this wax.  Where do you get the Aroma Lite wicks?

I bought the full set from Atkins and Pearce around 2018.  They did not solve any issues in any wax I tried. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Had to work with their tech team Re: excessive soot.  If not trimmed with razor sharp scissors the fiber ends caused loads of soot and carbon heading.  In coconut 83 blends I ended up with black greasy film on walls and the ceiling fan in the testing room. 

Like anything else, there’s no magic wick. Worth experimenting, of course.  Your experience may be very different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizzy said:

Not for me either. I am done testing Coconut waxes. Back to basics for me. Everything seems overblended and overpriced. 

I can’t keep up with all of the new “amazing” coconut blends.  The market is oversaturated.

I’ve been back at it with raw materials I have and am LOVING my own blends so much.  I also love that I’m not tethered to a distributor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I can’t keep up with all of the new “amazing” coconut blends.  The market is oversaturated.

I’ve been back at it with raw materials I have and am LOVING my own blends so much.  I also love that I’m not tethered to a distributor. 

It absolutely is. High hopes....major let downs.
I'm back to basics with waxes (only 2 waxes for me from now on....one for candles and one for melts) that are available from numerous suppliers. No muss, no fuss. Simplicity is what my jam is. LOL

• Like 1

Just now, Lizzy said:

It absolutely is. High hopes....major let downs.
I'm back to basics with waxes (only 2 waxes for me from now on....one for candles and one for melts) that are available from numerous suppliers. No muss, no fuss. Simplicity is what my jam is. LOL

You can make an awesome candle from anything that will burn once you understand the fuel composition needed for your candle. You can “fix” sub par blends too. 

What many miss for stellar HT is the key ingredient: excellent fragrances designed for purpose.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

You can make an awesome candle from anything that will burn once you understand the fuel composition needed for your candle. You can “fix” sub par blends too. 

What many miss for stellar HT is the key ingredient: excellent fragrances designed for purpose.

That is why I decided to just use two waxes. Back to basics. I have plenty of experience with them and know exactly what needs tweaking. It's easy to jump on the "flavor of the month" bandwagon when it comes to waxes and FO's and I admit I was intrigued by Coconut waxes but after testing 3 of them I am severely disappointed. Even soy didn't disappoint me that much. LOL

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The AL wicks burn beautifully with CAC and 8% FO (Makesy version). I love that they don't curl. IMHO their HT rivals Premier and beloved CDNs.

And it's not just my candles, I bought a store candle and that had what appeared to be an AL wick (due the distinct burn characteristics) and it burns beautifully as well. 

AL wicks are quickly becoming one of my favorites!

• Like 1