Detergent free

Karen Ov

18 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Everything depends on the exact ingredients.  Some oils have fatty acid profiles that are just as grease stripping as detergents.  Some detergents are far more mild than soap oils. 

So detergent free doesn't always mean its better?. Im just starting to dabble in m&p, and want to avoid any kind of soap  that leaves a film on your skin. Is there a certain kind i should avoid? 

• Like 1

This true what TT says about water! For example my studio water it’s impossible to rinse soap off my hands but my home well water same soap rinses off completely. Again buy some sample blocks and see how you like them. Detergent free does not always mean better feeling.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Karen Ov said:

Thanks..i guess soap is just like wax..lol.  Test to see what works best.

Exactly! 
my well water is hard with excessive iron.  Without a softener not even SLS will lather even the tiniest bit. It smells like metal and nothing will wash off completely. Feels like a film on my skin and hair (and dishes, yuk.)

softened, many will lather, but some blends are much better than others. 

there are ways to formulate around that, such as with chelators, but if you’re not into formulating, it’s faster and cheaper to experiment with available bases. 

SFIC is a market leader in melt and pour type soap bases. Stephenson is another. I tend to gravitate toward SFIC - but get what you can from your normal suppliers to keep purchasing costs in check. 

Not much help but, In the melt and pour soapmaking group (on Facebook)  they talk about detergent free being better because it was a true soap...and not a detergent. They are all into the M&P vs CP thing.    I've never tried it myself so I don't know.  I do love the stephensons  (I think)  bulk goat milk M&P,  from Brambleberry, and so do my customers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 12:15 PM, TallTayl said:

Exactly! 
my well water is hard with excessive iron.  Without a softener not even SLS will lather even the tiniest bit. It smells like metal and nothing will wash off completely. Feels like a film on my skin and hair (and dishes, yuk.)

softened, many will lather, but some blends are much better than others. 

there are ways to formulate around that, such as with chelators, but if you’re not into formulating, it’s faster and cheaper to experiment with available bases. 

SFIC is a market leader in melt and pour type soap bases. Stephenson is another. I tend to gravitate toward SFIC - but get what you can from your normal suppliers to keep purchasing costs in check. 

I'm going to order some sfic, they seem to have some good reviews . TY

On 6/20/2022 at 11:20 PM, TallTayl said:

Sounds like the paraffin v soy debate, doesn’t it? Is either one truly “better” than another?

Lol, Its true, i guess in the end it comes down to personal preference, both from maker to customer. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...