I feel so stupid trying to embed photos

I have been trying all day....and on Saturday to get a good picture.....almost but not great....this is driving me nuts....I have searched this board and tried all kinds of tips.....I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried ice cubes, cold cloths, scewers, wooden spoons, taped together scewers, etc. even different molds. Cut out pictures, whole pictures, and now I am waiting for a hummingbird and a Monticello candle to cool.....bet they don't work either. I finally took one and dipped it into overdip wax and it looks ok, but that isn't what I am going for. I came across this website where "Judy" says that she has a patent pending technique for embedding photos.....is that for real...you mean someone has actually found a way to make this work? I am so determined to learn this....I was awake at 5 this morning going over and over what I was going to do....I just can't get the photo smooth.....now I am thinking.....maybe I have paper that is too good.....it is good quality that we requested when we had a photo place do pictures for me when I was gluing them on. Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe thinner would be better....anyway here is the link to "Judy" custom candles and a picture of the failure that I over dipped. Donita (the one who almost has no hair left LOL)

http://www.customdesignedcandles.com/

post-248-139458376662_thumb.jpg

LOL! Stop pulling your hair out. I'm not sure I can really help since you have read all the tips and tricks. But you might be on to something with the paper. I just use standard copier paper. I think it's like 20 lb. Actually, I save stuff from work that was printed on half a page...it's scrap paper and it works great. Make sure your mold is warm and the wax is hot. I use a spoon on the inside and a cold wash cloth on the outside.

I can't imagine a patent holding up on these. It's like the dipped bears. People have been doing them forever and you wax, additives, etc aren't EXACTLY like hers so you aren't violating. JMO

I am with you Donita. I got my very first one to work, and thought, I can do this, it is easy. But alas I have not gotten one to come out since. I have tried everything too. And sweet Sherie has been giving me tips and I just can't do it again. Not sure what I am doing wrong either. If you find out what the trick is, be sure and let me know, LOL!

Donita, sorry the tip I forgot was about the paper. I went through a spell where I couldn't get these things to work. Durty Nell told me to use HP 24# bright white paper. It was like someone flipped a light switch. All of a sudden they started coming out right. When I print out the picture I go to properties on the printer and change the setup to HP bright White paper and Best quality.

I like the ivory chop sticks. Allows me to apply pressure the entire height of the pic and squeeze the air out between the picture and the mold. I start in the center and squeeze to the sides.

Take a break and order some Chinese take out. Just tell them you want some chop sticks with the order. HTH

It took me a couple of tries before I kinda-sorta got the technique down. Still have to work on getting the embed to stick all the way to the edge. I used two skewers and wet dishtowels on my daughter's wedding 'cane, and it seemed to do pretty good. I think i'll try the chopsticks and/or the wooden spoon too.

Knowing what a perfectionist you are, I'll bet your embed wasn't that bad :D

I am in the same boat... I got exactly 1 to look 1/2 way descent then the rest were flops.

I got so flustered that with my last try I threw the stupid thing. LOL

At least the pictures tear off easy so you can reuse the wax. :(

oop. forgot to say, That hurricane is beautiful.:D

I have been trying all day....and on Saturday to get a good picture.....almost but not great....this is driving me nuts....I have searched this board and tried all kinds of tips.....I just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have tried ice cubes, cold cloths, scewers, wooden spoons, taped together scewers, etc. even different molds. Cut out pictures, whole pictures, and now I am waiting for a hummingbird and a Monticello candle to cool.....bet they don't work either. I finally took one and dipped it into overdip wax and it looks ok, but that isn't what I am going for. I came across this website where "Judy" says that she has a patent pending technique for embedding photos.....is that for real...you mean someone has actually found a way to make this work? I am so determined to learn this....I was awake at 5 this morning going over and over what I was going to do....I just can't get the photo smooth.....now I am thinking.....maybe I have paper that is too good.....it is good quality that we requested when we had a photo place do pictures for me when I was gluing them on. Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe thinner would be better....anyway here is the link to "Judy" custom candles and a picture of the failure that I over dipped. Donita (the one who almost has no hair left LOL)

http://www.customdesignedcandles.com/

Some things I have found being a rookie/

Alcohol inks like those used by HP tend to bleed regardless of the paper

Bio degradeable inks seem to hold remain whole and not caus a leak. I tried dipping wood with photos in wax for scrap booking. I used uncolored parafin and sandalwood to give it a musty book smell and my girlfriend loved it.

You picture seems to have sleed or bleed not sure which

At least you don't have bubbles girl! That was always my problem, I would end up with a few bubbles on one side of the darn pic. Could not figure out how to get rid of the bubbles without doing the same one 10 times! Either that or the wax looked thicker over one section of the paper! Or the wax sticks to the mold and they you have pretty chunks taken out right over the picture, lol! I haven't did one in a while.....maybe I should see if I can still screw one up!

I think yours looks great!

Thanks everyone....I see that people on our board seem to have great luck doing hundreds of them.....I will figure this out.....I may die trying, but I will get it down.....I can't stand it when something that looks so simple won't work. When I wanted to make the perfect croissant....I went to the library and read the book "How to Make the Perfect Croissant".......went home, made them a couple of times then moved on to Julia Childs lobster bisque. Made that once....bought live lobsters....enough of that for me. I keep getting candles that aren't good enough...actually I could sell them at the Mall at Christmas....they buy anything there, but I want to add this to my line and set up a display at my co-op store downtown and do custom candles for people and go for the wedding market and now that Charlottesville is becoming a HUGE wine industry....I think that pictures of vineyards and maybe a pressed grape leaf would appeal to the many winerys here. I think that we are now the 10th largest in the world. Wouldn't you know that my grapes don't do well here....my concord died and the red ones are sparse. I don't get good clusters.... I unmolded the two candles from last night and of course they didn't work either. I spent way too much time trying to get it right....maybe I am trying too hard.....I am going to experiment with different papers today. Thanks again, Donita

Ps. I just got back the black and white proof of my new label. It is going to be black and silver.

post-248-139458376675_thumb.jpg

This thread is very discouraging - I have not tried yet but I am collecting pics of my 2 yr old niece and was thinking about making one for her parents. I will watch this thread carefully.

Good luck Donita - I am rooting for you. ;)

I have had a couple of successes, but many more failures. I thought that I had mastered it when I got a couple to turn out then, BAM, I was having a bunch of problems again. I had bought cheaper paper (only 84 brightness) and I started having all kinds of problems with bubbles. I went back to the paper that I had purchased previously, then we went on vacation and I haven't tackled the hurricanes since we got back. Have to get started again, just have been busy working on another project. :)

I use hp 20# paper. The only problem I've ever had with the ink is if I got water on it. Otherwise, no problems with it running in the wax. I can't think of any other tips other than ones I've already posted. The only thing I can think of, is if your using photo quality paper, it's way to thick. I've never actually tried using it so I can't tell you what problems it'll actually cause except it wont be transparent and glow through, and it probably wont stick to the mold right causing a gap between the pic and the mold. Therefore the layer of wax will be to thick, etc.

Tallbabydoll.....I have been using expensive photocopy paper that I had my pictures printed on a couple of years ago...it is very stiff.....I just printed an experiment mermaid on some of my regular copy paper 24# and the wax is cooling a bit. I think I was pouring too hot after reading Alan's instructions again. I always pour my hurricanes at 200 or more......so I am on my way over to the studio to see if it works and if not I will be bald by tonight. I will let you all know if this helps. I just know that there is a way. I just need to find it. If I saw it done in person, then I would know........know what I mean. That is why they call them "teachers".....they teach you......in person...oh I am getting carried away...trying to avoid doing another experiment....................