Wood vs Regular Wicks

• 6 months later...

As for me, I use wood wicks all day in any wax that is a vegetable blend. I haven't had any of the problems listed above yet, maybe I have  just gotten lucky. I find that wood wicks solve all wicking problems you get with a regular wick in these waxes, especially the mushroom. Scent throw is fast which I like. Downside is midway through the candle the wax is ugly because of the wood wick ash.  I live in Orange County, CA, and the wood wick is apparently a thing here because every craft market we come across that has a candle store all use wood wicks. I think everyone here buys from Makesy since it is local for us because all the candles I see here use their jars. I do not use wood in Paraffin, its just too easy of a wax to wick.

8 hours ago, Ernie said:

Downside is midway through the candle the wax is ugly because of the wood wick ash.

I'm not sure of all the reasons why I have stayed away from wooden wicks, probably because I like regular wicks.  Maybe I like that traditional wicks are kind of dainty looking and I find the wood wicks to have more a rustic look, and because of what you've noted.  I'm sure in certain areas it's the trendy thing, but I personally seem to be stuck on fiber wicks, but don't exactly know why!