Wicking issues

WaxingPoetic

Hi, everyone ! Well, I've been playing around with my coconut 83 & coco apricot waxes & omg, the wicking issues ! I purchased a few sizes of cdn wicks, because I read that they work really well in coconut waxes, but no matter which size I use, the flames are TINY, almost like they are drowning out ? I do realize that it's all about testing & what works for some may not work for others, but I'm interested in hearing which wicks you guys have had luck with in these waxes ? 

I have some cd wicks, but I doubt that I have the right size, since I read to wick way down in coco waxes. I also have some premier wicks, some zincs, some LX, & a sample pack of wood wicks. The wood wicks seem to burn too fast, though, even at the smallest size. I'm not giving up on these waxes because I LOVE the hot throw once cured & the beautiful creamy, smooth appearance. 

I would try cds and lx wicks see how you like them. It’s really about testing the wicks and wax combos before you get magic combo. If CDN small flame, try wicking up one, or two. Then test against cd and lx. I just tested cdn versus cd, and not much difference to me, so I would try wicking up and burn two hours. What yr jar type, and have you tried different fragrances? Some fragrance are PITB (pain in the butt). I like to try wicks with a couple fragrances before making decision.

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

I would try cds and lx wicks see how you like them. It’s really about testing the wicks and wax combos before you get magic combo. If CDN small flame, try wicking up one, or two. Then test against cd and lx. I just tested cdn versus cd, and not much difference to me, so I would try wicking up and burn two hours. What yr jar type, and have you tried different fragrances? Some fragrance are PITB (pain in the butt). I like to try wicks with a couple fragrances before making decision.

I've tried quite a few different fragrances, & as for the jars, they range from 9 oz straight sided jars to Aura vessels from WW Co. I've tried so many different cdn & wood wicks in both so far. I did try wicking up on the cdn's, but still get the tiny flame...maybe not right off the bat sometimes, but definitely by the second or third burn. I'll likely move on to the cd next, but I'll need to order a sample pack, since I only have 16's at the moment. I feel like those would definitely be a disaster in the straight sided jars, lol. I wouldn't even attempt that. 

Thanks so much for the reply ! Wick testing is my least favorite part of this craft 😖🤣

I like Helix for Coconut 83.  For 9oz straight sided jar, Helix 1 is about right even though I wish they would have smaller than that one.  I say it is about 5 wick size down compare to soy wax.

I was not able to single wick Coco/Apricot to satisfaction.  But I have seen few who did great job triple wicked using CDN 2 & 3 for 4" diameter vessels.  Those small flames work in favor when they are triple wicked.

It's been a minute since I was doing pure coconut wax, but agree it's tough to wick. I liked the results of premier, but you'd have to cut the size in half for what you use on soy. CDs were okay, too. Didn't try much with CDN. Definitely avoid ECO.

Part of it may be your coco83 batch. They always vary slightly, but  The cases I and two partners received from the February cal candle sale were NOTHING like normal coco83.  It was prone to sinkholes/cavities which would show up on the second or third burn giving the incorrect appearance of a bad wick choice. Had I not been watching at the exact right time I would have missed it. I then began poking for sinkholes and filling all coco83 and coco83 blends as it is no longer trustworthy.

likewise, that load burned a size off of “normal” coco83, burned dirty, etc. it is maddening to try to run a business when your suppliers deny anything is wrong.

several of us contacted calwax and were blown off. Accublend was impossible to reach. 

For coco83 and coco83 blends CDN are still my first choice of wicks. I have tried them all, including hpsp and imports from the UK.

Adding: for the 9 oz straight sided jars, CDN 4 or CDN 5 are typically the biggest I need for coco83 with up to 30% soy or palm wax. Rarely does that size jar need more than a cdn6, and that is with problematic fragrances. 

for plain old coco83 I typically need a cdn4 or cdn5 at most.

cdn3 are not hearty enough wicks.  They clog up and create teensy flames as if they are not even CDN.

I see people double wick those little jars and have a clutcher since the jars get hot fast when even slightly overwicked. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Part of it may be your coco83 batch. They always vary slightly, but  The cases I and two partners received from the February cal candle sale were NOTHING like normal coco83.  It was prone to sinkholes/cavities which would show up on the second or third burn giving the incorrect appearance of a bad wick choice. Had I not been watching at the exact right time I would have missed it. I then began poking for sinkholes and filling all coco83 and coco83 blends as it is no longer trustworthy.

likewise, that load burned a size off of “normal” coco83, burned dirty, etc. it is maddening to try to run a business when your suppliers deny anything is wrong.

several of us contacted calwax and were blown off. Accublend was impossible to reach. 

For coco83 and coco83 blends CDN are still my first choice of wicks. I have tried them all, including hpsp and imports from the UK.

Accu-blend had machine problem where cooling water was getting into wax mixture since last year, and I don't think they have fixed it completely.

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, BusyBee said:

Accu-blend had machine problem where cooling water was getting into wax mixture since last year, and I don't think they have fixed it completely.

shades of GB waxes in 2016-2017.

The feb batch felt like soft paraffin and smelled like chemicals, not the typical old fryer oil.

It began to stiffen during pouring at 190*F. crazy bad lot. 

55 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

shades of GB waxes in 2016-2017.

The feb batch felt like soft paraffin and smelled like chemicals, not the typical old fryer oil.

It began to stiffen during pouring at 190*F. crazy bad lot. 

If they are having water leakage problem, then that means the machine is falling apart which means it will spit out who knows what.

This is GB 464 back in 2016.  7% of 464 candle came out like this.  I was a beginner back then, and I just stayed with 464 since I thought it was me who didn't get it right.  Current 464 is a lot better than those days.  It has weaker CT, but it looks better and burns easier with stronger HT. 

*I do still have same problem sometime (less than 2%) with current 464, but that is acceptable for me.

20161005_0953063.thumb.jpg.64d66b0d3d90b13498e354ee4df99ed1.jpg

• Shocked 1