Have a question.....What's causing this??

5 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

I will down size the next batch and see if that stops it....Thank You. The ECO 10 was the wick that gave me a full MP without tunneling. The 8 tunneled.

Eco 8 is way too big also.  An Eco 8 is good for tumblers, status jars, those 3 inchers. The jelly jar is Eco 2 territory, sometimes Eco 1.  I've poured a bunch of 6006 jelly jars because we use them as promo items, so I am really familiar.  You won't get a FMP on the 1st burn, but it will catch up pretty quickly, which is ideal since the jar has a bit of a taper. They can get really hot at the bottom.  

6 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

The jelly jar is Eco 2 territory, sometimes Eco 1. 

Here is the jar I am using. 9 oz. Straight Sided Jar from Candlemakers. The size is 3 1/2" tall x 2 3/4 " diameter with a 2 1/4" opening. Candlescience has recommended an ECO 4. Guess I will rethink this and start there. Thank you for the guidance on this. 

straight_sided_9_oz._1.jpg

oh wow....looks like soy wax does after burning. *shudder*

Ahhhh yes....the wonderful world of wax. Just when you think you got it....you get kicked in the arse! 

I tell you ...I have been testing soy for 4 years now and it taught me patience on a whole new level. As an Aries that's a big deal. :laugh2:

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, TallPineCandles said:

Here is the jar I am using. 9 oz. Straight Sided Jar from Candlemakers. The size is 3 1/2" tall x 2 3/4 " diameter with a 2 1/4" opening. Candlescience has recommended an ECO 4. Guess I will rethink this and start there. Thank you for the guidance on this. 

straight_sided_9_oz._1.jpg

Is the 2 3/4 diameter your inside or outside measurement? I use jars similar to that picture  and they are more like 2 1/2” diameter if measuring inside. That 1/4” makes a BIG difference in wick size. I see a lot of people on Facebook measuring outside dimensions - which gets them wicking trouble every time.

The slight neck does too. That ever so slight indent increases the air current exponentially, so less wick is needed.

23 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is the 2 3/4 diameter your inside or outside measurement?

Hello....here is the link to the jar I use. Your opinion would be gratefully appreciated.

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-jars-molds/9-oz-straight-sided-jar-w-gold-70tw-lid.html

• Thumbs Up 1

I just measured the inside of the jar I have and it's just shy of 2 5/8"... It's literally between 2 9/16" and 2 5/8". 

I only measured one of them so I'm guessing there's going to be a little bit of wiggle room between each one.   

Edited by SRez
adding

2 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

Hello....here is the link to the jar I use. Your opinion would be gratefully appreciated.

https://thecandlemakersstore.com/candle-making/candle-making-jars-molds/9-oz-straight-sided-jar-w-gold-70tw-lid.html

Some manufacturers use different glass thickness too, so it’s never perfect.  At least you’re closer now so wick suggestions will be a wee bit more accurate. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, TallPineCandles said:

They are likely measuring outside dimensions, which is cray since they know candles are measured by inside 🤷🏻‍♀️ Wall thickness is a variable for wicking.