Apricot Coconut Wax Changed?

Dominicanaaa

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the Apricot Coconut wax blend for almost three years in my candle making and always had immaculate results visually. Never any sinkholes, or issues with adhesion. All of a sudden the last three times ordering from Candlewic, all of my candles have major pitting around the wick/sink holes. I never had sinkholes in all the time i've ever poured, I also have not changed my temps (Heat to 180 and pour around 165) , or even where I'm pouring, Everything is the same except for now no matter what I do, theres always sinkholes. I also noticed it almost looks like subtle cracking in the wax once hardened.

I noticed the last few batches of wax seem to ship broken up, and have a different feel to them also, almost like they feel less creamy and almost hollow if that makes sense. Anyone else have issues with the Apricot Coco wax? Im wondering because I just may have to find a new wax if so. Any thoughts is appreciated! 

Edited by Dominicanaaa

7 hours ago, Dominicanaaa said:

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the Apricot Coconut wax blend for almost three years in my candle making and always had immaculate results visually. Never any sinkholes, or issues with adhesion. All of a sudden the last three times ordering from Candlewic, all of my candles have major pitting around the wick/sink holes. I never had sinkholes in all the time i've ever poured, I also have not changed my temps (Heat to 180 and pour around 165) , or even where I'm pouring, Everything is the same except for now no matter what I do, theres always sinkholes. I also noticed it almost looks like subtle cracking in the wax once hardened.

I noticed the last few batches of wax seem to ship broken up, and have a different feel to them also, almost like they feel less creamy and almost hollow if that makes sense. Anyone else have issues with the Apricot Coco wax? Im wondering because I just may have to find a new wax if so. Any thoughts is appreciated! 

Is this blend made by candlewic, or the ceda cerica from CalWax?

all of the boards are lit up with complaints about coconut blends lately.  With the coconut crop shortage, and the increased demand, all coconut blends seem to be ever changing noticeably. 

• Like 1

I don't have any from CandleWic, mine is from Calwax. I've not noticed any differences apart from the usual from batch to batch. Slight wick size change, bit iffy with hot throw with some fragrances, still smooth tops. 

I'd try pouring hotter and see if it helps at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dominicanaaa said:

Thank you so much @ErronB maybe I should try the Calwax version! The color is very different now even with Candlewic, its no longer white upon arrival - it went to a yellow almost like soy. It's so strange. I am going to try pouring hotter! Thank you so much!

I was under the impression that CandleWic were just reselling the wax, but after the things I've heard about it lately it sounds like they really are making their own version of it these days. Did it come in 10lb slabs or the 5lb cakes?

47 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I was under the impression that CandleWic were just reselling the wax, but after the things I've heard about it lately it sounds like they really are making their own version of it these days. Did it come in 10lb slabs or the 5lb cakes?

Who knows anymore? Cal wax is so backed up maybe candlewic figured out their own version?

13 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Who knows anymore? Cal wax is so backed up maybe candlewic figured out their own version?

Seems like it, I'm not surprised though because it is the 'hot thing' at the moment as far as luxury expensive waxes go and it's really hard to find, gotta chase that $$$.

Edited by ErronB

• 4 weeks later...

Candlewic had their own coconut blend (per the SDS: hydrogenated palm oil, coconut oil, stearic acid) a while back. I think it was discontinued or removed from the site around the same time as the site's makeover. 

The "new" coconut-apricot wax (CBL-131) might be a repackaging of Ceda Serica or a modified blend. It's included among Candlewic's custom blends (see the address of that product's page). According to the description of Ceda Serica at Swans Candles, they only know of one apricot-coconut wax that goes by many descriptions... so IDK. I'm almost certain that Candlewic's artwork for CBL-131 is the same as what they used for Ceda Serica. That is, assuming the previous product was Ceda Serica. I might have one of the pre-change boxes the wax was packaged in...

Isn't Candlewic part of the WSP network now? Does Calwax have ties to WSP?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kerven said:

Candlewic had their own coconut blend (per the SDS: hydrogenated palm oil, coconut oil, stearic acid) a while back. I think it was discontinued or removed from the site around the same time as the site's makeover. 

The "new" coconut-apricot wax (CBL-131) might be a repackaging of Ceda Serica or a modified blend. It's included among Candlewic's custom blends (see the address of that product's page). According to the description of Ceda Serica at Swans Candles, they only know of one apricot-coconut wax that goes by many descriptions... so IDK. I'm almost certain that Candlewic's artwork for CBL-131 is the same as what they used for Ceda Serica. That is, assuming the previous product was Ceda Serica. I might have one of the pre-change boxes the wax was packaged in...

Isn't Candlewic part of the WSP network now? Does Calwax have ties to WSP?

I have not heard of candlewic being scooped up in the buy up by the investment group.  Nothing surprises me any more.

candlewic could have been making their own version, like they do with IgI type waxes. 

the hydrogenated palm in your description above makes me face palm.  That’s why it feels like crisco and smells like crisco! 

Using archive.org I was able to find snapshots of their pages from before the makeover. Unfortunately, I didn't find the SDS sheets and I only have one saved for their coconut oil blend. Since the snapshots of the product pages were taken in 2017, and I saved the SDS in 1/2019, I think they must have been published on the site sometime during late 2018.

Anyway, the blend that contained the palm was their "coconut oil wax blend", a different product than the coconut apricot wax.

Here's the snapshot of the "coconut apricot candle wax" page. This was thought to be Ceda Serica, and I could swear that the SDS I found (but don't seem to have saved) sometime back included the name. The artwork on the product page isn't displaying, however, it can be seen here albeit very small. It's the same - the apricots behind the split coconut - as the new coconut apricot wax. Recycled artwork? Lazy branding? Who knows.

• Like 1

By the way, I found the box. Same artwork. Doesn't have "Ceda Serica" anywhere on it.

I did find a Candlewic SDS for Ceda Serica. Link

Of the Ceda Serica pictures I found, the majority show the wax in slab form with the same pattern on the bottoms. Every case I received from Candlewic was in shrink wrapped rectangular blocks. I know Candlewic has the equipment and facility to melt and pour their own slabs/blocks (there's an old video somewhere on the net showing them doing it), so I wonder if they repackage it and pass it off as theirs, which is pretty common these days. This post, claiming to have contacted Calwax, supports that thought.

Incidentally, for those who don't think Ceda Serica has paraffin in it, that Candlewic SDS lists "paraffin fume" as a decomposition product.

Noticed that the SDS is published on the new coconut apricot product page. It clearly states "revision" and replaces "paraffin fume" with "wax fumes". The inclusion of "saturated mineral hydrocarbons" makes me wonder if they're MOSH, which would mean it could contain mineral oil.

• 5 months later...

Did this issue ever get resolved? Because I have had nothing but trouble with the ceda serica for the past two weeks. I’ve been exclusively pouring this wax for a year, and it’s been perfect. For the past two weeks, however, every single candle sinks down in the center. I usually pour around 190, but I’ve now tried every temp from 180-200, and nothing helps. I can’t even pour a wickless test candle (no scent, no color), without it looking like the shape of a funnel. I know there aren’t sinkholes- it’s just this awful shape. It’s so pronounced that it is almost too difficult to fix with a heat gun.  I’m starting to get worried, as I have to start ramping up production for the holidays this week, and all of my product is not the quality I like to put out to my customers. 
If anyone has any advice, I would very much appreciate it. As I’ve said, I’ve been making candles almost 3 yrs now, and working with this wax exclusively for a year without any problems, so I don’t know if this is a supply side issue, or something else. I know this thread was from April, but I saw it tonight while I was banging my head against the wall (from another failed test), and I was wondering whatever became of the issue. Thanks so much for any feedback!

10 hours ago, Miss Mise said:

Did this issue ever get resolved? Because I have had nothing but trouble with the ceda serica for the past two weeks. I’ve been exclusively pouring this wax for a year, and it’s been perfect. For the past two weeks, however, every single candle sinks down in the center. I usually pour around 190, but I’ve now tried every temp from 180-200, and nothing helps. I can’t even pour a wickless test candle (no scent, no color), without it looking like the shape of a funnel. I know there aren’t sinkholes- it’s just this awful shape. It’s so pronounced that it is almost too difficult to fix with a heat gun.  I’m starting to get worried, as I have to start ramping up production for the holidays this week, and all of my product is not the quality I like to put out to my customers. 
If anyone has any advice, I would very much appreciate it. As I’ve said, I’ve been making candles almost 3 yrs now, and working with this wax exclusively for a year without any problems, so I don’t know if this is a supply side issue, or something else. I know this thread was from April, but I saw it tonight while I was banging my head against the wall (from another failed test), and I was wondering whatever became of the issue. Thanks so much for any feedback!

Ummmm I don’t like hearing this - where have you bought your apricot?

I stocked up when it was impossible to get and pre-sales were going on - the majority of mine came from hive and honey 

I haven’t been following any threads on coconut or apricot waxes lately so am I understanding there is another issue here? I had to give up 415 years ago because of this same Crap and started a blend with coco beads and then that went to Crap and then you couldn’t get those original beads anymore and I started playing with apricot blends …..if this is going to be an issue when I run out  I’m going to scream - ceda serica is the the only one affected? 😵💫😡😵💫

Edited by moonshine

11 hours ago, Miss Mise said:

Where is it from?

It is predominantly from Hive and Honey, although there may be a little left from Maryland Wax in my tank. I’ve purchased from both vendors several times, and the quality has always been high. I will be so sad if I need to start finding a new blend- I really emphasize to my customers how beautiful and creamy this product is. I would hate to have to change it up! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Every-one,

I'm completely new to candle-making and trying to learn as much as I can before starting. I bought the coconut-apricot wax from Wooden Wicks Candle Company, along with a few of their fragrances. I've also ordered fragrances from Candle Science and CDN wicks from Sixteen Seventeen candle supplies. Now that I'm reading these comments, I'm super nervous about making my first candle with this wax. The jars I'm using weigh 149 grams. I was planning on blending two scents for a total of 13.4g to make up the fragrance with the remaining 135.4g being wax, but should I bump up the fragrance or reduce the amount of wax I'm using for these jars (it's the Libby mini jars from Candle Science) to ensure the wax doesn't give me issues ? Thank you in advance for any info or advice you may have !

Edited by Stregadellanotte

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Ernie said:

I recently purchased the Calwax version of this and for me I have to do a double pour. It sinks really bad in a 16oz mason jar. Seems like 6046 is a better wax than this supposed luxury wax.

Sounds like the batch contains too much of the binder. Bummer. His is not the first time or the first supplier that flubbed a wax lot. I’m soooooo tired of inconsistencies. Soooo irked b the wide range of “acceptable” batches released to unsuspecting consumers. 

• Like 1

Ok, I just discovered something. I also poured a 6046 in the same 16 oz mason jar and it did exactly the same thing. Jars were both heated in oven, house temp right now is 76.  Didn't get any of the sink holes in an 8 oz jar, only the 16oz.

5 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Ok, I just discovered something. I also poured a 6046 in the same 16 oz mason jar and it did exactly the same thing. Jars were both heated in oven, house temp right now is 76.  Didn't get any of the sink holes in an 8 oz jar, only the 16oz.

Is that little hanging bit on the top center attached to the wick holder? It’s hard to see on my small screen. 

the wick holding device may be altering how the larger mass of wax cools just enough to cause new issues. 

17 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Is that little hanging bit on the top center attached to the wick holder? It’s hard to see on my small screen. 

the wick holding device may be altering how the larger mass of wax cools just enough to cause new issues. 

Hanging bit? You talking about the small black circle where the wick is attached?  I have always used this wick holders from aztec, but only with the mason jar have I had this problem.