Apricot Coconut Wax Changed?

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the Apricot Coconut wax blend for almost three years in my candle making and always had immaculate results visually. Never any sinkholes, or issues with adhesion. All of a sudden the last three times ordering from Candlewic, all of my candles have major pitting around the wick/sink holes. I never had sinkholes in all the time i've ever poured, I also have not changed my temps (Heat to 180 and pour around 165) , or even where I'm pouring, Everything is the same except for now no matter what I do, theres always sinkholes. I also noticed it almost looks like subtle cracking in the wax once hardened.

I noticed the last few batches of wax seem to ship broken up, and have a different feel to them also, almost like they feel less creamy and almost hollow if that makes sense. Anyone else have issues with the Apricot Coco wax? Im wondering because I just may have to find a new wax if so. Any thoughts is appreciated! 

Edited by Dominicanaaa
7 hours ago, Dominicanaaa said:

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the Apricot Coconut wax blend for almost three years in my candle making and always had immaculate results visually. Never any sinkholes, or issues with adhesion. All of a sudden the last three times ordering from Candlewic, all of my candles have major pitting around the wick/sink holes. I never had sinkholes in all the time i've ever poured, I also have not changed my temps (Heat to 180 and pour around 165) , or even where I'm pouring, Everything is the same except for now no matter what I do, theres always sinkholes. I also noticed it almost looks like subtle cracking in the wax once hardened.

I noticed the last few batches of wax seem to ship broken up, and have a different feel to them also, almost like they feel less creamy and almost hollow if that makes sense. Anyone else have issues with the Apricot Coco wax? Im wondering because I just may have to find a new wax if so. Any thoughts is appreciated! 

Is this blend made by candlewic, or the ceda cerica from CalWax?

all of the boards are lit up with complaints about coconut blends lately.  With the coconut crop shortage, and the increased demand, all coconut blends seem to be ever changing noticeably. 

• Like 1

I don't have any from CandleWic, mine is from Calwax. I've not noticed any differences apart from the usual from batch to batch. Slight wick size change, bit iffy with hot throw with some fragrances, still smooth tops. 

I'd try pouring hotter and see if it helps at all.

• Like 1

Hi @TallTayl Thank you so much for your insight! Mine has been from candlewic for some time now. I never tried it from Calwax however!

I am not surprised that there is a shortage with the coconut crops and the demand in the industry, it's a recipe for disaster!

Thank you so much @ErronB maybe I should try the Calwax version! The color is very different now even with Candlewic, its no longer white upon arrival - it went to a yellow almost like soy. It's so strange. I am going to try pouring hotter! Thank you so much!

8 minutes ago, Dominicanaaa said:

Thank you so much @ErronB maybe I should try the Calwax version! The color is very different now even with Candlewic, its no longer white upon arrival - it went to a yellow almost like soy. It's so strange. I am going to try pouring hotter! Thank you so much!

I was under the impression that CandleWic were just reselling the wax, but after the things I've heard about it lately it sounds like they really are making their own version of it these days. Did it come in 10lb slabs or the 5lb cakes?

47 minutes ago, ErronB said:

I was under the impression that CandleWic were just reselling the wax, but after the things I've heard about it lately it sounds like they really are making their own version of it these days. Did it come in 10lb slabs or the 5lb cakes?

Who knows anymore? Cal wax is so backed up maybe candlewic figured out their own version?

13 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Who knows anymore? Cal wax is so backed up maybe candlewic figured out their own version?

Seems like it, I'm not surprised though because it is the 'hot thing' at the moment as far as luxury expensive waxes go and it's really hard to find, gotta chase that $$$.

Edited by ErronB