IGI 6006 testing

GretaB

Hi everyone, new to candle-making and to this website ( literally just found it today! and I am GLAD). So I have been start making candles like 2 months ago and started with GB 464 from Candlescience, made many candles, had a super light HT and great CT, I got so frustrated and read a lot and thought that it's me that I like more strong HT candles, so I gave up on 464. I got IGI6006 from Aztec a few weeks ago and made a few candles. I have been testing with the waxes different fos but I didn't get yet a strong scent from any of the waxes. I watched Jeff Standley on You tube ( I read a few post before and seems I did the wrong thing...) and I tried the low temp method with 464, cured for about 2 weeks, nothing. I got 6006 and let them cured just for a few days and the HT it's a little bit better. I think it's even because I am using small jars, Candlescience 6.07oz Medium straight jar. I tried 700 series, wooden wick and  cotton that Aztec recommend for the diameter of the jar.

I am not sure anymore if it's ME doing something wrong or what it is going on. For 6006 I am melting the wax till 190 and then stir a little bit and then mix the Fo and stir for other 2 minutes then pouring in the container ( the good thing is that I am not getting any sink hole and the candles come out super nice and all with a great CT) but then for some reason they don't smell right to me. I got one in the bathroom with the 700 series and it has a burned smell after a while that it burns, but with a great melt pool and good burn, but now it's burning the top of the candle a little. The wooden wick, literally burned the top of the candle, but decent HT. The cotton wick, has a great melt pool but poor HT. I am literally getting crazy. I have more candles with the same scent that I am going to wait a few more days  before I lit them on and hopefully that will help. I even tried double wick on one. The fos I am using are from Candles science(mostly), I thought I loved them, but now I am kinda having a second thought and I think they are not that great as they look.

So please,  if anyone can tell me what I am doing wrong, it will be great!!

Thank you!!

• Like 1

Sounds like you are overwicked. Use the Candle Science wick guide. It is pretty accurate for 6006.  You can also find wick recommendations on the product page for each container CS sells.  They recommend Eco wicks, and they do work well in 6006.   For a good burn and accurate testing, be sure to cure before burning.  Bare minimum...a week.  Ideally 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Sounds like you are overwicked. Use the Candle Science wick guide. It is pretty accurate for 6006.  You can also find wick recommendations on the product page for each container CS sells.  They recommend Eco wicks, and they do work well in 6006.   For a good burn and accurate testing, be sure to cure before burning.  Bare minimum...a week.  Ideally 2.

I guess, I have to let them cure more than 3 days uh? SMH,... I think I got the wrong person to follow SMH. Also, I tried to get those from CS but seems that everyone is out of stock of everything at the moment. I was waiting for these candles to make an other order in Aztec with the wicks, so I guess I have to check them better and get any size to be sure.

Thank you

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GretaB said:

I guess, I have to let them cure more than 3 days uh? SMH,... I think I got the wrong person to follow SMH. Also, I tried to get those from CS but seems that everyone is out of stock of everything at the moment. I was waiting for these candles to make an other order in Aztec with the wicks, so I guess I have to check them better and get any size to be sure.

Thank you

Curing really does make a difference. People think it’s for throw, but it’s not in this case. 6006 usually throws well immediately, but it doesn’t burn very well immediately.  

Bittercreek has Eco wicks in stock right now.  Depending on where you are, the shipping might be high.  If so, check their eBay listings. They sell their wicks on eBay w/free shipping. They even have a sample pack listed.

• Like 1

Thank you @bfroberts! I found them on Ebay, they didn't have any on the website for some reason. Quick question, I am following Wayne from Black barn tie on you tube as well and he said that for 6006 It's ok to use 700 series, zinc ,HT  what do you think? On Candlescience website I just see Eco4 for the container that I am using and Eco 8 for the one I would like to use, do you think I should just stick to Eco or try different type of wicks?

10 minutes ago, GretaB said:

Thank you @bfroberts! I found them on Ebay, they didn't have any on the website for some reason. Quick question, I am following Wayne from Black barn tie on you tube as well and he said that for 6006 It's ok to use 700 series, zinc ,HT  what do you think? On Candlescience website I just see Eco4 for the container that I am using and Eco 8 for the one I would like to use, do you think I should just stick to Eco or try different type of wicks?

I’ve tried all the wicks in 6006, and I prefer Eco. HTP burn nice but they have a tendency to lean if the melt pool gets too deep, and is especially hard to prevent at the bottom of the container.  CD work well but still have a tense to lean, although not as badly as HTP. LX burn fine but don’t self trim as well as the others. Zinc burn fine but they don’t trim at all and can mushroom more than Eco.  Premier wicks don’t trim, they mushroom, and I think throw is diminished with them.  So that’s why I don’t use those wicks.  You may like them fine, but I’d caution against trying to test too many things at once. It muddies the waters.  

• Like 1

Guest ambar
On 2/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, bfroberts said:

I’ve tried all the wicks in 6006, and I prefer Eco. HTP burn nice but they have a tendency to lean if the melt pool gets too deep, and is especially hard to prevent at the bottom of the container.  CD work well but still have a tense to lean, although not as badly as HTP. LX burn fine but don’t self trim as well as the others. Zinc burn fine but they don’t trim at all and can mushroom more than Eco.  Premier wicks don’t trim, they mushroom, and I think throw is diminished with them.  So that’s why I don’t use those wicks.  You may like them fine, but I’d caution against trying to test too many things at once. It muddies the waters.  

Hi @bfroberts! You seem to know a lot about this wax (& I believe you might have given me wick suggestions before for this same problem I’m having). I’m triple wicking a wide container. wick suggestions on candlescience are CD 4 for Jars up to 4.5”. My container is 4.7” wide and 3” tall. I don’t have CD 4, so I’ve used the following:

CD 6 - great throw but tilt and drown out within 2 hours. They also made the wax very dirty.

CD 8 - made it to 3 hours but titled and drowned out. The jar wasn’t as hot as I had expected it to be, considering the size is much bigger than suggested on candlescience

premier 735 - drown out in 20 min

premier 745 - drown in 1 hour

eco 1 & 2- both great start but drown out in an hour

eco 4 - seemed great but wick gets small and eventually dies out!!!

& I have finally tested Premier 755 and so far it’s performed best but the wick continues to tilt, or the flame gets tiny. 

I AM SO LOST! what am I doing wrong? I thought premier 755 would be too big to triple wick so I’m surprised it’s been the best! Perhaps they aren’t “drowning out”, just tilting over.... but I’m so confused! Any suggestions??

8 hours ago, Guest ambar said:

Hi @bfroberts! You seem to know a lot about this wax (& I believe you might have given me wick suggestions before for this same problem I’m having). I’m triple wicking a wide container. wick suggestions on candlescience are CD 4 for Jars up to 4.5”. My container is 4.7” wide and 3” tall. I don’t have CD 4, so I’ve used the following:

CD 6 - great throw but tilt and drown out within 2 hours. They also made the wax very dirty.

CD 8 - made it to 3 hours but titled and drowned out. The jar wasn’t as hot as I had expected it to be, considering the size is much bigger than suggested on candlescience

premier 735 - drown out in 20 min

premier 745 - drown in 1 hour

eco 1 & 2- both great start but drown out in an hour

eco 4 - seemed great but wick gets small and eventually dies out!!!

& I have finally tested Premier 755 and so far it’s performed best but the wick continues to tilt, or the flame gets tiny. 

I AM SO LOST! what am I doing wrong? I thought premier 755 would be too big to triple wick so I’m surprised it’s been the best! Perhaps they aren’t “drowning out”, just tilting over.... but I’m so confused! Any suggestions??

How long are you curing before burning?

7 hours ago, bfroberts said:

How long are you curing before burning?

I cured initially for 2 weeks, and about ~24 hours before each wick test. 

Edited by ambar
Updated time between wick testing

7 hours ago, ambar said:

I cured initially for 2 weeks, and about ~24 hours before each wick test. 

If cured for 2 weeks, they should be good to go.  I see a lot of drowning wicks if the candle is burned too soon, but that usually works itself out with a decent cure time.    Are you using a heavy or hard to burn FO?  High FO load?  Are the wicks actually leaning/falling over?  Do you have pics?

HI! I just lit a testing candle that I left cured for 1 week, and I can smell it, but still it's not strong as I want it. Do you think that I should just let them cure more for longer for a stronger HT? also, I am using the 700 series and it's a good melt pool but the wick is kinda giving some burn part in the melt pool, is that normal? I order the ECO series and I am waiting for them. I am thinking on ordering the other kind( zin,paper wick etc) to do some testing as well.

@bfroberts

Just now, GretaB said:

HI! I just lit a testing candle that I left cured for 1 week, and I can smell it, but still it's not strong as I want it. Do you think that I should just let them cure more for longer for a stronger HT? also, I am using the 700 series and it's a good melt pool but the wick is kinda giving some burn part in the melt pool, is that normal? I order the ECO series and I am waiting for them. I am thinking on ordering the other kind( zin,paper wick etc) to do some testing as well.

@bfroberts

Also, do you think that Essential Oil works better for a HT? I see many candle made with them, and the BBW have a strong HT & CT but I can't get the same one with fragrance oil.

49 minutes ago, GretaB said:

@bfroberts

It really just depends on the FO. They all perform differently.  You just have to test a longer cure time to see. Some are light no matter what you do.

I don’t use Premier wicks in 6006 but I have tested them. I have had the wax discolor when using them, usually when overwicked.  I’m not sure if that’s what you are seeing or if it’s debris from the wick. Both can be unsightly.  I also feel like other types give a better HT.  I like Eco best. LX can also be nice. I use zinc mostly when doing larger multi wicked containers, not for singles.  My main candles are sold in 16oz square masons or tumblers, and Eco gives the best overall performance.

44 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

It really just depends on the FO. They all perform differently.  You just have to test a longer cure time to see. Some are light no matter what you do.

I don’t use Premier wicks in 6006 but I have tested them. I have had the wax discolor when using them, usually when overwicked.  I’m not sure if that’s what you are seeing or if it’s debris from the wick. Both can be unsightly.  I also feel like other types give a better HT.  I like Eco best. LX can also be nice. I use zinc mostly when doing larger multi wicked containers, not for singles.  My main candles are sold in 16oz square masons or tumblers, and Eco gives the best overall performance.

Yes, I have been using Fo from different company, and CS orange blossom & Amber Noir didn't perform well at all. Now in this one I have Fo from Flaming candle and Aztec, it seems they are stronger. Also, I think that flowery FO don't do the strong HT that I want.(or it's just me?)

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

Also, do you think that Essential Oil works better for a HT? I see many candle made with them, and the BBW have a strong HT & CT but I can't get the same one with fragrance oil.

Essential oils are a bad idea for candles. The big box stores will say their candles contain essential oils but they have been infused into the fragrance oils properly in a lab so they have been tested safe to burn they're not just added to it all. I don't think that most of these people that sell candles scented with essential oils really understand how bad it can be. Some essential oils are toxic when burned, they will say 'oh but I use them in my oil warmer and it's fine', but there's a big difference between 'warming' and 'burning' them.

BBW use very specific groups of fragrances that have strong throw, it's not their wax blend being superior over anything else. You can easily fill a room with a small jar with fragrances like macintosh apple, or even some of the BBW dupe fragrances like vanilla pumpkin marshmallow, they're very strong. Of course, there's more to it than that, but that's providing your candle is made ideal in the first place. 6006 you want to add the fragrance at 190 these days to make sure it binds, it's not the case with all fragrances, some will throw when it's added lower but you run that risk of having a crap hot throw. 

6006 is going through a tough time right now, the batches look nice, but after testing every wick series in 2 new lots I didn't find anything that would burn clean, you have to trim the wicks properly. And in that case, like bfroberts already mentioned, the Eco wicks burn well. They aren't self trimming worth a crap these days, but the performance is good, decent hot throw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GretaB said:

Yes, I have been using Fo from different company, and CS orange blossom & Amber Noir didn't perform well at all. Now in this one I have Fo from Flaming candle and Aztec, it seems they are stronger. Also, I think that flowery FO don't do the strong HT that I want.(or it's just me?)

CS has very good oils. At 6-7%, they all throw for me, although some will be stronger.  It’s just the nature of the beast.  

Using EOs can be very tricky for a variety of reasons, not to mention they aren’t very cost effective. You’ll generally have much better results using FOs. The BBW candles are using FOs that have some EO in them. They aren’t using straight EO.  It’s all just marketing.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ErronB said:

Essential oils are a bad idea for candles. The big box stores will say their candles contain essential oils but they have been infused into the fragrance oils properly in a lab so they have been tested safe to burn they're not just added to it all. I don't think that most of these people that sell candles scented with essential oils really understand how bad it can be. Some essential oils are toxic when burned, they will say 'oh but I use them in my oil warmer and it's fine', but there's a big difference between 'warming' and 'burning' them.

BBW use very specific groups of fragrances that have strong throw, it's not their wax blend being superior over anything else. You can easily fill a room with a small jar with fragrances like macintosh apple, or even some of the BBW dupe fragrances like vanilla pumpkin marshmallow, they're very strong. Of course, there's more to it than that, but that's providing your candle is made ideal in the first place. 6006 you want to add the fragrance at 190 these days to make sure it binds, it's not the case with all fragrances, some will throw when it's added lower but you run that risk of having a crap hot throw. 

6006 is going through a tough time right now, the batches look nice, but after testing every wick series in 2 new lots I didn't find anything that would burn clean, you have to trim the wicks properly. And in that case, like bfroberts already mentioned, the Eco wicks burn well. They aren't self trimming worth a crap these days, but the performance is good, decent hot throw.

Thank you so much! I am really having hard time on finding good FO I guess :(  Also, where do you guys are getting ECO? I got the sample pack as @bfroberts suggested me, but now I am wondering where I can get them becasue they are sold out everywhere and many company don'tsell them

40 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

CS has very good oils. At 6-7%, they all throw for me, although some will be stronger.  It’s just the nature of the beast.  

Using EOs can be very tricky for a variety of reasons, not to mention they aren’t very cost effective. You’ll generally have much better results using FOs. The BBW candles are using FOs that have some EO in them. They aren’t using straight EO.  It’s all just marketing.

I guess I have to find the right FO! I got the package od sample ECO you told me, but where can I buy them afterwards? I haven't seen them in any company website.. this will be a problem you think?

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

Thank you so much! I am really having hard time on finding good FO I guess :(  Also, where do you guys are getting ECO? I got the sample pack as @bfroberts suggested me, but now I am wondering where I can get them becasue they are sold out everywhere and many company don'tsell them

They will be back in stock soon almost everywhere, it's just been a rough few months.

When your cd wicks “drown”, is it like they are kind of eating themselves? Like over self-trimming then snuffing out? When this happens in my candles it seems the blend is too acidic. A CDN in that case often solves the problem.  They can have the same lean tendency, but seem to tolerate the extremes better than cd. 

7 hours ago, TallTayl said:

When your cd wicks “drown”, is it like they are kind of eating themselves? Like over self-trimming then snuffing out? When this happens in my candles it seems the blend is too acidic. A CDN in that case often solves the problem.  They can have the same lean tendency, but seem to tolerate the extremes better than cd. 

Yes! They don’t grow any carbon head or anything, they trim themselves too small almost? I don’t have any CDN wicks. Is there anything comparable to that? I might just give up on this wax altogether. 

On 3/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, bfroberts said:

If cured for 2 weeks, they should be good to go.  I see a lot of drowning wicks if the candle is burned too soon, but that usually works itself out with a decent cure time.    Are you using a heavy or hard to burn FO?  High FO load?  Are the wicks actually leaning/falling over?  Do you have pics?

6% FO load with this wax. Scent throw is great, just been hard to find the perfect wick that will last (they throw nicely but drown/lean after ~1-2 hours). No pics unfortunately. I’m going to give it one more try. Which wick do you think is best for triple wicking a 4.7” jar? 

21 hours ago, bfroberts said:

SO the Bittercreek owner cancelled my order on EBAY cause " out of stock or damaged product" now what?? T_T