IGI 6006 testing

GretaB

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

i have a question about my ended product. I have the jar from CS ( medium straight jar) and on their page said it can hold 5.8 oz on wax, but I have my jar with 6.8oz final product. How is that possible? I fill it at line. I tried with their formula and their measurement but it doesn't fill the jar. Is that normal?

You’re weighing, not using volume right? If so, here’s an easy way to tell how much wax/fo a jar should hold. 
weigh the jar empty, then tare the scale. Fill with water to your fill line. Weigh how much water is in there, then multiply that by 0.9 (for primarily soy) or 0.85 or 0.8 depending on paraffin or coconut. 

soy wax is dense, and closer to the weight of the water.

coconut only about 80-85% as dense as water, so less weight/more volume. You will need to play with the multiplier based on your wax since they do vary by retail blend. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2021 at 10:31 AM, TallTayl said:

It is good you have other sizes.  Not every FO works with the same wick size.

CDN wicks are under rated. In soy they burn cooler/less efficiently than the CD counterpart.  In other waxes they seem to burn much more efficiently.

Hi Tall!! I have a question, I used the CDN 4 and it worked fine with my jar from CS, now I had to switch jars since they are always out of stock and for some reason when I tried with half jar for the testing it worked out great, then I tried the full jar and the wick keep curving and falling into the wax. What it can be? Am i cutting it too short? 

Both candles have the CDN.4 and secured on the bottom. I don't know why this is happening 

candele wick.jpeg

To my eye it looks like the wax had a cavity near the wick toward the top

the tiny melt pool combined with the length of wick both point to that 

see if you can scrape out a little wax to somewhat level the top, then trim the wick as usual and light again. 

cd and Cdn definitely do lean and curl a LOT. Annoys me to no end. 

4 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

To my eye it looks like the wax had a cavity near the wick toward the top

the tiny melt pool combined with the length of wick both point to that 

see if you can scrape out a little wax to somewhat level the top, then trim the wick as usual and light again. 

cd and Cdn definitely do lean and curl a LOT. Annoys me to no end. 

ooh ok. Yes I will try that and let you know.

So I was thinking that a they had some sink hole but I didn't fix them because they were tester, do you think that's what caused it?

Also, I used a heat gun before I wicked the jar and poured the wax...

Thank you!!

24 minutes ago, GretaB said:

ooh ok. Yes I will try that and let you know.

So I was thinking that a they had some sink hole but I didn't fix them because they were tester, do you think that's what caused it?

Also, I used a heat gun before I wicked the jar and poured the wax...

Thank you!!

I always check for sink holes/cavities because they wreck a candle burn faster than anything. 

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

I always check for sink holes/cavities because they wreck a candle burn faster than anything. 

even on your testing? also, seems that the HT is not working :( what it could be?? everything was perfect..

6 minutes ago, GretaB said:

even on your testing? also, seems that the HT is not working :( what it could be?? everything was perfect..

I check for sink holes on every candle.

A sink hole will drain the wax from the melt pool into the cavity, flare, and give a false read on the wick.  

Most mistake it for being too small of a wick and continue to wick up, when it is just a fault in the wax set up.

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

I check for sink holes on every candle.

A sink hole will drain the wax from the melt pool into the cavity, flare, and give a false read on the wick.  

Most mistake it for being too small of a wick and continue to wick up, when it is just a fault in the wax set up.

OOh that makes so much sense!! Thank you ❤️

• Like 1