IGI 6006 testing

GretaB

8 hours ago, ambar said:

Yes! They don’t grow any carbon head or anything, they trim themselves too small almost? I don’t have any CDN wicks. Is there anything comparable to that? I might just give up on this wax altogether. 

I am right there with you. I am not sure what else I can do. It seems impossible find the wick for this wax ( ECO )and I don't know if this wax just doesnt work for me either :( Which other wax do you guys suggest ?? @bfroberts @TallTayl @ErronB

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

I am right there with you. I am not sure what else I can do. It seems impossible find the wick for this wax ( ECO )and I don't know if this wax just doesnt work for me either :( Which other wax do you guys suggest ?? @bfroberts @TallTayl @ErronB

I have a container with similar dimensions that’s doing great with 3 Eco 2’s.  I also sometimes use zinc wicks (36z or 44-24z) for multi wicking and they work well. Sometimes a particular FO just gives you fits and a different wick series is necessary.  Additionally, I’ve heard rumblings of a bad batch of 6006. Is it possible you have some of that?  Idk anything about it but I’ve seen some say it doesn’t burn well.

PB600 is nice. It looks good, is easy to use and is easy to wick, but 6006 has a superior throw IMO,

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

What do you think of ProBlend 600?

The same as bfroberts, it is easy to use and wick but the hot throw isn't as good as 6006. I still like it, though. Everyone has different experiences so you might get along with it better, you can always buy small amounts to test from The Flaming Candle.

10 hours ago, ambar said:

Yes! They don’t grow any carbon head or anything, they trim themselves too small almost? I don’t have any CDN wicks. Is there anything comparable to that? I might just give up on this wax altogether. 

Not really comparable. The chemical treatment on the CDN is what made them work well for me when that happens. You may try RRD but they burn completely different than CD or CDN

2 hours ago, GretaB said:

I have never seen anyone suggest cdn, and am not sure why.  There must be a reason... candle cocoon has CDN in several sizes along with sixteen seventeen.com

4 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I have never seen anyone suggest cdn, and am not sure why.  There must be a reason... candle cocoon has CDN in several sizes along with sixteen seventeen.com

I should give them a try as well. I wrote to Aztec support and told them what is going, because it is crazy than in almost 20 candles I havent had any good and strong HT, so I asked them what should I do and why the wax is not working properly. 

22 hours ago, ErronB said:

The same as bfroberts, it is easy to use and wick but the hot throw isn't as good as 6006. I still like it, though. Everyone has different experiences so you might get along with it better, you can always buy small amounts to test from The Flaming Candle.

I just thought about soemthing, I am doing the Formula to get my FO, from a girl that I found on Youtube (memory box) which she got it similar to Jeff stanley, what if I am doing the formula wrong? How are you guys doing the formula? can you share please? @bfroberts @ErronB @TallTayl?

11 minutes ago, GretaB said:

I just thought about soemthing, I am doing the Formula to get my FO, from a girl that I found on Youtube (memory box) which she got it similar to Jeff stanley, what if I am doing the formula wrong? How are you guys doing the formula? can you share please? @bfroberts @ErronB @TallTayl?

I just multiply the wax by the % fo load I want.  

example: 16 oz of wax with 6% FO would be 16x0.06=0.96, which I round up to 1, as in 1 oz per lb of wax.

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

example: 16 oz of wax with 6% FO would be 16x0.06=0.96, which I round up to 1, as in 1 oz per lb of wax.

that's what Kevin from Candle science said in the video. I am about to make a candle in my jar ( a full one) and see if that will match my jar and everything.  If that works... basically I just wasted money & time for no reason. O.o

3 minutes ago, GretaB said:

that's what Kevin from Candle science said in the video. I am about to make a candle in my jar ( a full one) and see if that will match my jar and everything.  If that works... basically I just wasted money & time for no reason. O.o

If you learned something it is not a waste. You invested in your knowledge of this craft. Chandling is NOT and easy thing to master. Every single tiny change is essentially a brand new candle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Also I just have 700 series (745), Paper cord 20-4 1/2 " & and the one I got from amazon that I don't have any idea what it is...

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If you learned something it is not a waste. You invested in your knowledge of this craft. Chandling is NOT and easy thing to master. Every single tiny change is essentially a brand new candle.

You are right, i am just getting so frustrated :(  

4 minutes ago, GretaB said:

You are right, i am just getting so frustrated :(  

It happens to all of us every single day.  Keep plugging away at it and taking good notes. 

4 minutes ago, GretaB said:

@TallTayl which one do you think it could give a "better" result for now?

I don’t use that wax, so it is a shot in the dark based on what I know from other waxes. people who use 6006 use eco, cd, etc successfully - based on the wax, container and fragrance. 

but if it were me I would try Eco, cd or CDN. When I started I bought sample packs from suppliers and learned them one by one.

many wicks are OOS now, which makes this all so much more difficult than it needs to be.  Maybe post a new thread asking if any members have a few they can send to test.

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

The same 1oz to 1lb rule as most people do. It’s not mathematically correct as a fragrance load percentage, but it’s ‘the norm’ for candle making. 

If you’re not getting at least a middle of the road hot throw from 6006 and you’ve added the fragrance at 190 or above and stirred for 2 minutes then I’d try a new thermometer, and if that doesn’t work then you probably have some bad wax. I could put any wick in a 6006 candle and at least smell it, doesn’t mean it is the right size for the container but at least I know the candle is made right. It’s not a common thing to have a batch of 6006 that has no hot throw so I would check everything else you’re doing first before coming to a conclusion.

1 hour ago, GretaB said:

Also I just have 700 series (745), Paper cord 20-4 1/2 " & and the one I got from amazon that I don't have any idea what it is...

I had success with a Premier 755 and 6006 at 6% and 7% with Peppermint Eucalyptus from CS.  My batch of 6006 was from August 2020.  It threw amazingly well for me.  Give the 745 a shot... you have nothing to lose. 

Edited by SRez
adding

28 minutes ago, ErronB said:

The same 1oz to 1lb rule as most people do. It’s not mathematically correct as a fragrance load percentage, but it’s ‘the norm’ for candle making. 

If you’re not getting at least a middle of the road hot throw from 6006 and you’ve added the fragrance at 190 or above and stirred for 2 minutes then I’d try a new thermometer, and if that doesn’t work then you probably have some bad wax. I could put any wick in a 6006 candle and at least smell it, doesn’t mean it is the right size for the container but at least I know the candle is made right. It’s not a common thing to have a batch of 6006 that has no hot throw so I would check everything else you’re doing first before coming to a conclusion.

You are right! I wanted to buy an electric one to be ore specific.I will try to mix the fragrance higher than 190 and see. I made 2 testing candle with the CS formula but it didn't feel the jar, so If I can smell it this way I will try to use that formula for the numbers that I got before.

Thank you!

24 minutes ago, SRez said:

I had success with a Premier 755 and 6006 at 6% and 7% with Peppermint Eucalyptus from CS.  My batch of 6006 was from August 2020.  It threw amazingly well for me.  Give the 745 a shot... you have nothing to lose. 

Yes I am ordering different size of wick series 700 to have them home and see actually which one could be a better pick for this jar. I did a 7% today with Eucaliptus & clean cotton from Aztec, let's see!! Thank you I will try your combination as welL!

15 minutes ago, GretaB said:

Yes I am ordering different size of wick series 700 to have them home and see actually which one could be a better pick for this jar. I did a 7% today with Eucaliptus & clean cotton from Aztec, let's see!! Thank you I will try your combination as welL!

I forgot to mention that my setup was in a 3" diameter tumbler / status jar for that size wick.  

• 2 weeks later...

@TallTayl I got the CDN from SixteenSeventeen and for the FIRST time I had a good/decent HT with CDN4!!! Thank you so much!! Now I am testing CDN 4 with other fragrances and hopefully it will work great as well!! I got CDN 5 &6 but it doesn't seems work well with them!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, GretaB said:

@TallTayl I got the CDN from SixteenSeventeen and for the FIRST time I had a good/decent HT with CDN4!!! Thank you so much!! Now I am testing CDN 4 with other fragrances and hopefully it will work great as well!! I got CDN 5 &6 but it doesn't seems work well with them!

It is good you have other sizes.  Not every FO works with the same wick size.

CDN wicks are under rated. In soy they burn cooler/less efficiently than the CD counterpart.  In other waxes they seem to burn much more efficiently.

Just now, TallTayl said:

It is good you have other sizes.  Not every FO works with the same wick size.

CDN wicks are under rated. In soy they burn cooler/less efficiently than the CD counterpart.  In other waxes they seem to burn much more efficiently.

yes, I will definitely try the other sizes with other fragrances, I am trying to get done at least 3/4 fragrances so I can make them and start getting customers! Thank you so much for your advice!

In an other note, I think Aztec lost my business. I have been waiting for more than 2 weeks for their customers support to help out with the issues I had and still nothing. I am so disappointed on them.

i have a question about my ended product. I have the jar from CS ( medium straight jar) and on their page said it can hold 5.8 oz on wax, but I have my jar with 6.8oz final product. How is that possible? I fill it at line. I tried with their formula and their measurement but it doesn't fill the jar. Is that normal?

45 minutes ago, GretaB said:

i have a question about my ended product. I have the jar from CS ( medium straight jar) and on their page said it can hold 5.8 oz on wax, but I have my jar with 6.8oz final product. How is that possible? I fill it at line. I tried with their formula and their measurement but it doesn't fill the jar. Is that normal?

All I know is they have 2 different "medium" ss jars and one is slightly bigger than the other.  Either way, no biggie.  It's rarely exact anyway because there is always a little variance btw waxes, FOs, etc...