Wicks for igi4630

1 minute ago, QueenB016 said:

190 isn’t too high?? I add between 185-175 and try to pour at 165-160! I’ve gotten good hot throw in 2 scents!

I'd be writing for hours if I explained everything I have discovered by testing all that. But I'll tell you right now with the recent batches of IGI paraffin type waxes if you don't add it hot you're going to have problems unless the FO just happens to be one which will throw in anything at any temp. I don't know exactly what they've been doing to the waxes lately but they are more stubborn. It's not too hot, give it a try, and if you don't get a good throw after that then I'd look into other things like how long you're stirring in the FO, and the wicks you're using. Wicking is a whole nother story, but you should rule any problems out of your process first before getting to that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok thanks! And I cure any wax I use at least 7 days or longer just to be sure! I’ll try 190! I’m testing zinc and premiere wicks this week! So far HTp is the only wick that gave me good hot throw in any wax! But now idk where to get them from! I hear they are switching them up! But thanks for the advice!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bfroberts said:

For 4630, zinc and LX.
For 6006, Eco, LX, CD, zinc

The Candle Science wick guide is pretty accurate for both of those waxes.  

I really like the LX.  The Zinc  mushrooms a little to much for me.  But both have a steady burn and nice HT

Container plays a big part too.  I use 16oz square masons mostly.  A taller container with shoulders holds in a good bit of heat as it burns down allowing you to use a smaller wick than you would with a tumbler type container of the same diameter.  This can result in a smaller, more controlled flame, slower burn, less mushrooming.  There are a lot of factors at play.

On 11/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, ErronB said:

I'd be writing for hours if I explained everything I have discovered by testing all that. But I'll tell you right now with the recent batches of IGI paraffin type waxes if you don't add it hot you're going to have problems unless the FO just happens to be one which will throw in anything at any temp. I don't know exactly what they've been doing to the waxes lately but they are more stubborn. It's not too hot, give it a try, and if you don't get a good throw after that then I'd look into other things like how long you're stirring in the FO, and the wicks you're using. Wicking is a whole nother story, but you should rule any problems out of your process first before getting to that. 

I made is melts with 4627 that are seriously under-performing, could it be that my wax wasn't hot enough? I've been thinking about remelting and adding some more FO to bring it to 10%.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, bfroberts said:

For 4630, zinc and LX.
For 6006, Eco, LX, CD, zinc

The Candle Science wick guide is pretty accurate for both of those waxes.  

So you thinkl LX 18 for my 3 inch tins would be ok? not LX 20  to big I bet.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, Forrest said:

I made is melts with 4627 that are seriously under-performing, could it be that my wax wasn't hot enough? I've been thinking about remelting and adding some more FO to bring it to 10%.

It's definitely a possibility, I'd give it a shot. If that doesn't work then there has to be something off with the wax because 4627 is one of the biggest throwing waxes I ever used, only 2nd to CBL-129 in my opinion, that stuff literally blows my house to pieces.

1 hour ago, karinz40 said:

So if it's good to  half way down it's the one?

They mean as in from the middle to the bottom, burning the bottom of the candles is where the gremlins come out and try to wreck everything, if you can get a good burn at the bottom without it being ridiculously hot then that's the winner IMO.

Test at half way mark and down, then make a full one with the wick that burns well in bottom half and see how it goes.  When you go down into containers candles will burn faster and hotter than from the top beginning of candle.

Candle tins get hot! so you might have some hang up in beginning of candle but by half way through you should be good.

4 hours ago, ErronB said:

It's definitely a possibility, I'd give it a shot. If that doesn't work then there has to be something off with the wax because 4627 is one of the biggest throwing waxes I ever used, only 2nd to CBL-129 in my opinion, that stuff literally blows my house to pieces.

I know, and I made some tins with the same FO but a previous batch of 4627 and they had great HT. I'll try remelting and adding some FO.

• Like 1