I need help with my HT.

Hello,

I'm new to candle making and I'm sure this question has been asked a million times. I just can't figure out my situation. I bought this wax on Amazon. I'm currently using fragrance oils that I bought at Michaels. The instructions on my wax say to melt it to 160 and then add fragrance oil and cool to 115 and then pour. This seems like really low compared to what a lot of people are doing-I've seen a lot of people say they add the FO at 180-190. Also, my fragrance oil box directions say to add 0.5 fl oz of oil to 1 pound of wax. But most of what I see online say 1 oz per 1 pound of wax. So I need to add more FO for sure. 

So I have two questions. 1) Why is there so much difference in the temperatures compared to what my wax directions are and what I read online for other soy wax users? 2)Is there a way to remelt the wax that did not have enough oil and add more oil and repour? Or will this not help and just waste more product? Is this FO just junk? Also, I have read that some candles need to sit for a couple weeks before having much of a HT. I burned mine after about 24 hours. 

Also, is a double boiler essential? I just used an old non stick pan on low heat-but maybe I'm doing it ALL wrong. 

So I need a lot of help. 🥺 

I should also add that everything else looks great with my candles. The wax melted and hardened fine and it has a great CT. 

I've never used that wax myself but I know some users here use it and like it fine.

As far as the directions are concerned,  I think in general going with the manufacturers' directions is recommended, though experimentation is going to be necessary to make things work.   I do think that going with double boiler is recommended as you don't want to heat the wax directly.

As to the fragrance oil, I think it would be best if you used something from a specialty candle store.   I've never heard anyone say good things about oils found at craft stores.   Soy in general can be somewhat difficult to coax a good hot throw out of and you don't want to handicap yourself any more than you have to.   As far as amount, most people measure by percentage---the common amount to use in soy is 8%.   My candles are 5.4 oz so 8% is .43 oz per candle.

Also, you didn't mention what wick---wicks matter a lot as far as hot throw is concerned, as does cure time.   I would give a soy candle at least a week, though I usually give them two weeks before testing.

• Like 1

Before buying an FO I would look around here for what fragrances other people like in soy since it can be finicky.

My experience personally has been that citrus scents are hard to detect while bakery often work pretty well.  Depending on the maker YMMV of course.

• Like 1

I have heard that michaels uses candlewic wax and FO.  It could be bad info... but I will trust it is true. 

Every wax has its own set of additives that need to melt and mix within a set range to set up and perform to their best. A double boiler is a safe tool until you figure out how to work with your new ingredients.  Many of us use a presto pot to heat wax, but it gets hot in a flash, so small batches are Challenging.  Direct heat, like a stove top, is difficult to manage as it is always “on” and can quickly overheat wax, and if not careful cause wax fire.

DO NOT EVER PUT OUT A WAX FIRE WITH WATER. Keep a big metal lid around to smother the fire. Baking soda and fire extinguishers should also do the job without causing a worse fire. 

I would experiment with what you have, then sit and read the forum for a while to decide what type of candles you would like to learn first. Check out the supplier by state list and visit their web sites to see if they click with you.  The choices can be overwhelming, so pace yourself.  It is addicting. Keep it fun. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Kerven said:

@TallTayl They have coconut wax too. 🤨

Wait... Michaels sells or makes candles from Candlewic stuff? Is that what those super cheap private label candles, that they sell this time of year, are made of?

I'm not sure about Michaels, but the Country Lane brand of candle supplies sold at Hobby Lobby is owned by Candlewic.

Hi there,

Those hobby kits are super super basic. If you go to Candlescience they have this tutorial

https://www.candlescience.com/learning/how-to-make-a-soy-candle

You want a setup like in the photo. Never leave wax unattended when you are melting!

There a number of fragrance oil companies made specifically for candles.

A good place to get some one ounce samples is Aztec, but all the companies have sample size fragrance.

There is a list of companies on the forum of where people buy fragrance from.

More is not better!

55F1C461-7639-48BF-A947-5843EC66905A.jpeg