Wicks (Not HTP) drifting in Glass Glow

I got a small amount of glass glow to experiment with and based on my experience with NG Palm I used CSN's to start with.   

I poured hot and flipped when the top set enough.  Cured them for a week.

But a couple of them drifted all the way to the side during the first burn.    Not all of them though

Is this indicative of holes (i.e. I didn't flip soon enough) or some other issue that I'm not thinking of.   

1 hour ago, prs7979 said:

I got a small amount of glass glow to experiment with and based on my experience with NG Palm I used CSN's to start with.   

I poured hot and flipped when the top set enough.  Cured them for a week.

But a couple of them drifted all the way to the side during the first burn.    Not all of them though

Is this indicative of holes (i.e. I didn't flip soon enough) or some other issue that I'm not thinking of.   

Wick drifting means the whole wick assembly came loose from the jar as in the tab holding the wick came loose. This can only happen when there is not much of a candle left to burn and the remaining wax is completely pooled and the tab was not anchored to the jar properly.

If you made a candle in a jar and filled it with wax and just burned it the wick doesn't drift.

Do you mean the wick is leaning to one side? Do you have a pic of the candle with the wick in question?

Edited by Candybee

Yeah, I used the wrong term---I was hunting a term that expressed that it was way more than just leaning.   I'm used to leaning, but this thing ended up on the other side entirely.   It didn't get like this immediately but it was basically on the other side of the jar after like two hours.   I burnt it a little more and it just kept going to the other side.

IMG_0950.jpg

From what I can see my guess is your wick tab was either not centered or not anchored properly which led to the wick moving. What are you using to anchor your wick? and how do you ensure it is centered? and finally, are you making sure your wick is pulled straight and held at center as the wax is cooling after you poured? are you using any wick centering tools or center bars to hold the wick in place as it cools?

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I use wick stickers.   I'm not 100% sure but I think when I checked the wick sticker was still centered in place.

I don't remember which one I used but I mostly use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/EricX-Light-Candle-Centering-Device/dp/B01MAZKE0B

or this

https://vacandlesupply.com/Wick-Holder-Centering-Tool-for-25-Standard-Jar-12-pcs_p_627.html

I also pull it tight after getting it set (attempting not to unseat the wick).

If I remember correctly I didn't trim before flipping so that is also another potential culprit?

Edited by prs7979

One last culprit could also be the wick came loose from the tab. Happened to me several times. Once I had a whole bag of wicks that weren't crimped tight on the wicks and the wicks were easily pulled out. I didn't notice till after I poured the wax and saw the wick came off the tab and was floating free. Total pain in the patootie. Had to buy another bag and handcrimp each wick to make sure they were all tight.

47 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

On a side note, should people flip jars when using soy? Or is this something just done with palm.

GoldieMN

Palm wax forms a sturdy crust on the top fairly quickly as it cools. This keeps the molten liquid wax inside trapped When flipped. Palm wax is either liquid or solid, there is no “slush” like with soy, so the air bubbles are free-floating inside the cooling wax. 

soy wax does not form a stable crust and stays like slush/sludge for a long while as it cools, so  air bubbles do not not move freely. sludge would spill out all over the table if flipped. For soy, it is easier to prevent air pockets with pouring temps.

• Like 1

I did some digging after work last night and it looks like the wick tab came loose from the sticker.  Not completely off but like tilted over if that makes sense.   

It still looked straight when I started burning but I guess as the wax heated up it started turning towards the side.

I appreciate everyone's help in diagnosing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Palm wax forms a sturdy crust on the top fairly quickly as it cools. This keeps the molten liquid wax inside trapped When flipped. Palm wax is either liquid or solid, there is no “slush” like with soy, so the air bubbles are free-floating inside the cooling wax. 

soy wax does not form a stable crust and stays like slush/sludge for a long while as it cools, so  air bubbles do not not move freely. sludge would spill out all over the table if flipped. For soy, it is easier to prevent air pockets with pouring temps.

Whew! Thought I had missed a step. lol Thanks, Sweetie!

GoldieMN

• Like 1