RCX ( Rapeseed & Coconut Wax )

So in an effort to learn a bit more i bought some rapeseed & coconut wax as it claims to be more eco friendly than the soy/para blend that we currently use, the test jars are 20cl, FO load 8%, using a medium size ribbon wick, the melting point of this wax is low, the whole melt mix and pour procedure was done under 140 f, any how to get to the point does a low melt point wax release fragrance ( ht ) sooner than a soy/para blend.

Unfortunately I don’t have an answer to your question as I’m trying to find this out for myself being new to the candlemaking business an all. I do however have a question for you. Can you tell me how easy or not it is to work with rapeseed wax as this is the wax that I have been considering and I’m still torn between this and soy wax. I’ve learnt that so you can come sometimes cause complications with hole on the surface of the candle and that frosting can be an issue so wondered if it was the same for rapeseed wax?

I have not used rapeseed on it's own so can't answer that one but what i will say is that no wax is easy or hard to work with they just have different quirks, you'll find what works best or to your liking by testing and trying some of the methods that the more experienced members on here share.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onyx-uk said:

does a low melt point wax release fragrance ( ht ) sooner than a soy/para blend.

It can. Resist the temptation to wick like a soy candle.  The Coconut blends I have used tend to liquify much more easily than other waxes. When the heat cycle begins the soot cycle begins. 

HT in lower MP waxes comes from the flame launching fragrance into the air versus the heat of a large melt pool. In other words, don’t treat it like a wax melt with a wick. 

I was just talking to @strugglebrother about rapeseed wax.  One day we will be brave and import some.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies it's helpful, i like to fully understand why and how things work, so far this candle has had one two hour burn and two three hour after curing for a week, all is well so far the next candle will most probably be a complete disaster lol.

Wow. Melt point is approx. 104F. I wonder if it's fully or partially hydrogenated. Is it similar in softness to high melt point coconut oil or vegetable shortening? I'd be intrigued if it is firm, especially if it's brittle like palm kernel flakes. Wondering if it might be more useful as a blending wax but I can't think of much to blend with it other than palm or palm-derived stearic, which would defeat the purpose of using a palm-free wax. Definitely wouldn't leave a candle made with RCX here in a car and during any time of the year... except maybe the coldest in early to mid Jan. Molten wax on auto upholstery is something of a headache.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, Onyx-uk said:

So far i have not found any negatives to this blend so far  but i will be testing it with other FO to see how it behaves.

Hi what wick recommendations do you have with the rcx wax please using it in a 30cl container and tried the recommendations on the candle shack site but havnt had much luck ? 
Thanks

On 1/29/2021 at 11:30 AM, BB candles said:

Hi what wick recommendations do you have with the rcx wax please using it in a 30cl container and tried the recommendations on the candle shack site but havnt had much luck ? 
Thanks

I don't recommend anything other than buying what you think you need plus a size up and a size down and test test test, pour three candle with no FO and test three wicks to find what works for you.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/29/2020 at 7:16 PM, Onyx-uk said:

So in an effort to learn a bit more i bought some rapeseed & coconut wax as it claims to be more eco friendly than the soy/para blend that we currently use, the test jars are 20cl, FO load 8%, using a medium size ribbon wick, the melting point of this wax is low, the whole melt mix and pour procedure was done under 140 f, any how to get to the point does a low melt point wax release fragrance ( ht ) sooner than a soy/para blend.

Thank you for your experience! I was also surprised to see not “soft wax”. But I really like hot and cold throw without any curing time. But the biggest problem for me is small melt pool.. did you solve this problem? Maybe it’s worth to add virgin coconut wax?

On 4/24/2021 at 8:09 AM, Marika Voll said:

Thank you for your experience! I was also surprised to see not “soft wax”. But I really like hot and cold throw without any curing time. But the biggest problem for me is small melt pool.. did you solve this problem? Maybe it’s worth to add virgin coconut wax?

Small melt pool on the first burn use to concern me but after more testing, a second burn  for me is always better with a full melt pool nearer to three hours than the two that i use to aim for, if the pool is still small after three hrs then go up a size.

hth