This is an 8 oz tin I poured  yesterday  AM

Wax is 464  5 oz

Heated to 185

Added .50 Tulips fo from Southest candle

Wick CD 18

Stirred 2 minutes

Poured 135

Burned for 2 hours today at 2 pm to 4 pm and then  blew out

Flame was good, steady no flicker etc and MP was very good even had a little scent

This is mush...

What happened?????

Not exactly sure what caused all this..but a 24hr cure on 464 is no where near long enough for the wax to be fully hardened. The golden rule of thumb for this type soy wax is a MINIMUM of  2 weeks for a cure, then start your testing. If you want to, make two testers and burn one at the 1-week mark, the other at the 2-week mark. 

• Like 1

AM and burned for 2 hours today at 2 pmSounds like a better plan than mine.

The thing is I made an identical one with Rose fo and it looked fine after blow out.  Set hrd.

This may just hve to much fo?

16 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Not exactly sure what caused all this..but a 24hr cure on 464 is no where near long enough for the wax to be fully hardened. The golden rule of thumb for this type soy wax is a MINIMUM of  2 weeks for a cure, then start your testing. If you want to, make two testers and burn one at the 1-week mark, the other at the 2-week mark. 

Question on this - if I made a candle and burned it at week 1, blew it out, and waited another week to burn it, would having burned it at week1 affect anything??

4 minutes ago, candleshiba said:

Question on this - if I made a candle and burned it at week 1, blew it out, and waited another week to burn it, would having burned it at week1 affect anything??

Butting in, if I may. My experience with this is very recent.  I burned this candle at 3 days and it appeared ok at the top on the first burn. Nice flame. Acceptable Ht.

A week later you can see the top would have burned much differently just based on the increasing amount of hang up as it continues down the jar. You can also clearly see how the first burns caused that graining as the uncurled blend melted and cooled at very different rates.  This one looked shiny and perfect after pouring. 

2172C2BB-BFF5-4DA2-A1C5-4060CDE70D7A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Butting in, if I may. My experience with this is very recent.  I burned this candle at 3 days and it appeared ok at the top on the first burn. Nice flame. Acceptable Ht.

A week later you can see the top would have burned much differently just based on the increasing amount of hang up as it continues down the jar. You can also clearly see how the first burns caused that graining as the uncurled blend melted and cooled at very different rates.  This one looked shiny and perfect after pouring. 

This is a great example! Thank you for sharing! 

• Like 1

how about a wax test thread where I/we share results?

thoughts on how to perform the test to keep it simple:

1) I will use tins (I have hundreds of failures already in tins so giving those tins new life would make me feel less bad about them.

2) freedom wax (American Soy’s 464, at least from the intel gathered over the last year that it is 464 🤣) I have a bag purchased recently that will otherwise sit unused.

3) make at least 3 Unscented, uncolored with the same wick.  the first burn for one at 24 hours, one at a week, one at a month. 

4) make comparison candles, Unscented in glass jars with the same diameter as a tin. Compare the overall burn against tins.

a) no neck like a status jar

b) a jar with a minimal neck like a salsa jar

c) a jar with a neck like a square mason

5) make three in the tins with FO that usually require different wicks (learned from past experience). Compare the burns. I have loads of FO I will not use otherwise. To keep simple, burn at the 2 week mark minimum.

what else would be helpful?

EDITED:

created wax wick test thread here:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

how about a wax test thread where I/we share results?

thoughts on how to perform the test to keep it simple:

1) I will use tins (I have hundreds of failures already in tins so giving those tins new life would make me feel less bad about them.

2) freedom wax (American Soy’s 464, at least from the intel gathered over the last year that it is 464 🤣) I have a bag purchased recently that will otherwise sit unused.

3) make at least 3 Unscented, uncolored with the same wick.  the first burn for one at 24 hours, one at a week, one at a month. 

4) make comparison candles, Unscented in glass jars with the same diameter as a tin. Compare the overall burn against tins.

a) no neck like a status jar

b) a jar with a minimal neck like a salsa jar

c) a jar with a neck like a square mason

5) make three in the tins with FO that usually require different wicks (learned from past experience). Compare the burns. I have loads of FO I will not use otherwise. To keep simple, burn at the 2 week mark minimum.

what else would be helpful?

EDITED:

created wax wick test thread here:

I love this idea!! Question from a newbie - why would we test unscented waxes for step #3?  Are we just testing to see how the wax looks aesthetically? Or to see how differently it burns compared to step #5? In terms of other things that are helpful, I'd be interested in adding a 2 week and 3 week mark, so a total of 5 tins maybe? Is that too much? :P I'm happy to experiment as well :D 

22 minutes ago, candleshiba said:

I love this idea!! Question from a newbie - why would we test unscented waxes for step #3?  Are we just testing to see how the wax looks aesthetically? Or to see how differently it burns compared to step #5? In terms of other things that are helpful, I'd be interested in adding a 2 week and 3 week mark, so a total of 5 tins maybe? Is that too much? :P I'm happy to experiment as well :D 

We test unscented to form a baseline for our wax.  Understanding the wax helps troubleshoot problems by eliminating variables. So, yes to see how adding fragrance in step 5 changes the entire candle system. I think many people will be amazed at how different all fragrance oils perform in a simple wax.  

i can add more tins.  Pretty sure I have enough wax.

definitely play along! We can all compare notes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought, but did you recently get this box? The summer humidity has some undesirable effects on wax and 464 can feel wet and hold additional moisture. It looks like its holding some water in the wax -- when you poured was it cloudy or clear? The last 3 boxes I got from Candle Science had to be heated to 210 for a few hours to get the moisture out of it.

😕