What am I getting wrong?

24 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

Here's my thought on this ... I think it would be better to use individual tabs so each wick has its own sleeve ... having to do with the crimping of the metal sleeve onto the wick.  It's a safety feature really.

Good thoughts.

the helix wick is a twisted (braided) Doubled up version of their Aromalite.  It is one tab. That puppy gets HOT. 

Perhaps if thoroughly testing, someone could use a wick tab with a decent sized hole and crimp two wicks sturdily  into it?  Not certain of the dynamics of doubling up flat or cored wicks like this. 

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, birdcharm said:

Here's my thought on this ... I think it would be better to use individual tabs so each wick has its own sleeve ... having to do with the crimping of the metal sleeve onto the wick.  It's a safety feature really.

You are right about that.  It is a safety feature. 

I am in the middle of trying to figure out what would be my best option going forward with this idea.  I can special order wick tabs that can fit two wicks.  But, getting wick tab is very easy part.  Figuring out how to assemble them without investment in wick assembling machine is the biggest problem that I am facing right now.

I got in the habit of purchasing wick by the yard or spool a long time ago since I used to make gel candles more often and needed the wick to be raw (uncoated with wax - causes issues with gel) ... plus, I once had a pre-tabbed pull out on me and it was a real pain, so I decided to do the wicks myself.  I do them by hand with a pair of pliers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

I got in the habit of purchasing wick by the yard or spool a long time ago since I used to make gel candles more often and needed the wick to be raw (uncoated with wax - causes issues with gel) ... plus, I once had a pre-tabbed pull out on me and it was a real pain, so I decided to do the wicks myself.  I do them by hand with a pair of pliers. 

If you can get your hands on a  jewelry crimper it will be life changing. They are  little pliers, but have a channel in the jaws to hold the neck, and a corresponding piece on the other jaw that pokes through the tab to really hold on to that wick.  They end up looking like the machine made ones. 

• Like 1