Smart, real flame candle

ofira

1 hour ago, ofira said:

Hi All,

want to share this new candle technology I just came accros kickstarter

they are selling a real candle that you can light trough your smartphone app !!

would love to hear your thoughts :)

Hmm... Well, for me, my thought is "why"? Seems really worthless to me. :)  Do we really need something else automated in our lives? Do we really need another "app" in our lives? I guess the technology aspect is neat but... that's it. When you lose your phone, your phone is dead or you're doing something else with your phone then you can't light your candle? Doesn't interest me in the least. I enjoy actually getting up off my bum, looking through my candles and then lighting one. LOL. 

43 minutes ago, Laura C said:

Hmm... Well, for me, my thought is "why"? Seems really worthless to me. :)  Do we really need something else automated in our lives? Do we really need another "app" in our lives? I guess the technology aspect is neat but... that's it. When you lose your phone, your phone is dead or you're doing something else with your phone then you can't light your candle? Doesn't interest me in the least. I enjoy actually getting up off my bum, looking through my candles and then lighting one. LOL. 

This has to be some kind of parody video.  It can't be serious, can it?  Tell me it's a joke!

Edited by pughaus
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ofira said:

thought it would be nice lighting several candles at once . . 

nope? :)   

that's what matches do for pennies and without adding to the piles of plastic/electronic waste sitting in landfills for centuries.  

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ofira said:

thought it would be nice lighting several candles at once . . 

nope? :) 

Can't say I've ever considered that a problem. But who knows, you may get rich off the idea. Some people will buy anything. Best of luck. 

Edited by Laura C

1 hour ago, Laura C said:

CORRECTION: Instead of saying "I guess the technology aspect is neat" I meant to refer to the device that lights the wick.

This is brilliant idea, but I think it's over kill as a real flame candle.  It seems like this is connected using bluetooth which means it will only work in close distance.  Baby boomer will never grab phone to turn this on while candle is located front them.  It would be much easier & convenient for us to light it with match or lighter.  It might have appeal to people younger than 35 years old, who want to do everything by pushing a button.

If they can turn this into flameless candle with turn on & turn off feature and have function of releasing the scent, then they would have much better chance of succeeding.

It seems like they only have prototype at this stage.  I am wondering how they managed to developed the ignition device go down along with melted wax and burned off wick?

Neat idea. I’m betting the green power button on the bottom is also a press-to-light and press-to-extinguish? Would love one to try. Hit me up when this is closer to launch. 

my first thought is safety. While the device seems well designed, this will go the way of the plug in wall flower things. People will not want to spend $ on refills and will pour who knows what into those containers.  If you thought wall flowers were a fire hazard when refilled by people who have no idea what they are doing, hold my beer on this one.

• Haha 1

This is your product. You posted it to another forum and it got deleted before it was viewed.  Except you had a link to it. I think it's crazy.  I can light a candle on my own just fine and dandy.  And the fire risk......one way to keep the fire departments going for something crazy.

• Haha 1

I didn't realize the manual lighting of candles was so inconvenient...

What happens if it glitches and the heating element doesn't shut off or randomly turns on? I hope it's not hot enough to ignite the melt pool. The heating element's leads appear to be encased in glass, which seems safe, but I wonder if it moves down with the wick and, if so, how. I didn't see any partially consumed candles in the video so it was hard to get an idea of how it works and its long term performance. Will carbon/soot build up on the heating element during burning and cause problems when relighting? Could prolonged exposure to the flame cause the element to break and short? Does the device and/or app know when the wick has been lit in order to turn off the heating element or does it stay on? If it has a preprogrammed duration, is there possibility of misfires, where the wick fails to light and the process must be repeated?

Edit: About wick trimming... Do wicks require trimming? If so, and the heating element moves with the wick so that it can be used for relighting via the app, how is the wick trimmed without potentially damaging the heating element? If the candle has cooled before trimming, rendering the moving heating element immobile, and the wick is trimmed too short, how will the candle light itself with a larger distance between the element and the wick?

Edited by Kerven
  • Like 1