Questions regarding IGI 4630

I just ordered some 4630 from Candle Science to play around with. I've noticed with other waxes, there are inconsistencies between companies. Does anyone get their 4630 from Candle Science and have good results with consistency? 

I have various HTP sizes, zincs, and just ordered an LX sample pack, are there any other wicks I should consider trying in this wax? I'm also currently using 9 ounce straight side jars.

I plan to start with a baseline of 6% fragrance load using fragrances that I know are strong throwers in parasoy (Macintosh Apple, Caribbean Teakwood, Egyptian Amber). I do have a few fragrances that are rather light in parasoy, (Lovespell, Raspberry Sangria, Jamaica Me Crazy, Sea Salt and Orchid)...Would it be feasible to assume I'm going to need a load higher than 6% with these lighter fragrances? If so, would 8% be a good starting point or will that high of a load cause too much sooting issues? I know you will run into soot no matter what wax used, but I also know paraffin is more prone to it especially with a higher fragrance load. 

I've read a few mentions here of CBL-125 from Candlewic being basically the same thing as 4630, is this true?

Thanks in advance for any input or information you may have. It is greatly appreciated!

You shouldn't have a problem with 4630 being inconsistent. In my very limited experience having the right size wick is more important than the type, but I also used CD wick with 4630. If you search this forum for "wick list" there was a thread that contains my wick list according to size. It has helped me to get my wick size right, but it only goes up to a CD10.  Between the wick list and learning to do a wickectomy  finding the right wick has become much easier.

• Like 1

4630 can vary a bit from batch to batch regardless of supplier.  Most of the time it is pretty consistent, but I’ve had soft gooey 4630 as well as firm 4630. Usually a wick adjustment is not necessary, but it’s always possible, so I do make one small tester candle every time I open a new case to be sure.  I do the same with all waxes.

You don’t need to use more than 6% FO. I may round up slightly just for convenience but I never use more than 7%, ever. There’s no need,  and more FO really doesn’t make the candle stronger IME.  The FOs you mentioned throw great at 6% in 4630.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

You shouldn't have a problem with 4630 being inconsistent. In my very limited experience having the right size wick is more important than the type, but I also used CD wick with 4630. If you search this forum for "wick list" there was a thread that contains my wick list according to size. It has helped me to get my wick size right, but it only goes up to a CD10.  Between the wick list and learning to do a wickectomy  finding the right wick has become much easier.

Was going to check that out last night and forgot, thanks for the reminder!

2 hours ago, bfroberts said:

4630 can vary a bit from batch to batch regardless of supplier.  Most of the time it is pretty consistent, but I’ve had soft gooey 4630 as well as firm 4630. Usually a wick adjustment is not necessary, but it’s always possible, so I do make one small tester candle every time I open a new case to be sure.  I do the same with all waxes.

You don’t need to use more than 6% FO. I may round up slightly just for convenience but I never use more than 7%, ever. There’s no need,  and more FO really doesn’t make the candle stronger IME.  The FOs you mentioned throw great at 6% in 4630.

Thanks for the feedback. So excited to try this stuff!

My latest batch of 4630 is burning nice same as always, very clean burn for having no soy. Got Macintosh Apple at 6% burning now and even in a small tin it's got a pretty nice hot throw. 

I usually use HTP or LX, zinc is a last resort for me.

4 hours ago, ErronB said:

My latest batch of 4630 is burning nice same as always, very clean burn for having no soy. Got Macintosh Apple at 6% burning now and even in a small tin it's got a pretty nice hot throw. 

I usually use HTP or LX, zinc is a last resort for me.

I plan to test zinc last. Currently using it in 6006 and it's okay but hate the absolute need to trim them and the mushrooming. With 4630, do you think an HTP 52 would be a good place to start testing in a 9 ounce straight side?

13 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

I plan to test zinc last. Currently using it in 6006 and it's okay but hate the absolute need to trim them and the mushrooming. With 4630, do you think an HTP 52 would be a good place to start testing in a 9 ounce straight side?

A 3 inch wide container? That's too small, I'd start with something a few sizes up.

1 hour ago, BusyBee said:

You would need to go little bigger on HTP wick size  for your candle.

https://www.theflamingcandle.com/wick-guide/

http://www.atkinsandpearce.com/candle-solutions/product-pages/htp/

Yeah I’ve seen those guides, I use a 52 or 62 in joy wax and 6006. Guess I’ll probably have to bump up to a 73 or 83 with 4630 

• 3 months later...

Interestingly enough, I just got a new batch of 4630 and while the "look" was the same, I had to rewick.  I blend it with 464 and couldn't figure out why my melt pools were no longer as large as they were before.  Then I remembered I started in on a new batch of 4630.  My guess it is about 1/2 a wick different, but still, now I've learned I need to check this every time I get a new batch.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paintguru said:

Interestingly enough, I just got a new batch of 4630 and while the "look" was the same, I had to rewick.  I blend it with 464 and couldn't figure out why my melt pools were no longer as large as they were before.  Then I remembered I started in on a new batch of 4630.  My guess it is about 1/2 a wick different, but still, now I've learned I need to check this every time I get a new batch.  

As I’m right in the middle of testing 4630 from a 4 month old wax batch 🤦🏻‍♂️  

9 hours ago, dustinryan2010 said:

As I’m right in the middle of testing 4630 from a 4 month old wax batch 🤦🏻‍♂️  

Honestly, beyond this little hiccup, it has been fine.  Just one step to add to your process when a new batch comes in.