Is it easy to make soap with 1/4th lotion in the final product?

CandleMaker3D

I live in a cold climate (almost in an arctic tundra realm even if just at times) and yesterday the high was -1F/-2F (around here) and the low was -15/-20F. It gets extremely dry here to as well when it's this cold out.

I buy soap that has 1/4th lotion in the final product. I'm wondering is it easy to add that amount of lotion into a bar of soap?

I make candles usually, but was kind of curious about soap making.

Edited by CandleMaker3D

what Is the product?

“Soap” can be superfatted to allow extra oil and glycerin to be left behind on skin. Additionally, the selected oils In a particular soap formula can all play differently. Example, coconut oil only contains fatty acids that can strip skin of all oils easily. olive oil contains a fatty acid profile that is generally less cleansing. Put both together and you get an entirely different profile. 

dove is the only beauty bar (not a soap) marketed as 1/4 moisturizing cream I can think of.  It is a bar of surfactants - not a soap.  Not a bad product, but not soap. 

it is not hard to make soap.  Finding the right soap recipe for you may be like learning which wax is right for your candles. 

A simple solution I gave my brother is to purchase Dr. Bronner's soap and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the bottle.

You could also buy some melt and pour "soap" - and add addtivies cocoa butter, olive oil etc. You can't add too many oils or it cuts the lather and makes rubbery soap.

if you like candlemaking, soapmaking is good fun, a challenge and a bubbly hobby.

I love to make cleansing bars from surfactants and fatty acids! The formulas can be tweaked almost endlessly to make a truly customized cleaning experience. 😁 It's been a while since I looked at the ingredient list, but I think Dove's "lotion" is just stearic acid. An easy way to make a detergent based lotion bar would be to get some opaque melt and pour, and add in some extra oil as mentioned above.

Like TT said, actual soap is a whole different thing, but just as fun to play with. Again, small tweaks to the formula make the possibilities endless.

When I was first learning soap, the earlier blog posts at Brambleberry were very helpful. I also learned a lot from just reading posts in soapmaking forums. 

For creating your own surfactant based cleansers, Swift Crafty Monkey is a fantastic resource.

You can make some amazing lotiony feeling soaps by superfatting. Also, a couple of my favorite additives in soap to give it a nice moisturizing feel are lanolin and glycerin. I also like to superfat the same soap with a nice butter like cupuacu. My skin feels super moisturized with this combo.

So many possibilities with a variety of additives and or superfatting your recipe. 

Other favorite additives are:

fresh avocado puree

aloe vera juice

oatmeal

milks; goat, coconut, almond, etc.

cocoa, shea, or mango butters