Candle Safety-How hot is too hot

There was a candle video posted somewhere here which addresses heat. I believe the temp should stay under 170. It may even be lower then that. You can use an  Infrared thermometer to check.

Right now I’m burning an 8 oz square jar over 5 hr. And it’s just warm, full melt pool 1/4 inch deep, lower half of jar when things really get heated. I could hold it non stop with no issues. My early Candle days, they were so hot I could not hold them much less move them to another location. Over wicking contributes to heat.

Someone else will chime in I’m sure.🌸

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CaptnKush said:

I could have sworn that video of the guy testing said it was 140 degrees.

Yes, there is a video on YouTube and it says 140*F for glass. The video is done by a man who tested candles for a living based on safety standards.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info all.  I had a couple that I felt were getting warm but I don't think they were anywhere near 140 and certainly not near 170.  I'd say they were equivalent to a very hot cup of coffee.  Not hot enough that you couldn't hold them but hot enough that you certainly noticed it.  I didn't have my temp gun with me and didn't think about it before I blew it out but I'll start checking them more closely.