c3 mix with coco2

i am kind of new to this and have given up on ecosoya!  i am testing c-3 with coco2  soy 80% coco 20% has anyone tried this and which wick is looking good? I am having some success with cd 18 or cd20 in 3" dia tin but maybe burning too hot? too fast?  the burn pool reaches the edge at the 3 hour mark but the flame is a little high? wondering if this is too dangerous?

1 minute ago, NightLight said:

If you think too hot, try one wick down test 3 hours. Or try different wick series and see how burn is. Cd wicks burn hot.

thank you nightlight   i am very confused with all this,  melt pool should reach the edge of the container,  like if my container is 3" the melt pool should reach the sides within 3 hours? so the smaller wicks "cd"  don't reach the edge even after 4 hours 😞  in the first burn this is so frustrating, I have htp and cdn's for testing too, I thought those would not be hot enough? do you have a suggestion as to which series to try next :-)   i appreciate any and all advise from someone else going through all this testing testing !    soy needs a hotter wick, coconut needs a smaller wick I'm so overwhelmed !!!!! I am about to give up entirely with any kind of soy 😞 

Look for a flame that appear proportional to the container.  If it looks too big, it probably is. 

I really wish you tube and Facebook groups would just stop with the whole full melt pool in x hours in first burn nonsense. I you’ve ever burned one of their candles, just wait til the half way point. Yeehaw they get hot and sooty, 

a little hang up is not the same as tunneling. Hang up on the first third of the candle, especially in taller jars, helps create a perfect environment for Safe and true scent throw throughout the candle’s life. 

• Like 2

First test C3 without coconut, then test with coconut. You have to see how C3 burns first. I like htp wicks with C3. Similar to Cd wicks.

with tins I like to go down a wick from a glass jar because of the tin material and also the depth of the tin. You don’t need a super edge to edge clean burn on a tin as the tin hides remainder, it will usually clear up after half way if that makes sense.

Have you worked with plain C3 first?

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Look for a flame that appear proportional to the container.  If it looks too big, it probably is. 

I really wish you tube and Facebook groups would just stop with the whole full melt pool in x hours in first burn nonsense. I you’ve ever burned one of their candles, just wait til the half way point. Yeehaw they get hot and sooty, 

a little hang up is not the same as tunneling. Hang up on the first third of the candle, especially in taller jars, helps create a perfect environment for Safe and true scent throw throughout the candle’s life. 

that all makes so much sense!! thank you TallTayl and everyone on this site!!! I am so glad to have found this! I am learning sooo much here. I have been testing ALL my candles using this method of full melt pool in 3 hours:-(   this is so stressful and taking all the joy out of making what I hope will eventually be a candle I am comfortable with to sell. I have wasted at least a year with cb advanced soy and retesting the last 50lb box of it now with adding coconut2 and then they went out of business! so now I'm testing the c3 with the coconut2 but I am really  in tears with all this testing and i'm fed up with soy in general and its unpredictability !  But I am seriously considering trying the elite 200 because it sounds like a good choice and a little more consistant even if its a little more expensive, I would hope that Nature wax wont go out of business   I have talked with someone at  UScandlesupply about the elite 200 and they were extremely helpful   sorry for going on so long I have no one else who knows what i'm talking about!!   so any thoughts about the elite200 and adding coconut and would the htp and cd be a good place to start again? maybe smaller like the cd14 & 16?

3 hours ago, NightLight said:

First test C3 without coconut, then test with coconut. You have to see how C3 burns first. I like htp wicks with C3. Similar to Cd wicks.

with tins I like to go down a wick from a glass jar because of the tin material and also the depth of the tin. You don’t need a super edge to edge clean burn on a tin as the tin hides remainder, it will usually clear up after half way if that makes sense.

Have you worked with plain C3 first?

thank you nightlight, I have not thought about testing the c3 first  😞   I really like the way the coco2 helps with the soy, burn and hot throw etc so decided to test it right off thinking it would be close to the cb advanced with coconut2 i have been using .  but now I am looking at the elite200  🙂   do you have any experience with the elite200?

Very different kind of wax. It’s very hard, but is has its applications. Eocosoya old was decent, the newish version was horrible and nonexistent now anyway.

If you post for an all purpose easy pour wax people will give suggestions. Many people like the Candlewic blends, Nature Gardens blends.

if you can afford to test get some samples in of different wax blends and see what appeals to you.

40 minutes ago, NightLight said:

Very different kind of wax. It’s very hard, but is has its applications. Eocosoya old was decent, the newish version was horrible and nonexistent now anyway.

If you post for an all purpose easy pour wax people will give suggestions. Many people like the Candlewic blends, Nature Gardens blends.

if you can afford to test get some samples in of different wax blends and see what appeals to you.

Thank you soo much! I made few test candles with C3 and coconut and yes I agree the first thing I noticed is how much harder it is. my peppermint swizzle from RE had NO HT in my CB advanced this last box. Last year it was great now for the wait to see how it does in C3

Still debating on the elite200😩 the holidays are almost here🤣

1 minute ago, Auntjulie said:

Thank you soo much! I made few test candles with C3 and coconut and yes I agree the first thing I noticed is how much harder it is. my peppermint swizzle from RE had NO HT in my CB advanced this last box. Last year it was great now for the wait to see how it does in C3

May I ask which wax you prefer?

On 10/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, Auntjulie said:

Just a heads up on the Elite 200....I have been trying to get ahold of US Candle Supply since last week. There has been no answer on ANY of the 3 extensions. I left a message a couple of times last week, but no call back. A couple weeks ago they only had 9 cases of the Elite 200 in stock. And that was found after they told me they didnt have any in stock. I purchased one case of 2 different lot numbers out of those 9 cases. Sooo....its not looking good for this wax- from them anyway. Unless someone on here can tell us whats going on at US Candle supply that they arent there for at least a week now??

C3 is a nice wax. Used it for many years. You just need to find the right wick for your particular container.

every retail available wax has had quality issues throughout the last few years.  

elite 200 is more similar to c1 (both contain palm). From what I’ve been able to find to read, Elite 200 just has more of whatever additives are used to hold more fragrance and perhaps modify visual aspects. I like c1 on its own, but love it in a blend of my own now that I understand how it works. It too has had variations from lot to lot. You learn to “read” your wax with time. 

I’ve been most happy with waxes that have more than one supply source. 

12 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

C3 is a nice wax. Used it for many years. You just need to find the right wick for your particular container.

every retail available wax has had quality issues throughout the last few years.  

elite 200 is more similar to c1 (both contain palm). From what I’ve been able to find to read, Elite 200 just has more of whatever additives are used to hold more fragrance and perhaps modify visual aspects. I like c1 on its own, but love it in a blend of my own now that I understand how it works. It too has had variations from lot to lot. You learn to “read” your wax with time. 

I’ve been most happy with waxes that have more than one supply source. 

Thank you TallTayl!!  I appreciate the info and I know you understand this whole industry better than anyone!!   I just hope I haven't made a huge mistake ordering 100 lbs of C3 😞    I panicked when everything I made with my last box of cb advanced so far looks like there will be no HT,  I am running out of time to get this C3 and start curing and retesting the FO I have in order to have something to sell at my first ever Craft Show on Nov. 23rd 😞   I hope you don't mind me asking but I value your opinion,  in your experience would I be better off using the C3 alone or adding some Coconut2?   I was adding coco to the cb advanced and the cd wicks were working with a few htp too, but do you think I can start with those for the new testing on the C3?  and with coconut added?   I'm so sorry for rambling but I am getting really nervous       by the way I am using 8oz tins and Libbey Rocks Glasses   both about 3" - 3.25" if that helps

Edited by Auntjulie
forgot to add what i'm using

I am going to have to correct my last comment. US Candle JUST called me back! They arent going anywhere, so that is really good news! Just really, really busy. I guess I can understand that. Just made me a little nervous. Anyway, he was very informative and took extra time with me since I had so many questions. 

11 minutes ago, Auntjulie said:

oh by the way I am using 8oz tins and Libbey Rock Glasses  both 3" diameter 

What wicks have you been using?

in C3, CD, CSN, RRD and ECO along with cotton core have worked to varying degrees.  

coconut2 is coconut oil with a little soy additive.  It’s no magic bullet. 
F33BAE39-DCE0-4CBF-B47C-9331E5B43AD5.jpeg

I used to add 10-20% 4630 to help fix the visual and burn issues I disliked with C3. It doesn’t “need” anything else, I was personal preference. 

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

What wicks have you been using?

in C3, CD, CSN, RRD and ECO along with cotton core have worked to varying degrees.  

coconut2 is coconut oil with a little soy additive.  It’s no magic bullet. 
F33BAE39-DCE0-4CBF-B47C-9331E5B43AD5.jpeg

I used to add 10-20% 4630 to help fix the visual and burn issues I disliked with C3. It doesn’t “need” anything else, I was personal preference. 

sorry looks like i posted the same thing 3 times!!    I have tried ECO and RRD with not so good results in the beginning with the CB advanced, maybe 2 years ago.   I have been testing recently with all the changes in the cb,    the CD, CDN and HTP   not sure what CSN are?  I was thinking the coco2 (yeah i realize it has a little soy but thinking it wouldn't add up too much)- but thought it would help with the burn and FO load and appearance of this last rotten box of CB!  which I am trashing or just going to use for tarts.  Anyway  long story -  sorry again  -    I have CD, CDN & HTP,  and i guess i will give up for now on the coconut  and just use C3 alone.  Would you suggest I get CSN?  I think i may still have RRD and ECO  and which numbers to start with testing in the C3?    I remember another member telling me I should test the C3 alone by itself!!    I should definitely listen more!  I just LOVE this forum!!!!!    you guy's are all so knowledgeable and help me calm down my nerve cells so I can continue!  :-) 

let's try with what you already have.

C3 tin, try with CD12, cd14, CD16.  

ECO, 10, or 12.

The wick needed for scented version may be higher or lower depending on each individual fragrance oil.

Don't judge by the first burn (unless that flame gets so puny it looks like it will die out). I like a little hang up for the first burn or three. 1/8" all around after the first burn makes me happy, especially if the scent is noticeable in the room. The second half of the container changes EVERYTHING. it can go from 1/4" hang up to completely liquid in the blink of an eye, especially for power burners. 

c3 will continue to harden over the coming weeks/months. This makes it really challenging to wick test on a short time line. 

Adding coconut oil, like Coconut 1 and coconut 2 is the equivalent of adding more fragrance as far as what it does to the chemistry of the wax. It's a variable you may not want to mess with since it can make some waxes more prone to oozing the excess onto the top or pooling within. 

one step at a time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

let's try with what you already have.

C3 tin, try with CD12, cd14, CD16.  

ECO, 10, or 12.

The wick needed for scented version may be higher or lower depending on each individual fragrance oil.

Don't judge by the first burn (unless that flame gets so puny it looks like it will die out). I like a little hang up for the first burn or three. 1/8" all around after the first burn makes me happy, especially if the scent is noticeable in the room. The second half of the container changes EVERYTHING. it can go from 1/4" hang up to completely liquid in the blink of an eye, especially for power burners. 

c3 will continue to harden over the coming weeks/months. This makes it really challenging to wick test on a short time line. 

Adding coconut oil, like Coconut 1 and coconut 2 is the equivalent of adding more fragrance as far as what it does to the chemistry of the wax. It's a variable you may not want to mess with since it can make some waxes more prone to oozing the excess onto the top or pooling within. 

one step at a time.

thank you again for talking me off the ledge LOL   I am just panicking and loosing patience and time to test all new stuff and be ready in time to sell anything come November 23rd.:-(   I feel so much better talking to you and just having a plan and a place to start asap,  I was loosing my mind with all these waxes and wicks and fragrances I already have to start testing yet again.   It seems like that's all I have been doing, oh wait! that is all I've been doing for the last 2 years!  My husband keeps wondering where the money is going and what have I been doing, why haven't I sold anything!   Ha Ha  not funny anymore   but thank you thank you for giving me direction!!!

First of all C3 can be a challenge. Don’t fear you can sell the wax on EBay!

it seems you want an easy pour wax with some soy in it. Flaming candle parasoy is very good.

https://www.theflamingcandle.com/candle-wax/paraffin-soy-blend/problend-600-para-soy-container-wax/

This Wax has a beautiful top and smooth finish afterburn, C3 does get crunchy looking afterburn but you can pour smooth.

This is a very good parasoy blend and I like it better than 6006.

I forget what I wicked it at but Cd or htp should work.

You do have to power burn the wicks to see if they work, mushroom, get too hot etc.

2 minutes ago, NightLight said:

First of all C3 can be a challenge. Don’t fear you can sell the wax on EBay!

it seems you want an easy pour wax with some soy in it. Flaming candle parasoy is very good.

https://www.theflamingcandle.com/candle-wax/paraffin-soy-blend/problend-600-para-soy-container-wax/

This Wax has a beautiful top and smooth finish afterburn, C3 does get crunchy looking afterburn but you can pour smooth.

This is a very good parasoy blend and I like it better than 6006.

I forget what I wicked it at but Cd or htp should work.

You do have to power burn the wicks to see if they work, mushroom, get too hot etc.

Yeah I want something easy but I’m so far into this 😔 it’s the principle now. And of course everyone I know is still on the soy wagon and afraid of paraffin😩 I panicked and ordered 2 50lb boxes of C3 hoping at least they will be the same and I’m running out of time to make my first show ever!  Oh that is a good idea to sell it on eBay 🤔

• Like 1