c3 mix with coco2

congratulations now you are very skilled person💪. I hope you will sell everything next time 😉. Now I feel like you. I can not choose the size of the wick for 2 oz tins (diameter 6,2 mm). Before that, I did a lot of tests for glass jars and I found good option. I was sure that I could use the same size in tins🙄But it was my biggest mistake 😫.

So I have (cured time 2 months):

1. c3 100%, wedo eco 10 wick. It is veeery small, after 2h burning melt pool was less 48 mm. 

2. c3 80%+coconut 20%, wedo eco 12. It is veeery big. After 1h burning, tins was melted and the smell of burnt, not FO.

I know that I should try pure C3, but I don't have time now😭. What do you think about eco 12 in this tins with c3 (without coco)? Can it be so big different with 20% coconut? If someone have experience with TCR wick with c3 in tins?

And eco 12 was not pre-waxed. Is it some differences with waxed wicks?

Edited by Crazy Fox

3 hours ago, Crazy Fox said:

congratulations now you are very skilled person💪. I hope you will sell everything next time 😉. Now I feel like you. I can not choose the size of the wick for 2 oz tins (diameter 6,2 mm). Before that, I did a lot of tests for glass jars and I found good option. I was sure that I could use the same size in tins🙄But it was my biggest mistake 😫.

So I have (cured time 2 months):

1. c3 100%, wedo eco 10 wick. It is veeery small, after 2h burning melt pool was less 48 mm. 

2. c3 80%+coconut 20%, wedo eco 12. It is veeery big. After 1h burning, tins was melted and the smell of burnt, not FO.

I know that I should try pure C3, but I don't have time now😭. What do you think about eco 12 in this tins with c3 (without coco)? Can it be so big different with 20% coconut? If someone have experience with TCR wick with c3 in tins?

And eco 12 was not pre-waxed. Is it some differences with waxed wicks?

I would do a wickectomy on the C3 from eco10 to eco12 and see if your performance is better. 

if you really want to use coconut, drop that to maybe 5 or 10% tops. coconut oil (and coconut waxes) destabilize soy. That easily explains the big melt pool.

one thing that made soy waxes like C3 perform better in my tins was diluting it with a “naked” soy like 415 or midwest soy. Sometimes the pre-blends like c1, C3, 444, etc. have too much additive.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I would do a wickectomy on the C3 from eco10 to eco12 and see if your performance is better. 

if you really want to use coconut, drop that to maybe 5 or 10% tops. coconut oil (and coconut waxes) destabilize soy. That easily explains the big melt pool.

one thing that made soy waxes like C3 perform better in my tins was diluting it with a “naked” soy like 415 or midwest soy. Sometimes the pre-blends like c1, C3, 444, etc. have too much additive.

Thanks so much for the advice🙏. I will continue my experiment. Can you tell, please, where you find information on  additives in waxes. I want to learn about c3, 464 and kerax

1 hour ago, Crazy Fox said:

Thanks so much for the advice🙏. I will continue my experiment. Can you tell, please, where you find information on  additives in waxes. I want to learn about c3, 464 and kerax

I search out technical publications written by the manufacturer and often call the manufacturer directly. I have friends and colleagues in various industries that help start conversations at trade shows. The society of cosmetic chemists has also opened a lot of doors. 

One thing I’ve had to figure out is that the candle wax formulas change without notice in response to consumer demand.   Instead of people learning to wick properly for nice throw, many just add more more more FO, which creates demand for waxes that hold more FO. 

many FO retailers don’t create FO for single use (candles) as the market demands fragrance to fit multiple duties, like soap and lotion.  This limits aromachemicals that perform outstandingly well in candles. Likewise the removal of phthalates due to consumer misunderstanding has thrown a wrench in things. 

Retailers also order concentrations that are suitable for home crafters who use more more more in products. Without understanding safety guidelines such as IFRA, people would cause themselves and others real harm. Plus, super concentrated FO is not generally $14 a lb by the lb common retail. I guess FO retailers make their money on FO volume sold, so if their customers need to use 12% and up to get throw, which throws the wax balance out of whack, then add more fragrance binding ingredients to make up the difference. And the cycle continues. 

I admire your knowledge, thanks for sharing the information.

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I guess FO retailers make their money on FO volume sold, so if their customers need to use 12% and up to get throw

This is terrible, but in this cycle some earn big money. And to be honest, I also began to increase % fo🙄 and this fact I do not like, so I continue to experiment.

I live in Europe and after a short investigation I could not find 415 or midwest. I'll see if there are options for another naked soy. But there are several options for rapeseed wax. Do you have experience adding rapeseed in c3 or c1? Is it as soft as coconut?

16 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Likewise the removal of phthalates due to consumer misunderstanding has thrown a wrench in things. 

You want to say that FO with phthalates work better?

@Crazy Fox

I also use C3 in my candles and just recently I found that prewaxed wicks make a huge difference - I use a 75 mm glass jar and mostly use prewaxed ECO 14 in all my candles that are in these jars. I just recently bought some ECO 14 wick that were not prewaxed and thank god I tested my candles because the candles tunneled like crazy (same wax, same jar and same % of the same FO). I then prewaxed some of the same wicks myself and that helped a little but it still wasn't as good as store-bought prewaxed ECOs.

Anyway, I found that TCR wicks generally throw a lot better in C3 (in the 75 mm jar I mentioned above, I use TCR 36/20). The melt pool is much nicer and the hot throw is waaay better.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 8:30 PM, Auntjulie said:

Thank you for asking! It went pretty well, in as I learned a LOT😉 I made tiny 2oz tins with the C3 wax and only 1 fragrance in the 8 oz tin that I tested all other candles were with my CBadvanced wax. But I didn’t sell many candles 🙁 I sold a few candle melts and warmers though. I think I priced the candles too high?  All in all I made enough to pay for the booth but I had fun after all the hard work and I know what I would do differently now😊

It sounds like it was a good experience, and will help you to know what to do the same....and differently next time.

On 12/9/2019 at 4:26 AM, Crazy Fox said:

I admire your knowledge, thanks for sharing the information.

This is terrible, but in this cycle some earn big money. And to be honest, I also began to increase % fo🙄 and this fact I do not like, so I continue to experiment.

I live in Europe and after a short investigation I could not find 415 or midwest. I'll see if there are options for another naked soy. But there are several options for rapeseed wax. Do you have experience adding rapeseed in c3 or c1? Is it as soft as coconut?

You want to say that FO with phthalates work better?

I’ve not used rapeseed as it’s not one available to me here in Illinois (that I know of anyway).

yes, phthalates in FO did/do help with candle throw.

• 2 months later...