I definitely don't understand this....

I hope this is ok to share.  I saw this on Facebook recently.  It is a Bath & Bodyworks candle.  The consumer says the wicks were in the center when purchased but migrated to the sides after second day of burning for two hours.  The wicks are not attached on the bottom.  Company just keeps saying "we'll look into it".

Bath Body Candle.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Have seen too many FB and other posts of charred dough bowls to believe any of the claims that they are suitable for candles. A candle supplies company sells them, but states not suitable for candles. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Talk about mixed messages. Even if that thing is lined with a metal anywhere the flame may possibly reach, I would think insurance companies would consider dropping candle related product liability coverage. 

my $0.02... why open yourself to potentially causing harm to others for a few $ profit on a candle? We have so many other options for unique, great looking and safe candles.

before someone types, “but I put a sticker on it that says for decoration only...” if it has a wick you and I know it will be lit at some point. 

and another popular one, “ I don’t put a wick.” Or “I just put small wicks.”. People will stuff a wick like thing to light it if it has wax. 

Thank you for the confirmation. I've had several boutiques wonder why I won't sell wood dough bowls as candle containers, and I always say "LIABILITY".  I just thought I would ask because sometimes I tend to be cautious.  Those bowls are not coated with anything on the inside and if they were, what type of caustic fumes would that emit?  I'm going to stick to my original decision and NOT sell flammable bowls with my candles poured in them.  Oh, and you are so right about people stuffing homemade wicks or materials into wax.  Not good.   Wishing you a prosperous year!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JarBinks said:

Thank you for the confirmation. I've had several boutiques wonder why I won't sell wood dough bowls as candle containers, and I always say "LIABILITY".  I just thought I would ask because sometimes I tend to be cautious.  Those bowls are not coated with anything on the inside and if they were, what type of caustic fumes would that emit?  I'm going to stick to my original decision and NOT sell flammable bowls with my candles poured in them.  Oh, and you are so right about people stuffing homemade wicks or materials into wax.  Not good.   Wishing you a prosperous year!

you re 100% right to follow your intuition. Many claim they can spray a fire retardant. Without extensive lab testing, how can you know how much is "enough" to prevent a preventable fire? All of the woods are different.  All wood will continue to age and dry which leads to wood fibers splitting. The splits are not coated so all you're doing is making a large wooden wick... 

Be well, and best wishes to you and your loved ones.

• Like 1

I see everybody on facebook sites SWOONING over those bowls. My GF who makes candles got one from her MIL for Christmas — $65 price tag 😬. I said “wooden bowl and flame” and looked at my friend over the top of my glasses. It was like she’d never thought of it. I said don’t burn it unless you stand right there with it! She offered to give it to me 😂😂 nope...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Candle Nook said:

I see everybody on facebook sites SWOONING over those bowls. My GF who makes candles got one from her MIL for Christmas — $65 price tag 😬. I said “wooden bowl and flame” and looked at my friend over the top of my glasses. It was like she’d never thought of it. I said don’t burn it unless you stand right there with it! She offered to give it to me 😂😂 nope...

See if they can return it. Make those unscrupulous sellers take them all back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2