I definitely don't understand this....

A flame in a flammable container?  
What am I missing?  Is the bowl treated with something?  I mean, if there is seriously a 100% safe way to make candles in wooden vessels, my brain will explode from the possibilities, but it definitely defies my brand of logic.  

https://meltoncandlecompany.com/collections/farmhouse-collection/products/the-bowl

doughbowl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, KrisS said:

"Wooded dough bowl"...maybe it's not actual wood but another material treated to look like wood.  Otherwise, no way on earth I'd do it.

Well, IDK for sure, but the website really does call them "hand carved wooden bowls", so... 

I really can't wrap my mind around this. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, Pam W said:

Why the hell would I pay $32.99 for this candle............as Jcandleattic said;  stupid is as stupid does

Before I knew anything about candle making- I definitely would! I love all things wood. My wedding ring is a wooden ring!

As a customer I would think it must be treated in such a way that it is safe. Otherwise they wouldn’t sell it. Right?!  So, yeah, 10 or 15 years ago I would have totally bought that!

30 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Hopie! Where've you been? 😁😁

I miss your posts!

Aw, just hangin' out all over Arizona, lol. Went up to Williams near the Grand Canyon, then to Camp Verde where we stayed on the Apache Nation rez for two months, now back in Lake Havasu for the entire winter. Our summer was too hot for candle making, so I hadn't been working on candle making. Just broke out the "candle factory" in here again, the air has cooled here in the low desert :) Fun to be back on here, I miss this place. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Those Lush bamboo candles were recalled

INCENSE CANDLES

INHALE (PLU 6156), EXHALE (PLU 6157), VANILLA BRULEE (PLU 6155), THE VOICE OF REASON (PLU 6158)

What's happened: It has been brought to our attention that in the event the flame comes into contact with the bamboo casing for an extended period of time the bamboo could ignite. 

Whilst we have not been able to recreate this situation in testing, as a precautionary measure we are asking that all candles bought from our Oxford Street shop on 23rd, 24th & 25th April 2015 be returned for a full refund.

What you should do: Return your candle to your nearest Lush store, or to LUSH Customer Care, Unit 22-23 Dolphin Quays, Poole, Dorset, BH15 1HU for a full refund.  Any queries please call 01202 668545 or email wecare@lush.co.uk

You do not need your receipt.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Lush Ltd
29 High Street
Poole
Dorset
BH15 1AB

Notice Issue: 29/06/15

On 10/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, bfroberts said:

What am I missing?  Is the bowl treated with something?  I mean, if there is seriously a 100% safe way to make candles in wooden vessels, my brain will explode from the possibilities, but it definitely defies my brand of logic.  

https://meltoncandlecompany.com/collections/farmhouse-collection/products/the-bowl

doughbowl.jpg

I've seen these in a store. IDK if they're treated with some kind of flame retardant but they are definitely wood. 🤦

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

How about these wood containers?  https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.candlequeencandles.com%2Fcollections%2Fdough-bowl-cheese-mold-candles%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3b7RqcBpazLpybebFc5CjCMkBdaGJaww5RrmXb2gbHnpNUwEHdVB4AsXs&h=AT1xgBG6lgPk6CXKBviAJj9IcNwJ2-WJk92QvD-LcpzAlGfmVH_ROj5SAob27BvzSU1ohgD459RE4g2QbjQ1PWbco99KNRTg59pITWPhX6pdeUp_kzONkiJ5NET173YBDQ&__tn__=R]-R&c[0]=AT10GBlIRlUDEJNP0n3dR5WLrsgHnlIwKgaQer3uflMXCPDV7jJCeqy8806YFD5x9eOxZRdkm-CkcE4hJB5Pb9hD6bYcq9Mqrbcx9sK0IRT5lx1ZteW7gAqC-kFSRwAbZq8UwPDXE0GKTQTpaH-gPeC8AqIwpCR8LLgJ_IKG-XAjAyuo

10 hours ago, JarBinks said:

https://www.candlequeencandles.com/collections/dough-bowl-cheese-mold-candles?fbclid=IwAR3b7RqcBpazLpybebFc5CjCMkBdaGJaww5RrmXb2gbHnpNUwEHdVB4AsXs

Sorry about that other bad URL.  Has anyone used these before without burning down the house?  They look nice and rustic but .....

Have seen too many FB and other posts of charred dough bowls to believe any of the claims that they are suitable for candles. A candle supplies company sells them, but states not suitable for candles. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Talk about mixed messages. Even if that thing is lined with a metal anywhere the flame may possibly reach, I would think insurance companies would consider dropping candle related product liability coverage. 

my $0.02... why open yourself to potentially causing harm to others for a few $ profit on a candle? We have so many other options for unique, great looking and safe candles.

before someone types, “but I put a sticker on it that says for decoration only...” if it has a wick you and I know it will be lit at some point. 

and another popular one, “ I don’t put a wick.” Or “I just put small wicks.”. People will stuff a wick like thing to light it if it has wax. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2019 at 7:26 PM, Hopie said:

Aw, just hangin' out all over Arizona, lol. Went up to Williams near the Grand Canyon, then to Camp Verde where we stayed on the Apache Nation rez for two months, now back in Lake Havasu for the entire winter. Our summer was too hot for candle making, so I hadn't been working on candle making. Just broke out the "candle factory" in here again, the air has cooled here in the low desert :) Fun to be back on here, I miss this place. 

Awesome adventures, good for you. That's neat you live in AZ, I bet it's beautiful where you live. I love all the desert states, they are so interesting and beautiful in their own ways.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:33 PM, bfroberts said:

I agree about the wood bowls being a fire hazard and should not be used. Just because something looks pretty doesn't mean it's a good idea. Overall I wish them the best and success with their company.

Some observations I made:

- Well they claim to be sold out of all their products and only offering gift certificates right now. Which they state on their home page. Could be true, or they didn't have much inventory to begin with. Or it's simply a marketing tactic to look like their products are in such high demand which is kinda clever. Anyway, I like the gift certificate idea especially if you are low on stock.

- I love the glass & ceramic containers they are using for their One of a Kind candles. Then again, I hope the ceramic ones have a safe sealant on them so they don't soak up wax like a wick.