Candle testing - how much is too much?

Hey all!

Question for your experts out there:  do you guys do a candle test for each new FO you pick up? If the vessel/wick stay the same, how much of this do you feel is necessary? Let's assume we do some testing for each new FO (from the same brand), do you then do different load percentages and test that way? For example, 7%, 8% and 9%.  So a minimum of 3 candles to test for each new FO -- assuming no other variables change.

How do you guys approach this?

48 minutes ago, TheNovice said:

Hey all!

Question for your experts out there:  do you guys do a candle test for each new FO you pick up? If the vessel/wick stay the same, how much of this do you feel is necessary? Let's assume we do some testing for each new FO (from the same brand), do you then do different load percentages and test that way? For example, 7%, 8% and 9%.  So a minimum of 3 candles to test for each new FO -- assuming no other variables change.

How do you guys approach this?

Definitely need a test for each and every FO. They are ALLLLLLL different in every wax. My dragons blood is a wicker downer in soy blends and a massive wicker upper in other waxes like coconut. the pH and such of the wax messes with burns. 

I make the first tester with the standard 6% and test from there.If it's a dud, I may try 8% max.

Throw is often more ependent on your wick and vessel choice than fragrance load (assuming you're using a reputable FO).  I've had tea lights leaving me gasping for air at 3%, so test until you're confident in the process and take your time.

I always test every fragrance, and each vessel gets its own test too. So for example, if I've been using PFO's Sugar Cookie in a 16oz straight jar, and I suddenly feel like I want to use it in an apothecary jar, I will do a test burn in the apothecary to judge wick size and burn qualities. Even if I already know it performs well in the straight jar.

Personally, I love doing testing. It's the only way I get to enjoy my candle creations. ☺️

I am a chronic tester.  Anytime anything changes, I test.  New container =  test.  New fragrance = test.  I test when I get a new case of wax and when I get a new bottle of FO. Those lessons were learned the hard way.  Any new FO gets tested at 6%.  If it doesn't throw at 6%, I'm not using it in candles.  Maybe soap or melts, but I won't use it in candles and I won't buy it again.  I also randomly test something off the shelf all the time.  I've learned a lot by doing that, and I'd like to think it's made me much better at this craft.  

Yes, test every FO, here is what I do. I choose a wick that tends to be small in my container, with my wax, with most FOs. I make a candle and give it the proper cure time. I burn it for 3-4 hours. If the burn is good I give it a second day, if not I perform a wickectomy and replace the wick with one that seems better and test with that wick. I can usually test 3 wicks in one candle, and 80% of the time that’s enough. I recently tested 18 different FOs in 8oz tins using 6006 and I was shocked at the number of different wicks I needed.

• Like 1

Yes. Test EVERY FO!  I only use 1 wax and 1 container (for sale/gifts) I do use other containers personally.  That helps me curb the amount of testing I do. I make a test candle at 6% 8% and 10% (I use soy and sometimes need 10%). If I don’t get HT at 10% after a 1 month cure (and I start testing at 2 weeks) I let that FO go... I start with my standard wick and then do a ”wickectomy” up or down depending on my burn..

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, bfroberts said:

I am a chronic tester.  Anytime anything changes, I test.  New container =  test.  New fragrance = test.  I test when I get a new case of wax and when I get a new bottle of FO. Those lessons were learned the hard way.  Any new FO gets tested at 6%.  If it doesn't throw at 6%, I'm not using it in candles.  Maybe soap or melts, but I won't use it in candles and I won't buy it again.  I also randomly test something off the shelf all the time.  I've learned a lot by doing that, and I'd like to think it's made me much better at this craft.  

I am an obsessive tester -- every fragrance- every jar- every wick- every wax -- any and all combos.

On that note, I do not tests every new bottle of FO. Do you mean new fragrance or new bottle of currently used fragrance?

I am a beginner and dabbler and have a strong inclination towards instant gratification so as soon as a candle can be popped out of the mold (votives) I light it to see what happens. No cure time, no cooled wax. I do spend a lot of time standing next to candles shouting "Burn, you stupid thing!" My testing is very low and my failure right is extremely high. I'm sensing a connection here. 

I also don't like to do things the sensible way, like purchase premade, tested wicks. Instead I like to hunt around the house for things that should burn (in my opinion) and jam them into candles. This leads to various mostly catastrophic results.  I had some success, much to my surprise, using cotton crochet thread (waxed in bees wax) as wick in my paraffin candles.  But it made a pretty big flame and some pretty deep melt pools. I got a ball of thinner cotton crochet thread, dipped in hot beeswax and wicked with that. Lovely little flame! Steady, bright, well behaved, until the melt pool gets too deep and the wobbly little thread wick plops over and snuffs out. Every single time. 

I admire the self control of all this testing, but oh lord, I don't wanna!