Vitamin E on soap

lauralea

There are many versions of vitamins E. A lot of people use vitamin E mixed tocopherols in base oils to try to help slow oxidation as it’s sold by places like soapers choice.

It’s a double edged sword. Too little does nothing and too much increases the rate of oxidation. Usage rate is super low, like far less than 1%.  What that would mean is your soap if prone do dos would develop DOS much more quickly than if you didn’t use it at all. 

When I was a newbie soaper I tried vitamin E in my base oils and found absolutely no difference with or without it in my soap. Now I choose hardier base oils, and can change the afterfeel with super fat. 

incidentally, quite a few vegetable oils are naturally high in Vitamin e, like canola, soy, sunflower, hazelnut, Avocado, Peanut, almond, etc.  Many of those are usually the least stable oils in soap (more prone to DOS). Of the list, only Avocado and high oleic versions of sunflower have worked long term in my soap formulations.

• Like 2

I’ve never used it in soap because it doesn’t stay on the skin. I save it for body and face moisturizers and serums, I even add it to my oil based perfume. Shea and mango butter I have used, in small amounts but those also are great in products that stay on your skin.

look to use oils that are the most moisturizing for the skin. Avocado, almond, olive oil for example.

Thank you all for your input. I already use almond, avocado and apricot in my soap and it is very moisturizing. I don’t think it needs vitamin e, it was just a customer request.  I’ll explain to her that some of the oils naturally contain it. 

On 3/8/2019 at 2:05 PM, TallTayl said:

incidentally, quite a few vegetable oils are naturally high in Vitamin e, like canola, soy, sunflower, hazelnut, Avocado, Peanut, almond, etc.  Many of those are usually the least stable oils in soap (more prone to DOS). Of the list, only Avocado and high oleic versions of sunflower have worked long term in my soap formulations.

This! I especially love sunflower oil in my soap. Just watch you fatty acid profiles so you don't get DOS. Both olive and sunflower oils in your soap pack a lot of natural vitamin E and I love the extra conditioning sunflower adds to my soap. Makes my skin super soft.