Best Fragrance Vendors for Soy?

aptommo

I've noticed that fragrances seem to react different from vendor to vendor. The Lavender Vanilla I purchased and loved from VA Candle smells completely different than the one I got from Nature's Garden. Do I really have to test them all? That list of suppliers is really extensive. :)

So who are your favorites? Who has the better product and the better prices? (just on fragrance for now)

• Like 1

There are threads on this. You will have to search and read and most oils are different from each supplier. I can order the same fo from 5 different companies and all will smell different.

We have spent thousands on testing etc. What works for 1 might not the other lol.  

It's a thread on just about every supplier as well. Lol. 

Candlewic,candle science and bittercreek are my top 3. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh sorry! I have to get better at searching then. I'll go find the threads on each one and see what's said. :)

Is VA Candle not a fav? I don't see a lot of mentions of them here but they were the first I ever ordered from and that Lavender Vanilla is my personal favorite.

See there Aptommo?   There you go....you have a Lavender Vanilla that throws well for you in your and that is great...

But always remember even with asking what scents are favorites or good ones to order, everyone has their own opinions and most importantly is what wax are they using....what wicks are they using....how much oil are they putting per pound of wax......are they using additives...??   I've looked at VA candle so many times and was going to order but haven't as of today.    Like Scented said just start using the search bar or go under the heading of "Fragrances"....you can keep reading for months on end and what works for this one just may not work for you...and so we test....and we "ALL" are horrible enablers!   We all keep these fragrance houses in business that is for sure...lol   As far as best prices go....you just compare and check one company against the other company.   But I do recommend you go with companies who are consistent good companies to buy from like Candle Science, Bittercreek, Fragrance Buddy, Flaming Candle, Brambleberry, Candlewic, Community and tons of others...Oh, there are a few exceptions but you learn as you go.

Trappeur;)

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, aptommo said:

Is VA Candle not a fav

They are not a favorite of mine. I live in va and still will not order from them lol. Everyone has their favorites. 

RE would be up there for me as well and NG would round out my top 5.

Money spent and if it's a miss you chalk it up and make a note not to get that particular scent from supplier again. 

To me c&s has a lot of misses in their oils, but u might come along and have the best luck with them.  It's never ending with this thing called testing. 

Edited by ScentedPleasurez
  • Like 3

There used to be some small companies that tested / sold specifically for soy.  Scents for Soy was great, KY Soy, and Bluegrass come to mind, to name a few.  But those suppliers have all gone out of business or sold out to others.  So bottom line?  As the others said, you just have to test.  I've gotten awesome fragrances from nearly every supplier I've tried, and I've gotten duds from nearly every supplier I've tried.  LOL  Soy is a bit persnickety on scent throw, appearance,  and burning characteristics, so just keep trying and keep good notes.  As a very GENERAL rule of thumb, if it smells strong OOB, it will often be strong in soy.  Not always the case, but a good starting point for you.  :)

• Like 3

I love Candle Science, Peak, Nature's Garden, RE, Brambleberry, WSP and more. I never tried VA Candle. It seems like I wouldn't like I but don't know why lol with all the destashes I have there is not ONE single bottle of it. So I guess nobody hardly likes it either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the great replies! I did order a few 1oz or 2oz bottles from WSP, Candle Science, Candle Source, Rustic Escentuals and Candlewic. A few of the same so I can see which I like from each vendor but a few random ones that just sounded good from each to try. I'm so scared to waste money but I can already see that plan fluttering out of my grasp! I've never heard of half of the suppliers on that list but now I'm curious! You might be enablers but I'm very weak minded when it comes to being frugal so I'm truly screwed! :D I don't even have my shop ready on Etsy so this is all just pay out and nothing coming in yet!

20 hours ago, aptommo said:

I don't even have my shop ready on Etsy so this is all just pay out and nothing coming in yet!

I had over 2000$ in before I even made a sale upon my return to candle making.  lol. I'm not selling online. If I get an oil that I do not like I just resell it at a lower price to get a portion of my money back. Its just part of the game. I'd be rich if i had my money back from duds. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I had over 2000$ in before I even made a sale upon my return to candle making.  lol. I'm not selling online. If I get an oil that I do not like I just resell it at a lower price to get a portion of my money back. Its just part of the game. I'd be rich if i had my money back from duds. 

How do you decide if it is an oil you don't like? For instance, I hate Patchouli but other people love it. Would you get rid of it because you don't like it. Or keep it because others do? I hate making things  I hate. Lol 

12 minutes ago, ShelleyF said:

How do you decide if it is an oil you don't like? For instance, I hate Patchouli but other people love it. Would you get rid of it because you don't like it. Or keep it because others do? I hate making things  I hate. Lol

I can't stand alot that I make. Spices, the greenery for Christmas scents all make my stomach churn. I will make them up and even test the smelly things. Then I give a few to my regulars for testing.

If I don't like it then it means sales are low,or didn't spark enough interest or it didn't throw well for me. 

Usually if it didn't spark interest I'll change the name sometimes it sells if not it isn't for me. 

Tricky because I've sold oils and people respond back that it was a huge hit for them.😂😂😂

• Like 2

I make my kids and others test some of them. I hate Patchouli and can't test it. It makes me sick. I had a big bottles of Thoroughbred and threw it away. It was awful. Smelled like we horses that stunk like crazy. I could not even sell it. I refuse to sell something that gross. Another one I hate is anything named Dragon yuck. My daughter's love it. I need a respirator so I can make Dragon Blood as they want it and a couple others do too. I don't want to smell it lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hahahaaaaaa.  

1 hour ago, ShelleyF said:

Thoroughbred and threw it away. It was awful. Smelled like we horses that stunk like crazy. I could not even sell it. I refuse to sell something that gross. Another one I hate is anything named Dragon yuck. My daughter's love it. I need a respirator so I can make Dragon Blood as they want it and a couple others do too. I don't want to smell it lol

I am not a fan of patchouli on its own but I like it blended. It smells like rotting dirt and sh@t to me plain lol

• Like 2

I can't stand alot that I make. Spices, the greenery for Christmas scents all make my stomach churn. I will make them up and even test the smelly things. Then I give a few to my regulars for testing.

If I don't like it then it means sales are low,or didn't spark enough interest or it didn't throw well for me. 

Usually if it didn't spark interest I'll change the name sometimes it sells if not it isn't for me. 

Tricky because I've sold oils and people respond back that it was a huge hit for them.😂😂😂

I have a lot of fragrances here that I bought to test for my mom that I honestly don't know how I'll stomach making them. I'm not a fan of really strong flowery type scents. She had 2 she really loves from buying tarts from others: God's Love and Sun and Sand and they both make me gag just smelling the bottles of FO. I'll have to get through it though for her! For customers I'm not sure I want to offer a fragrance like that, I'm afraid with my luck it would be my best seller and I'd never get it out from the back of my nostrils and find peace! 😂

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, aptommo said:

I have a lot of fragrances here that I bought to test for my mom that I honestly don't know how I'll stomach making them. I'm not a fan of really strong flowery type scents. She had 2 she really loves from buying tarts from others: God's Love and Sun and Sand and they both make me gag just smelling the bottles of FO. I'll have to get through it though for her! For customers I'm not sure I want to offer a fragrance like that, I'm afraid with my luck it would be my best seller and I'd never get it out from the back of my nostrils and find peace! 😂

My best seller is nag champa...i hate it, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, franu61 said:

My best seller is nag champa...i hate it, lol

That's made to smell like the incense right? I used to love that but I can't place how it smells now. I've thought about grabbing a 1oz of it to see but haven't done so yet. Is it that bad? 😷

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aptommo said:

I hate those kind of scents. I seem to tend to put off making things I hate lol like Baby Powder yuck but people lol it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aptommo said:

That's made to smell like the incense right? I used to love that but I can't place how it smells now. I've thought about grabbing a 1oz of it to see but haven't done so yet. Is it that bad? 😷

It's not THAT bad.  Yes it is made to smell like the insence.  Lots of people LOVE it...I'm just not one of them. 

We can make scents that only we like, but if we sell, think of all the sales we'd be missing on the ones we hate.  As a previous poster mentioned, Nag Champa is a big seller.  I detest it, but I'd be ditching my second-best seller if I discontinued making it because I don't like it.  I wear a respirator mask when pouring anyway, so I rarely have to smell it.  I just take a quick sniff of each candle I sell just before packing up the order to make sure everything smells OK.

3 hours ago, franu61 said:

It's not THAT bad.  Yes it is made to smell like the insence.  Lots of people LOVE it...I'm just not one of them. 

I am definitely going to have to at least get a 1oz to see if I can tolerate it. I used to love the incense but I used to love a lot of really strong scents when I was a smoker that I can no longer tolerate! 

2 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

We can make scents that only we like, but if we sell, think of all the sales we'd be missing on the ones we hate.  As a previous poster mentioned, Nag Champa is a big seller.  I detest it, but I'd be ditching my second-best seller if I discontinued making it because I don't like it.  I wear a respirator mask when pouring anyway, so I rarely have to smell it.  I just take a quick sniff of each candle I sell just before packing up the order to make sure everything smells OK.

It's a big seller? Okay that makes me for sure need to test it. I don't mind making scents I don't like but some of them like the God's Love my mom is obsessed with makes me sick to smell it in the air so I'm going to make the attempt for her and see how it goes! :)

I like baby powder,i cant burn it long though but mixed with others you would be surprised..

I like Baby Powder in general but I don't know how that would go over as a tart/melt scent for me. I wonder if adding some lavender or chamomile herbs into the melt would make it better even? 

23 minutes ago, aptommo said:

I like Baby Powder in general but I don't know how that would go over as a tart/melt scent for me. I wonder if adding some lavender or chamomile herbs into the melt would make it better even? 

The baby powder can be very overwhelming imo. I haven't used the herbs but I have used the fo lavender and it's a great blend. It's actually 1 that I try to keep on hand.

Candlewic is having a sale, I posted in weekly sales about it. You just have to put code "TREATLB"  in the discount code box and you will get a free lb of fragrance oil with a $75 purchase,plus they offer a 1 oz oil of your choice with every lb purchased. Their ultimate and bold line I've purchased about everyone of lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

The baby powder can be very overwhelming imo. I haven't used the herbs but I have used the fo lavender and it's a great blend. It's actually 1 that I try to keep on hand.

Candlewic is having a sale, I posted in weekly sales about it. You just have to put code "TREATLB"  in the discount code box and you will get a free lb of fragrance oil with a $75 purchase,plus they offer a 1 oz oil of your choice with every lb purchased. Their ultimate and bold line I've purchased about everyone of lol

I also noticed that Candlewic has the max FO for the EcoSoya PB at 12% where Candle Science has it listed at max 6%. Not sure which to go by on that.