crazy to offer both soy blend and 100% soy candles?

I'm considering offering 100% soy candles along with my 6006.  Is that crazy?  I'm thinking of making one container with all soy and possibly a wooden wick just to have the soy for those that won't buy a blend; the wooden wick will make it a totally different product.    Will this cause confusion or do you think that most folks won't notice unless they insist on only burning soy?  I won't market it any differently so that there's no perception of the all soy candle is a "premium" product, it's just another option.  

Good question...

Now what will you say to the customer who asks you the difference besides saying the soy blend has paraffin in it and what are the pros and cons?   Like for instance, is one better than the other?

Trappeur

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Good question...

Now what will you say to the customer who asks you the difference besides saying the soy blend has paraffin in it and what are the pros and cons?   Like for instance, is one better than the other?

Trappeur

I agree with where you're going with that question.  I would offer that some people think that the scent throw is better with the blend but I just like to offer different options for my customers in case they have a preference. I wouldn't play up the "pure soy" aspect of that option...just include it on the label.  If someone asks then I would ask them if they have a preference; if not then it won't matter.   I guess I could say that I prefer using the pure soy with the wooden wick, which is true.  Neither wax is better--they're just different types of wax.:D

Not one person ever asks me what my container wax is. I make what I like to burn and end up with customers that love the same. My people want a candle that burns well (safely) , burns clean, and smells nice/true/unique.

the big down side to offering more than one wax is production time and cost. Now, instead of making one set/type of each scent, you have to stock two. You can’t please everyone, so please yourself first. 

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the 100% soy craze is dying off or maybe it's just a cycle we are going through.  People are picking up both paraffin and soy candles in our shop and at one time we couldn't sell a paraffin candle unless it was a taper.  Idk how your area is, but maybe check with some shops that carry a variety and ask what sells.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like the 100% soy craze is dying off or maybe it's just a cycle we are going through.  People are picking up both paraffin and soy candles in our shop and at one time we couldn't sell a paraffin candle unless it was a taper.  Idk how your area is, but maybe check with some shops that carry a variety and ask what sells.

Do you find that the blended candles fetch the same price?  My specialty market customer has no problem selling my 6006 for top dollar and they move like crazy.  Part of the reason for this topic is that I still have 50# of CB Excel soy wax flakes that I loved working with and I'd like to use up.  Maybe I'll just make gifts with that....

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Not one person ever asks me what my container wax is. I make what I like to burn and end up with customers that love the same. My people want a candle that burns well (safely) , burns clean, and smells nice/true/unique.

the big down side to offering more than one wax is production time and cost. Now, instead of making one set/type of each scent, you have to stock two. You can’t please everyone, so please yourself first. 

110% this.

If you have the time, the resources, and the desire, go for it. Your products are unique to your business, you get to decide what you want to sell, or not... Maybe just a limited holiday run to see how your customers respond? I like the idea of a wooden wick to make it different.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

Do you find that the blended candles fetch the same price?  My specialty market customer has no problem selling my 6006 for top dollar and they move like crazy.  Part of the reason for this topic is that I still have 50# of CB Excel soy wax flakes that I loved working with and I'd like to use up.  Maybe I'll just make gifts with that....

Most of the candles we sell are between $16-$25 for 8-12 oz of wax in a jar and it doesn't matter if blend or soy.  We do carry a line of soy with essential oil that are pricier.  Very few people ask for specific wax any more and we don't really have signs up that say what it is, some labels state it though.

• Like 2