Is it just me ? Busy Season & Stress

chevcher

I do the same festivals,open houses and wholesale orders every year ,but I get so stressed out thinking about everything that's coming my way.
You name it...ALL OF IT !!!
What inventory to take, setting up & tearing down, what displays I'm taking to each show,praying that I have enough inventory,etc.etc.etc.
Oddly enough, once I make my fall shop deliveries and I'm all set up at the first show, all of that stress just disappears 🤔
It's not like it's my first rodeo, I've been doing this for so long. Anyone else feeling this, or is the menopause to blame ?

On 7/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, chevcher said:

Anyone else feeling this, or is the menopause to blame ?

LOL 

I used to get that way for the first of the season every year too. I don't know what or why it changed, but I think just my whole attitude about life changed about 10 years ago or so, and I just don't stress about much these days. It takes so much more to make me truly mad, stressed, upset,. etc., (I still get super irritated with people and situations, but never truly angry, and never to where it creeps into other areas of my life) 

In the long run, it's just not worth it. At all. 

You know the saying, Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff? Yeah, that....

Not that I ever really took that saying to heart but it's honestly so true. It's all small stuff, and if it's not, it will work out one way or another no matter how you stress yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

In the long run, it's just not worth it. At all. 

You know the saying, Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff? Yeah, that....

Thanks @Jcandleattic  for the reassurance 😊
Everything just kinda jumped on me the other day, mostly because of the major changes with one of my biggest & long time festivals of 17 years.
I'm going to be in a new location with a totally different set up (more stress)...or so I thought.
 It used to be 3 huge, big - top style tents for the vendors + tables provided. Since they've relocated the entire festival, they're only doing 1 large tent for the vendors, too cramped for my liking.
So, I'll be responsible now for my own tent & tables 😟  It's an outdoor show that usually has sketchy weather in the fall (even more stress).
Today I pulled up the vendors map ,and then looked it up on Google Earth, just to have an idea of what I'm getting into come October.
Much to my relief, I'm going to be in a quaint little wooded area instead of an open field like years past ...feeling so much better now :yay:

Edited by chevcher
  • Like 1

I don't stress out that way. For me I get more anxious about the second day of the show. After working hard all day and getting home late I only have a couple hours to gather up and pack what I need to replace what was sold for the next day of the show. And oddly, every show, the last few minutes of driving to the show I get a slight gut wrench in the stomach thinking of unpacking and setting up. I'm not even nervous about the show but it happens all the time. I think its just the anticipation of the workout that's ahead of me.

• Like 1

I too make lists but I've also gotten to where I don't stress.  I forgot one of my display shelves at my last weekend fair and made it work.  I remembered  it when I was 2 hours into my 3 hour drive.   I've been doing it so long that it's not worth stressing over.  Though I do dread the take down after a 2 or 3 day show.  I'm so done by then.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shari said:

I too make lists but I've also gotten to where I don't stress.  I forgot one of my display shelves at my last weekend fair and made it work.  I remembered  it when I was 2 hours into my 3 hour drive.   I've been doing it so long that it's not worth stressing over.  Though I do dread the take down after a 2 or 3 day show.  I'm so done by then.

Good advice. Don’t sweat the small stuff... I’m getting there. Nobody is going to die if I did not make shampoo this week. Or if I forgot a box of candles. 

• Like 3

On 7/25/2018 at 10:21 AM, TallTayl said:

Lists. Lists that can be checked off solve this for me. Prioritize and just do things one item at a time. 

Oh yes, I buy legal pads in bulk just for this purpose.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:08 AM, Candybee said:

I don't stress out that way. For me I get more anxious about the second day of the show. After working hard all day and getting home late I only have a couple hours to gather up and pack what I need to replace what was sold for the next day of the show. And oddly, every show, the last few minutes of driving to the show I get a slight gut wrench in the stomach thinking of unpacking and setting up. I'm not even nervous about the show but it happens all the time. I think its just the anticipation of the workout that's ahead of me.

Same for me, I'm mentally going through everything in my head on the drive. Once I get to my spot and unload, it all seems to disappear. My daughters always helped me at the festivals,but now that they're grown up and working full time jobs, I don't have their help ...I really miss that :(  

• Like 1

I can relate to "show stress", but once we're set up, I just relaxxxx. I bring a thermos with my favorite fresh ground Starbuck's Verona coffee. I find that if I have something to look forward to, like a BREAK...I whizz through the set up just so I can sit down and have that yummy cuppa' Joe :yay: My dear David has to drive another hour after setting up my three booths, to a farmer's market, then set up two MORE booths. So, you can imagine that he's like a nervous chihuahua!

After 32 years in the food and beverage management business, there aren't too many "emergencies" I haven't seen (and some you'd really have to see to actually believe! 16 years in Las Vegas, baby!). Due to that, I'm usually the calmest person in the room during stressful moments. I'm accustomed to "organized chaos", lol! 

Take a deep breath, and take it all one step at a time. After all, "how do you eat an elephant?" One bite at a time :cheesy2:

• Like 2