Pourette Candle Molds

50 minutes ago, MrDan said:

@Sarah S 

The collection was a whole lot of bigs, quite a few of which didn’t survive the years. The Santa is 9” tall, but his belly is big enough that I’d say he’s a 2 pounder. The seahorse is 11”, and remarkable thin; I’d say 1.5lbs. The biggest problem is that these weren’t taken care of that well. A lot of them still have wax on them from the 70s! 

Notice the price tags on some of these. The Santa and seahorse are marked at $3.95, and both spheres are $2. New molds aren’t all that much today (usually less than $10); it’s interesting that the prices haven’t gone up all that much.

DC9BC2C7-2C63-466F-8020-5F93BCCC78B3.jpeg

Holy MOLY! Those are big 'uns! I guess all you can do it see if they have any holes before pouring, it would be a great NIGHTMARE to have paraffin all over the place! I personally place molds inside a rectangular cake pan before pouring, that way, not as much to clean up a leak mess. Love that seahorse! :drool:  Somebody get me a...BIB, I can't stop the drooling, LOL!

39 minutes ago, Hopie said:

Holy MOLY! Those are big 'uns! I guess all you can do it see if they have any holes before pouring, it would be a great NIGHTMARE to have paraffin all over the place! I personally place molds inside a rectangular cake pan before pouring, that way, not as much to clean up a leak mess. Love that seahorse! :drool:  Somebody get me a...BIB, I can't stop the drooling, LOL!

I decided to check them as I was repacking them, and Santa and one of the large spheres were cracked. Santa looks like he’s been puttied up in a few different places. 

Since I’ve been using only small molds I use a baking sheet I got for 89 cents at Walmart! 

I think that seahorse would definitely be one of those “show pieces” instead of an everyday for sale kind of thing! But that’s the beauty of using paraffin with these kinds of molds! They just look so gorgeous in the end!

• Like 2

You might want to putty Santa up again? Ya' never know, he could be good to go. That's probably why your stepdad kept them? Hard to say. Yep, I love that seahorse, and it would be a great conversation piece/show stopper for your booth. :drool:

They make some really nice looking molds of this type but with the wax i use It would not be possible to make it look correct.  that is the down side to palm wax.  Plastic molds wont hold up well to pouring it as hot as you need to get get the great crystallization of palm wax.

19 hours ago, MrDan said:

@Sarah S 

The collection was a whole lot of bigs, quite a few of which didn’t survive the years. The Santa is 9” tall, but his belly is big enough that I’d say he’s a 2 pounder. The seahorse is 11”, and remarkable thin; I’d say 1.5lbs. The biggest problem is that these weren’t taken care of that well. A lot of them still have wax on them from the 70s! 

Notice the price tags on some of these. The Santa and seahorse are marked at $3.95, and both spheres are $2. New molds aren’t all that much today (usually less than $10); it’s interesting that the prices haven’t gone up all that much.

DC9BC2C7-2C63-466F-8020-5F93BCCC78B3.jpeg

Totally cool! I have a beeswax Santa candle that I bust out with every year, never to be burned because I just love it too much to set it aflame. Great score, I hope you continue to post pictures of the candles you create with them!

16 hours ago, ncraiders said:

They make some really nice looking molds of this type but with the wax i use It would not be possible to make it look correct.  that is the down side to palm wax.  Plastic molds wont hold up well to pouring it as hot as you need to get get the great crystallization of palm wax.

Thats what I was thinking too. I do have some CBL141 that I use for tarts, so I'll see if that works for my bird project. Or even mix it with the palm and not worry about the crystallization.

18 hours ago, Hopie said:

Reminiscent of "my era" for sure! :laugh2: Did you see the parrot mold? I thought of you when I saw it, lol! I'd suppose you could have it ready by January. I also liked the monkeys, the alien and the big tiki head. Awesome stuff! 

They had so many great molds! I really really want to get a wizard and a couple 'shrooms, but my hubby is a cop and definitely not down with that scene, lol. Well, the wizard would probably be ok! I need at least a couple more days to look through everything! 😄 I didn't see the parrot, but I will go back and find it!

38 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

They had so many great molds! I really really want to get a wizard and a couple 'shrooms, but my hubby is a cop and definitely not down with that scene, lol. Well, the wizard would probably be ok! I need at least a couple more days to look through everything! 😄 I didn't see the parrot, but I will go back and find it!

I had sent Hopie a message about this one, but I’m hearing and reading very bad things about getting orders from that company, if you’re even able to get in contact with them!

• Thanks 1

I bought some Pourette metal pillar molds about 20 years ago. They're really cool and nostalgic. I haven't used them in a while, but still have some of the mold putty I bought then. Yikes! I never tried any of the two part molds, as I was scared of leaking. Milky Way had some that I wanted to try back in the day, too, but I never got the nerve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

You may want to wait...I got a message from Mr. Dan about this company not shipping the molds and having a bad reputation! I'm surfing ebay for the molds now....soooo disappointing! :mad:

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, Faerywren said:

I bought some Pourette metal pillar molds about 20 years ago. They're really cool and nostalgic. I haven't used them in a while, but still have some of the mold putty I bought then. Yikes! I never tried any of the two part molds, as I was scared of leaking. Milky Way had some that I wanted to try back in the day, too, but I never got the nerve.

I have quite a few of them too but not quite 20  years old. I was just looking at all the metal molds I have and I know where all my plastic ones are too. 

• Like 1

Yep, old school cool...LOVE that! Aren't MrDan's owls cool? I remember that style... owls with the really big eyes...from way back when. I'd love to see a revival of some of that stuff, and some new ones, to boot :)  Of course, I"d never burn those, lol!

12 hours ago, Hopie said:

Yep, old school cool...LOVE that! Aren't MrDan's owls cool? I remember that style... owls with the really big eyes...from way back when. I'd love to see a revival of some of that stuff, and some new ones, to boot :)  Of course, I"d never burn those, lol!

This little owl is so cool to burn though! Once the flame gets to the eyes is when it’s the coolest! The wax starts dripping from the eyes, and then eventually the head splits open like a flower blooming or like the Demigorgon from Stranger Things! It’s a little gruesome, but then I remind myself it’s just a candle, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1