Pourette Candle Molds

Has anyone used the old school Pourette candle molds? Are they a PITA, or fairly easy to deal with? Do they leak? What kind of wax should I try with these? Okay, so I'm a total sucker for old school molded candles, lol. 

Yep! I tape the wick down, and maybe the top, then I just clamp the sides and bottom.

I’m using pillar formulated paraffin; I’m able to get by without release agent, but different waxes, different results.

I am such a fan of all the neat molded candles, always have been. Although I'm working on jar candles a lot lately, I want to do more unique shapes. Anyone have any pictures of how these turned out for you? I know, I have to order one and mess with it to see if I like it, but I'd sure love to see some finished products of interesting molds :)

This is what I’ve been making with a mold I inherited from my step-father. It has to date to at least the late 70s or early 80s.

I have others that I haven’t used yet, but that’s becuase they’re close 4 or 5 pounds!

18DD5196-301D-44FF-BF43-0B535FEE0FCC.jpeg

• Like 2

These guys are all paraffin, and these ones are vanilla scented. I tried working with soy wax in the pourette molds but it ended up being more hassle than it was worth.

Plus, I just enjoy the colors I get from paraffin; they just can’t be matched.

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

O. M. G!!! Those are so adoreable!!! @MrDan, my middle daughter is crazy for birds and would never be able to resist those! Is that paraffin or soy? Scented? They look fantastic!

Sarah, here is the link to get the owl molds. That was why I was asking here about the Pourette molds, I had come across this. LOTS of other designs, as well. They do seem to pose a bit of a hassle, but I think if you clamp them off correctly, you'll get some pretty cool candles. You'd also need a tool to trim the seams.

These take me back to the 1970s when we hung around a "hippie mall", it was a really cool place filled with young entrepreneurial shop owners, one being a Wax Factory candle maker. Others included glow in the dark posters, black lights, head shops, hippie clothing, jewelry, and ohhhhh....the smell of INCENSE permeated the air. Place was huge! :)

LINK: http://www.spiritcrafts.net/twowcamo3ht3.html   

• Thanks 1

@Hopie I just remembered that I’ve seen a couple of the candle supply places sell metal clips for the plastic molds. It seems like they would be really useful for preventing leaks but they look like they would also produce excessive flash. The more time we spend trimming, the less time we have to pour!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopie said:

Sarah, here is the link to get the owl molds. That was why I was asking here about the Pourette molds, I had come across this. LOTS of other designs, as well. They do seem to pose a bit of a hassle, but I think if you clamp them off correctly, you'll get some pretty cool candles. You'd also need a tool to trim the seams.

These take me back to the 1970s when we hung around a "hippie mall", it was a really cool place filled with young entrepreneurial shop owners, one being a Wax Factory candle maker. Others included glow in the dark posters, black lights, head shops, hippie clothing, jewelry, and ohhhhh....the smell of INCENSE permeated the air. Place was huge! :)

LINK: http://www.spiritcrafts.net/twowcamo3ht3.html   

Those guys are the little brothers of mine. It’s the same design but smaller. That company bought all the Pourette master molds when they went under. I’ve actually been waiting to hear back from them concerning the manufacture time on the plastic molds: no word yet.

12 minutes ago, MrDan said:

These guys are all paraffin, and these ones are vanilla scented. I tried working with soy wax in the pourette molds but it ended up being more hassle than it was worth.

Plus, I just enjoy the colors I get from paraffin; they just can’t be matched.

Yes, the soy wax is really too soft to make these molded ones. I'd also go straight paraffin. This particular mold is truly an "old school" design, I think I remember this little owl with the recessed eyes from all they way back in the 1970s, same with those mushroom designs. This one was a HUGE hit, and really brings me back to "my era" of bell bottom pants and incense, lol.  http://www.spiritcrafts.net/lahafacamo4h.html That's probably why I love, make and sell incense. It really FLEW off my tables this past weekend. :)

I screeched in delight when I saw your owls, MrDan! Thanks so much for posting them!

6 minutes ago, MrDan said:

@Hopie I just remembered that I’ve seen a couple of the candle supply places sell metal clips for the plastic molds. It seems like they would be really useful for preventing leaks but they look like they would also produce excessive flash. The more time we spend trimming, the less time we have to pour!

You are so right, I'd really love to play with these molds! SUCH nostalgia for me, and since I already carry tons of tie dye ladies clothing, they will probably go NUTS for these molded candles, as well. The majority of my customers are retired RVers, and are over 50 years old. I already stock anywhere from 500 to 700 pieces on any given day :)  The last two days, we did three events...on Saturday we ran 5 booths over two venues and Sunday just the three booths at one venue. YES, we do this for a living.

18 minutes ago, MrDan said:

Those guys are the little brothers of mine. It’s the same design but smaller. That company bought all the Pourette master molds when they went under. I’ve actually been waiting to hear back from them concerning the manufacture time on the plastic molds: no word yet.

YES, I was reading about how they took over the Pourette molds. DANG, I want the one that's bigger, like  yours! Perhaps I should inquire as to whether they have or are going to get the larger ones? 

UPDATE: I just emailed them, lol.

Edited by Hopie

@Hopie

Please keep me updated! If they actually email you back I’d like know (because I’m still waiting for a response), but also because my owl is nearing his end I’m afraid. Still, he’s hanging on pretty well for a 40+ year old piece of plastic!

• Haha 1

I also wanted to share these that I found in the bottom of the step father’s never ending bag of candle stuffs. They’re about a foot tall, and I’m guessing about a pound when complete.

I don’t like to commit so much wax to something this size, since the smalls sell better, but I think I might throw them for funzies!

B2FCF0C5-1707-4A61-8505-5397385DB3FF.jpeg

WOWZERS! Those are awesome! Yes, there are times I will display something that is a "show stopper" just to draw people in, and these will WORK! Since everyone is on the pot smoking "bandwagon" these days, I may get the pot leaf mold to put on the tables, lol! 

I will certainly let you know if they respond, and if they don't, I plan on calling them. They're one state over, so I think the molds would arrive quickly (faster than the wax, for sure, lol!)

You have truly found a treasure trove of neat stuff! :drool:

Edited by Hopie

@Hopie, thank you for the link! I think I'm going to get a couple (and probably about 10 other things, lol). Her birthday is in January, I could probably have something gift-worthy by then, right? 😆

@MrDan, the monkeys are awesome! A foot tall, holy cow! Now you know you have to show us what else was in that stash, right?!? 😆 Those are some crazy molds!

@Sarah S 

The collection was a whole lot of bigs, quite a few of which didn’t survive the years. The Santa is 9” tall, but his belly is big enough that I’d say he’s a 2 pounder. The seahorse is 11”, and remarkable thin; I’d say 1.5lbs. The biggest problem is that these weren’t taken care of that well. A lot of them still have wax on them from the 70s! 

Notice the price tags on some of these. The Santa and seahorse are marked at $3.95, and both spheres are $2. New molds aren’t all that much today (usually less than $10); it’s interesting that the prices haven’t gone up all that much.

DC9BC2C7-2C63-466F-8020-5F93BCCC78B3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

@Hopie, thank you for the link! I think I'm going to get a couple (and probably about 10 other things, lol). Her birthday is in January, I could probably have something gift-worthy by then, right? 😆

@MrDan, the monkeys are awesome! A foot tall, holy cow! Now you know you have to show us what else was in that stash, right?!? 😆 Those are some crazy molds!

Reminiscent of "my era" for sure! :laugh2: Did you see the parrot mold? I thought of you when I saw it, lol! I'd suppose you could have it ready by January. I also liked the monkeys, the alien and the big tiki head. Awesome stuff!