Wax melter for palm wax...

I currently use a presto pot to melt my wax, but it takes a long time to get the wax to the correct temperature (205 deg).  I found this other one on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/42-LB-STAINLESS-STEEL-WAX-MELTER-SOAP-MAKING-MELTER-LID-DIGITAL-THERMOMETER/232601478616?hash=item362820e5d8:g:C0AAAOSwJ-pbBcKo

The description says it only heats up to 200, but I obviously need slightly higher.  Are my temperature settings off...should I be melting the wax to a lower temperature?  I'd like to purchase the above melter, but only if I can make it work.  What are other palm wax makers using?  Personally, I'm getting tired of waiting on my presto pot!!

I use my presto for my palm, and it melts faster than my paraffin because it's in flake form. Are you putting your wax directly in the presto, or are you using the presto like a double boiler maybe? 

Maybe I'm just not melting as much as you are. I melt 8lbs at a time, and it'll be completely melted in about 10 minutes at 210°.

Personally, and honestly I don't think that melter will melt the wax any faster. Wax melts at the rate it melts when the temp is high enough. Also, $300 for a melter to me, IMO only, that just seems like an awful lot of money.  

• Like 1

That looks like a direct heat melter. What I discovered when I had one is that it created very hot wax at the bottom while the top 2/3 of the melter remained solid. It scorched beeswax which needed only 145 to melt.

For volumes of wax I much prefer water jacket melters. The heat is more evenly distributed around all of the kettle surfaces.

A presto pot is also direct heat, but heats a much smaller mass.

How much wax are you looking to melt at one time?

• Like 2

I use palm and presto pots. I do other prep work while it is melting and I also use two pots. One that I am working on now and thenot the next batch is ready to go when I am done with the first. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TallTayl said:

That looks like a direct heat melter. What I discovered when I had one is that it created very hot wax at the bottom while the top 2/3 of the melter remained solid. It scorched beeswax which needed only 145 to melt.

For volumes of wax I much prefer water jacket melters. The heat is more evenly distributed around all of the kettle surfaces.

A presto pot is also direct heat, but heats a much smaller mass.

How much wax are you looking to melt at one time?

I typically melt about 6 lbs at a time.  I do not water jacket it, just straight into the presto pot it goes.  I had to do a remelt b/c the wax never came up to temperature...then I realized the extension cord I'm using is bad, so I bought a new one.  Hopefully this will fix the problem!

I started out with a presto pot - and still use mine, but more for wax melts so I don't need to melt as much wax for wax melts.  I have also used the presto pot if I needed to do demonstrations or a class.  I do like them and you may want to consider getting two due to their affordability.  Another plus with two is while you are using one, you can have the other going to start melting the wax for another batch you need to pour later.  

Going with a bigger melter you need to ask yourself how often will you need a bigger melter.  For example, are you needing a bigger one just for speed of melting wax or because you are expecting to do a bigger volume of candle making in the next weeks and months?  

I did go with a bigger melter but that was because a few years back I opened a candle gift shop and used a portion of the shop as my work shop.  I knew I would need a bigger volume wax melter due to needing to make more candles to not just stock the shop, but to keep up with e-commerce and other wholesale orders.  There are some good LARGE wax melters - with hefty prices via candlewic and candlesandsupplies candle suppliers.  

My advice, if you are slowly growing, stick with the presto pots.  Two melters may be better and more of what you need - especially if you have the space.  Also consider better managing your time when melting the wax.  I get that you are preparing for candle making while it melts, but presto pots can hold a steady temperature for hours (I would never have them running over night).  So perhaps consider turn it on and fill it up first thing, and then answer an email or two or make your phone calls, then go back to making candles.  This is one thing I do to help better manage my time - get my to do list and fill up my wax melter first thing in the morning, then do 1 hour (or more) of computer work, and then in the afternoon have non-stop uninterrupted candle making time.  Once done with making candles only then I check and follow up with emails, social media questions,  and phone calls.  

Good luck!!! Michelle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, MichelleinMD said:

consider better managing your time when melting the wax.  I get that you are preparing for candle making while it melts, but presto pots can hold a steady temperature for hours (I would never have them running over night).  So perhaps consider turn it on and fill it up first thing, and then answer an email or two or make your phone calls, then go back to making candles.  This is one thing I do to help better manage my time - get my to do list and fill up my wax melter first thing in the morning, then do 1 hour (or more) of computer work, and then in the afternoon have non-stop uninterrupted candle making time.  Once done with making candles only then I check and follow up with emails, social media questions,  and phone calls.  

Whether it's this system or another, having a system is something I aspire to. Thanks for a peek into yours.

• Like 3

After I wick my molds while the wax is melting, I heat them on an electric griddle so they are not cold when I pour my candles.  Also, I do not use jars.  I just make pillars and votives currently.  No offense to people who do pour into jars, but I chose to be different and not use them.  

I stopped heating my jars years ago. I pour directly into my cold-room temp jars, don't do anything extraordinary to insure insulation, and still get beautiful crystalling with my palm. In fact they looked no different than when I went to all the extra trouble of insulating and heating and jumping through hoops to get them to "look pretty". so I personally feel it is a waste of time to go through all that extra trouble to get the exact same results.