Palm pillars...advice please.

I'm gonna try palm pillars.  This will be a first for me. I've made paraffin pillars and palm containers but not palm pillars.  I'm ordering wax from Candlewic as we speak and was hoping for advice. 

Do you prefer feather palm or the crystal palm?  Do they perform the same?

Wicking....I have boat loads of wicks.  I think I have everything except Eco, CSN and cotton.  I was hoping to wick these with RRD, but if I need to order a different wick series, I will.  

Will I need mold release?  I don't use it with paraffin pillars, so I don't have any on hand.

Thank you!

Oh, and...

are there any must have FO's from Candlewic I should add to my cart?  I've only tried a couple from them.

Edited by bfroberts
to ask about FO's...duh.

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

Do you prefer feather palm or the crystal palm?  Do they perform the same?

I have not used the candlewic palm, however I have used Feather Palm, and Starburst palm (equivelant to candlewic's crystal palm) and I personally like the look of the crystal (starburst) palm better, but in my tests have found that they perform the same. 

Wicking....I have boat loads of wicks.  I think I have everything except Eco, CSN and cotton.  I was hoping to wick these with RRD, but if I need to order a different wick series, I will.

For my testing I liked the CD's the best, however I have heard a lot of people having luck with the RRD series. 

Will I need mold release?  I don't use it with paraffin pillars, so I don't have any on hand.

No, you won't need mold release. Palm has enough natural stearic as to act as it's own mold release - mine just literally slide out of the mold when they are ready. 

I've never used candlewick FO's so can't help you there, however, I've never had a scent NOT throw in palm. As always, there are light and strong scents, but everyone that I've put in palm has given a throw. 

• Like 1

I only just started playing with palm myself, so I can't help much there. But if you're ordering FO, and you like patchouli fragrances, their Voodoo Love is absolutely amazing. I also love Mahogany Spice, which I recently discovered smells exactly like WSP's Indonesian Teakwood only stronger. If you're looking for something summery, their Coastal Kale is a lovely light  green and citrus with a hint of sea spray. I haven't burned it yet, but the CT is awesome. @Belinda loves their Butterscotch and @GailC says their Pumpkin Chai is really good. Whatever you do, don't order the Smoked Ginger!! 😆

Oh, @TallTayl did mention in another thread that she has had good results with RRDs in palm, so maybe she has some more input for you!

I did order a case of the Palm 2 (crystal) to make tarts with, and it is extremely crystal-y. My oldest daughter thought I put glitter in it, it almost sparkles with the crystalline pattern. I think the feather might be more subtle, but I haven't seen it IRL to compare. HTH! If I have good light tomorrow I can try to get some pics if you want!

3 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I have not used the candlewic palm, however I have used Feather Palm, and Starburst palm (equivelant to candlewic's crystal palm) and I personally like the look of the crystal (starburst) palm better, but in my tests have found that they perform the same. 

For my testing I liked the CD's the best, however I have heard a lot of people having luck with the RRD series. 

No, you won't need mold release. Palm has enough natural stearic as to act as it's own mold release - mine just literally slide out of the mold when they are ready. 

I've never used candlewick FO's so can't help you there, however, I've never had a scent NOT throw in palm. As always, there are light and strong scents, but everyone that I've put in palm has given a throw. 

Thank you so much for the info.  That helps a whole lot.  I've been round and round the Candlewic site all weekend trying to make up my mind what I need to get this project started.  Now I know :)

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I only just started playing with palm myself, so I can't help much there. But if you're ordering FO, and you like patchouli fragrances, their Voodoo Love is absolutely amazing. I also love Mahogany Spice, which I recently discovered smells exactly like WSP's Indonesian Teakwood only stronger. If you're looking for something summery, their Coastal Kale is a lovely light  green and citrus with a hint of sea spray. I haven't burned it yet, but the CT is awesome. @Belinda loves their Butterscotch and @GailC says their Pumpkin Chai is really good. Whatever you do, don't order the Smoked Ginger!! 😆

Oh, @TallTayl did mention in another thread that she has had good results with RRDs in palm, so maybe she has some more input for you!

I did order a case of the Palm 2 (crystal) to make tarts with, and it is extremely crystal-y. My oldest daughter thought I put glitter in it, it almost sparkles with the crystalline pattern. I think the feather might be more subtle, but I haven't seen it IRL to compare. HTH! If I have good light tomorrow I can try to get some pics if you want!

Thank you.  Since I'm ordering wax, I hate not to grab some FO's to try.  I was considering the Mahogany Spice, so I think I'll go with that and Voodoo Love.  Thank you!

Candlewic's Berry Tangerine is one of my favorite Summer fragrances.  I like several of their oils; Clementine Daisy, Summer Fresh, Black Tea Orange & Almond, Succulent Agave & Oakmoss and Lemongrass Grass to name a few.

• Like 1

I love CW's Sugared Vanilla Shortbread,  and also:

Berry Tangerine, Salted Caramel, Apple Cider Donut, Autumn Leaves, Bay Laurel, Black Raspberry & Vanilla (I've read great things about this one but haven't tried it personally), Black Tea Orange & Almond, Blackberry Brûlée, Berry Vanilla, Caramel Apple Cider, Peach & Sweet Berries, Pumpkin Ginger Strusel, Rattlesnake Grass,  Voodoo Love, Wild Maine Blueberry, Hazelnut Truffles.  Their Oatmeal Milk and Honey smells nice but I've only smelled one other so I don't really have much to go on there. There are more but I can't remember right off the top of my head.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1