How much wax?

When you have a one of a kind container how do you decide how much wax you need? I have some handmade ceramic wine glasses that vary in size that I would like to use as candle containers. I need a way to determine how much wax they each need.

tare the scale (zero out) with the empty container on it

fill to the fill line I choose with water. 

Weigh again tofind the weight of the water in the container

multiply that weight by the specific gravity of your chosen wax (0.9 for soy wax for instance)

that weight is the amount in weight of wax needed to fill to that line. Of course fragrance adds a little. And what sticks to the pour pot and melter reduces the amount. 

Example of the math.

14 ounces of water x 0.9 = 12.6 ounces of wax.

16 ounces of water x 0.9 = 14.4 oz wax.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Or you wing it and make melts with the rest! 🤣

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Or tea lights! 

Or create another wicked container and keep filling with different colored/scented wax until you have a full container, then you will have a nice multi scented candle in no time. 

This is what I do around Christmas time, and then I call it a "Christmas Present". :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Or create another wicked container and keep filling with different colored/scented wax until you have a full container, then you will have a nice multi scented candle in no time. 

This is what I do around Christmas time, and then I call it a "Christmas Present". :) 

Love, love this idea!

17 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I like this idea a lot! I need to make some melts our den has strange air currents and needs the extra scent. So I will carefully calculate how much wax I need, down to the tenth of a gram, because that is what the engineer in me needs, then I'll throw in a bunch more to make the artist in me happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1