dud scents - rebatch or toss?

I have about 12 candles that have sat for months and while they smell so good cold I can not get a HT to save my life.  I'm using 464 wax, 8oz mason jars and the ECO 14 wick. At 1st I thought it may be the wick but I have other FO's that throw like mad using the same jar/wick and FO load . 1oz FO to 1lb wax and since it's still just a hobby for me I'm only making 1lb at a time.  The ones that I cant seem to get a throw from are the ones that seem more 'coconut based' type scents - pina colada &  jamacian me crazy. My BF loves everything tropical smelling so I'm disappointed I cant get anything from these even after sitting forever. 

I've thought about doing a water bath on just 3 jars to see if I could melt them down add a 1/2 oz more FO repour and then let cure again but I don't know if adding more FO will just end up clogging the wicks or should I just chalk them up as duds and ditch those FO's (or use them in soaps) and just use the candles if the power ever goes out?  

Coconut scent is a very difficult One in many products including candles. Scoop some out and put it in a wax melter to see if you get any throw. If you do then it is definitely the wick. 

Eco14 is huge. Especially for an 8 ounce jar of an easy to burn wax like 464. It is possible you are burning off the scent before it has a chance to propel into the air. Try backing down to an eco10 and you might be surprised.

• Like 2

Plain coconut is a tough one to get a great HT from.  JMC you should do decent with although from my memory it's not super strong.  If you want these for yourself or friends, absolutely remelt and add another fo to it that will blend well with the existing scent.  At the very least you will have something decent to smell for yourself!

If you get a good hot throw in the melter, you could melt them down and make clamshells or tarts with the wax.  IF you get a good hot throw in the melter so you know it isn't your fragrance that is the problem, you could melt down one jar, reheat the wax to 180 or whatever you use and add fragrance oil so you are up to, say, 7%.  See how that goes.  I've melted mine in a low temp oven.

GoldieMN

Thanks for all the tips! I'll have to go pick up a melter and try it out. 

TallTayl - I actually started out with the ECO 10's but the meltpool never seems to reach the edges and it ends up tunneling. Also the 8oz jars I use are the wide mouth and are more fat or square. Does that make any difference? 

Trappeur - I normally order all my supplies from CS and they don't carry the CD wicks. I do need to reorder both wax and wicks, can you recommend a good supplier for both?  I normally order about 10lbs at a time and even that little bit will last me forever. When I 1st started I was so excited I was going to order 50lbs and then someone here mentioned that it was an awful lot of wax for a newbie. Sooooo glad I listened.

KandleKrazy - right now I do make just for me and to give as gifts but one day I'd love to be good enough to be able to sell. That one day seems far away at the moment, but that's ok, we all learn to crawl before we walk and I do have a lot of fun making them in the meantime! 

• Like 3

Hellcat, can you put up a picture of this jar you are using?   The size cd8 and 10 I suggested was for an 8oz standard small mouth jar.  If you are using the wide mouth jars, they are a bigger jar than what I thought you were using.  If it is the jar I'm thinking it is, you are going to need probably a cd 18.  So can you do a picture?

Trappeur

What does the burn look like at the half way point? Hitting full melt pool before then will make for a real hot last half, especially given the taper.

Tins are notorious for getting far too hot at the mid point, turning the wax to a complete molten mess when Over wicked. Glass insulates more effectively than metal, compounding the problems. 464 turns liquid pretty quickly.

This is a pic of one that I lit not quite 2hrs ago using the Eco 14 - I wish I had more better pics. but it hasn't quite reached the edges of the jar yet. On the 2nd burn the pool can get pretty deep, more than 1/2 inch deep easy. 

meltpool.jpg

I am not familiar with your wax and have never poured a soy candle....that said:  I use Eco wicks in paraffin containers and pillars;  I have never used an Eco wick larger than a #10.  From my experience, if your melt pool gets extremely deep, then you have over-wicked.  As far as hangup on the sides of the jar goes, that will catch up later as the candle burns further down.  I have a couple odd shaped jars(hour glass shape) that I use and I wick them for the center of the candle.  The top being considerably wider does take several burns before it burns down to the smaller middle of the jar, then all that hang up does catch up as the sides of the jar warm up with subsequent burns.

As TT mentioned in above post, you may be burning off the FO with the huge wick.  One of these days, I'll try using soy so that I can actually speak to what I know :-)

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, TallTayl said:

Coconut scent is a very difficult One in many products including candles. Scoop some out and put it in a wax melter to see if you get any throw. If you do then it is definitely the wick. 

Eco14 is huge. Especially for an 8 ounce jar of an easy to burn wax like 464. It is possible you are burning off the scent before it has a chance to propel into the air. Try backing down to an eco10 and you might be surprised.

I took your advice and got a really nice throw from the melter. I'm in my living room and it's in the kitchen and I can smell it! So along with changing wick sizes I need to rethink the jars I use as well, seems short and squat really isn't the way to go. Until I get it all figured out I'll just hit the craft store and pick up some clamshell/tart containers, no need for all that good smell to go to waste! Thanks everyone for all the tips - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I start making them again! 

• 3 weeks later...

So I melted down 6 candles of the JMC in the oven and added some vanilla since that seems to give a good scent when lit. I rewicked with an ECO 10 (still haven't reordered to try others). This is the 1st burn at 2 hrs. Can someone tell me how it looks?  I know now it's around the 2nd or 3rd burn before you know if the wick is too big/small but I'm still not sure about how the 1st burn should look. Any feedback would be appreciated!

remeltJMCVaneco101st 2hr burn.jpg

Edited by hellkat

I don't know where my 2nd burn pics are but this was the 3rd burn - I blew it out to get the side pic then relit it for a power burn and the sides cleaned up really nice. I think the ECO 10 was  a good size but I don't like that it would split into a Y once it was snuffed out. But aside of the fraying wick I'm 'assuming' this is a good melt pool? It did get a bit deeper during the power burn but it never reached the 1/2 inch mark like the 14's did.  

burn2side.jpg

burn3.jpg