Testing everything.....making nothing?

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

I feel so bad for you guys trying to figure out the new soys and the soys that changed. I think I would be pulling my hair out and don't know if I would have the same patience some of you all have!

To OP-- RE selling-- I think I know the exact thread you are referring to on the are you ready to start selling. I read that about a yr or two ago. Some of it I agree with and some of it seems off or moot to me. It has some good info but you should not take it all to heart. Everyone is different and not every single piece of info in there will apply to you. So don't let it discourage you. Instead, take from it what appeals to you and helps you on your way. Once you start selling you are going to have to learn a lot of things you just have to jump in and do and can't get the answers to by reading about it.

The one thing I do know and try to tell those who have dreams of selling is to follow your dream and don't let anyone talk you out of it! You know if you stumble you can turn that around into a learning experience. You are not afraid to try what you want or something new so go for it!

I think you are just experiencing winter blues and try to remember that is just temporary. So don't give up but if you need to pace yourself or take time off. I find when I get in a rut or feel blue a little break does wonders. When you come back to something refreshed and rejuvenated you see it in a whole new perspective.

Oh @Candybee thank you so much for saying this. It made me almost tear up a little bit haha. I do think most of it has just been the winter blues in conjunction with everything else. We are starting to have sunnier, warmer spring days and on those days I feel so much better. Today I tried a new bath bomb recipe and made two batches!! I would've made more but I ran out of cornstarch. I really appreciate you saying all of this though. I definitely am always open to advice. I know I still have a lot to learn. And honestly I'm sure a lot of veterans are tired of newbies jumping into the game and expecting to have their product made, perfected, labeled, and on shelves within a month. While I am definitely excited to get my products selling, I am such a perfectionist I want to make sure they are absolutely perfect first hahaha.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, LittleMissSunshine said:

Now I'm also in this weird place where I'm just testing everything

I know how you feel. I poured 12 candles last week and Thursday as we were packing for a short vacation my wife says, “aren’t you going to bring a candle”, and I didn’t have to bring. After a year on the candle making struggle bus I’ve started listening to the smart, talented, experienced people on this board, so I went back to square one and I’m testing everything and making nothing. Right now I’m focused on my goal of making a candle that I would want to buy, I don’t think about what happens after that. The only thing I’m trying to make right now is progress, if I focus on that I’ll get there. I highly recommend a written plan and a set of goals with a realistic schedule to meet them.

2 hours ago, Forrest said:

I know how you feel. I poured 12 candles last week and Thursday as we were packing for a short vacation my wife says, “aren’t you going to bring a candle”, and I didn’t have to bring. After a year on the candle making struggle bus I’ve started listening to the smart, talented, experienced people on this board, so I went back to square one and I’m testing everything and making nothing. Right now I’m focused on my goal of making a candle that I would want to buy, I don’t think about what happens after that. The only thing I’m trying to make right now is progress, if I focus on that I’ll get there. I highly recommend a written plan and a set of goals with a realistic schedule to meet them.

Yes yes yes yes yes! You get it Haha! We will both definitely get there. Keep at it! A written plan sounds like an excellent idea. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, olives said:

@TallTayl - have you stopped selling candles until you figure this whole wax thing out? I'm still running my business while testing other waxes/blends frantically on the side. It's a nightmare.

I’m running through all the old inventory as I work on new things. Thankfully in the off-season like this my candle sales are slow enough where it’s not a problem. Keeping my eyes on the prize of Having candles that I like again.

• Like 1

I am using up my last box of 464 this week.  Just got two more cases, today, so testing starts all over again.  At the same time, I'm trying to go through as many fragrance samples I have by testing in salt in a warmer.  If I can't stand the smell, out it goes.  I won't make candles from it.  Just my way of cleaning out stuff for once.  

GoldieMN

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading all of the replies to this topic and I'm finally going to add my 2 cents (or scents?!)  I can totally relate to LittleMissSunshine regarding her frustration.  I think I can equate candle crafting to learning how to play golf.  Seriously.  You think you have a decent swing one day and the next you turn into a shankapotomous.  I truly believe that with either you never become the master of the game that you want to be BUT you learn how to adjust and make corrections to get back "in the swing".  Neither of these hobbies will stand for you becoming cocky.  I've learned in both instances that I need to put my big girl pants on and do the work to improve and I also laugh along the way.  Keep it in perspective..............life is grand :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1