Melts- Which of these three waxes would you pick

Barefootgirl

I’m placing some orders today for wax melt supplies and would appreciate your opinions. 

If you could only chose one wax to use for portion cups from below which do you chose and why?

1.) 50/50 blend of igi 4630 & igi 4625

2.) igi 4786

Would one or both these work well for brittle too? 

Also so would you recommend Flaming Candle liquid dyes or where else do you prefer?  

Thanks!!!!!

Edited by Barefootgirl
Inability to type lol

13 minutes ago, Barefootgirl said:

I’m placing some orders today for wax melt supplies and would appreciate your opinions. 

If you could only chose one wax to use for portion cups from below which do you chose and why?

2.) igi 4786

Also so would you recommend Flaming Candle liquid dyes or where else do you prefer?  

Thanks!!!!!

2 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

2.) igi 4786

Thanks!!!!!

For portion cups I would also use 4625/4630 at 50/50. That's a perfect blend for cups.

I've tried Flaming's dyes as well as Lone Star's and they're the same in my opinion. Can't go wrong with either one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, Barefootgirl said:

2.) igi 4786

Thanks!!!!!

The 4630 /4625 blended is not good for brittle .I use this blend for melts with great results.The brittle needs a good hard pillar wax ,breaks very easily  .Hope this helps to answer your question on brittle .I recommend CW 129 or any high melt point pillar votive to make good brittle .

26 minutes ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I was thinking of 4625 or 4630 for clamshells. Is a blend of the two better? Why?

Definitely have to blend the two for clamshells imo.I know many Crafters use this blend & get great results ,including me.Belinda is correct in advising a 50-50 blend for cups .This will also work great with clamshells ,pops  right out of the molds with ease.I do different ratios with both , depends on what molds I use.Hope this helps answer your question .

15 hours ago, LittleMissSunshine said:

I was thinking of 4625 or 4630 for clamshells. Is a blend of the two better? Why?

The 4630 is very soft and won't pop out of clamshells or cups cleanly.

Depending on the type of warmer, sometimes the melt point of the 4625 is too high to get a good hot throw, so a blend is a nice compromise. Also, adding the 4630 can help reduce the dimples and bumps of the harder waxes.

2 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

Curious why no one would pick the 4786? 

I have never used 4786 , curious how well this wax would perform for melts.I do not know the melting point ,maybe someone will chime in about the 4786 .Do you use 4786 ? If so how well does it perform with each melts ? Thanks 😀

• 1 year later...

4786 is a container wax, 100% paraffin. You will need to add a harder wax to it. 4786 on its own will not release. I do love the 4786 for container candles, has great HT,but do not like repours 😏