Blending co92 with soy

I know that @TallTayl, @Clear Black, and @ComfortandJoy  have all been testing blends of co92 with soy wax, and so I jumped on the wagon to give it a go myself. I did 2 blends - 20% co92 with 444 and 20% with 464, and after about a 10-12 day cure I'm burning the 2 tests this morning.

It really seems like the co92 is slowing the burn of both of my tester jars, especially with the 444 blend. Not a bad thing, but I have no idea why or how that would be the case. Each jar is wicked with my usual ECO wicks.

Would love to hear input/results/experiences from anyone who has blended co92 with soy.

Have you burned the 444 and 464 from the same lot with the same wicks before without co92?

i don’t find that the co92 does anything to improve throw of my soy. It can make the harder lots of soy easier to burn (like any oil can). What I have found with coconut wax and coconut oils of all available types, is they soot. Some soot far worse than paraffin container waxes. It’s so frustrating. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Have you burned the 444 and 464 from the same lot with the same wicks before without co92?

I have burned these particular lots using the same wicks before, but blended with 25% of the coconut slab wax from C&S. In those cases, the burn was much faster...

I don't know whether I'm coming or going anymore with these changes to soy!!

48 minutes ago, olives said:

I don't know whether I'm coming or going anymore with these changes to soy!!

I totally agree. My only hope is to commit to enough cases at one time to figure out the shortcomings, and produce from there. 

One thing I have learned from working with C3 for so many years, and more recently with 444, is to blend with 415. 415 is kind of a naked soy that reduces the irratiting aspects of both C3 and 444.. My current 444 is strange to burn and hard to wick, but adding 415 makes it seem more “normal”.  415 alone was not all that great for me. But it helps other waxes, if that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

One thing I have learned from working with C3 for so many years, and more recently with 444, is to blend with 415. 415 is kind of a naked soy that reduces the irratiting aspects of both C3 and 444.. My current 444 is strange to burn and hard to wick, but adding 415 makes it seem more “normal”.  415 alone was not all that great for me. But it helps other waxes, if that makes sense. 

That is really interesting, and thank you for that tip...I'm going to order a small bag to test. I should quit making candles and become a professional tester. :laugh2:

8 hours ago, ComfortandJoy said:

It's coconut oil that's been hydrogenated to increase the average melt point from 76 to 92 degrees.  It's not coconut wax. :)

Interesting.  What is the benefit of using it?  Does it increase burn time or throw?  I use 464?

Edited by ellajoan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ellajoan said:

Interesting.  What is the benefit of using it?  Does it increase burn time or throw?  I use 464?

I'm hoping to increase scent throw and help with a better melt pool.  Not sure if it's facilitating either of those at this point.  I'm using it in 444.  I think with 464 it will make it even softer than it is.

• Like 1

I use other waxes and oils to change the burn of my current soy wax. Some cases of soy are so difficult to burn they need an additive to facilitate a burn. A good burn can then lend to a better scent throw, but not always.

The only reason i chose coconut oil (either 76 or 92) is because it is not paraffin. Though, being truthful, paraffin performs better for me as far as improving scent throw.  

56 minutes ago, ComfortandJoy said:

I'm hoping to increase scent throw and help with a better melt pool.  Not sure if it's facilitating either of those at this point.  I'm using it in 444.  I think with 464 it will make it even softer than it is.

I tried it with 464 and it definitely made it too soft...and so far I'm not noticing much of a difference in hot or cold throw with adding it to 444. 

• Like 2