Organizing a Candle Journal

After multiple episodes of doing things over because I couldn’t remember the outcome of the first time I got a notebook and started writing everything down. That worked well for a short time, but now I find that my lack of organization makes it difficult to find the information I need. I have only been doing this for a short time and I imagine that in a couple of years I’m going to remember I tested zinc core wicks in 8oz tins with 4630 and want to know the results. I would love to know how you organize all the information from your testing.

If you don't have a spreadsheet program on your computer, I suggest one of those columned notepads (8.5 x 11") that accountants use.  You can even get the larger one if needed.  Can you now tell what my career entailed before I retired?  

Each test category at the top header, ie:  wax, wick, scent, color, result.  You'll have to leave several lines so you can fill in your results.  I like excel on my computer because then I can do a search and find things quickly or sort by any category.  If you do this, back it up elsewhere!!  I lost my notes before I bought a external hard drive to do a back-up on.

• Like 2

Most chandlers use a candle test logsheet. It should list all the information about what wax, wick, jar, fragrance, additives and such that go into the candle, what % of each you use, and all your test burns, etc. It would also include the birth date of the candle, cure time, test burn dates, before and after weights, plus hours burned during test.

I make my test logsheets on regular copy paper and save them in a binder for easy reference. I save the logsheet file on my computer so anytime I am testing a new candle, wax, wick, FO, etc., I just print one out to use.  I also found keeping them by date and wax type worked for me.

Keeping logs of your work with candle testing will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Forgot to add I also made a section on the logsheet where I make notations of my observations about the candle burn. For example I might observe sooting, flame height, hot/cold throw, mushrooming, etc.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I guess I do a combination of what kandlekrazy and Candybee do. I also keep notes in my SM3 software for my candles (even though it's made for soapmaking, it works for candles as well). 

I wish SM3 was iOS compatible. 😞

As old and sad as my iPad is, my laptop is even worse!

Do you use the lite version or the professional version?

22 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

If you don't have a spreadsheet program on your computer, I suggest one of those columned notepads (8.5 x 11") that accountants use.  You can even get the larger one if needed.  Can you now tell what my career entailed before I retired?  

Each test category at the top header, ie:  wax, wick, scent, color, result.  You'll have to leave several lines so you can fill in your results.  I like excel on my computer because then I can do a search and find things quickly or sort by any category.  If you do this, back it up elsewhere!!  I lost my notes before I bought a external hard drive to do a back-up on.

I have Excel on my computer and as I am a engineer at NASA you would think that would be my first choice, but I take a lot of notes while I'm making candles and I want to keep everything together. Also I'm doing this as a hobby, and a way to spread some joy to friends and family and using Excel sounds too much like work:)

Edited by Forrest

22 hours ago, Candybee said:

Most chandlers use a candle test logsheet. It should list all the information about what wax, wick, jar, fragrance, additives and such that go into the candle, what % of each you use, and all your test burns, etc. It would also include the birth date of the candle, cure time, test burn dates, before and after weights, plus hours burned during test.

This sounds more my speed. My wife of 34 years just finished her master’s degree so I have lots of 3 ring binders and office supplies. The pictures I see here help me a lot, and I could fill out the test sheets, scan them and add pictures. I could also scan the notes I have now and add them. I just got some new wicks so I better get started on a candle test logsheet.

4 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I wish SM3 was iOS compatible. 😞

As old and sad as my iPad is, my laptop is even worse!

Do you use the lite version or the professional version?

I've had the pro version since it was in BETA mode and at the time it wasn't called SM3, just Soap Maker 2.1.  

I believe Crawford is trying to work on a Mac/Apple version, but have no idea how far he's gotten or if it's still in the works. 

• Thanks 1

I use index cards.  Each time I test a new scent, I note the fragrance blend, supplier(s), wick size, wax, color, and date of pour.  After the cure, I write down test burns and results.

If I decide the new candle is a GO, I flip the card and write down all the pertinent pouring info for my assistant and I to repeat those results.  The cards are filed in an index card file alphabetically by the name we chose for the new candle.

• Like 4