Bubbles on my candles

Vee

Hey guys

Here I am again...frustrated as I am new to candle making and am making a lot of pillar candles with paraffin wax...which there is not a lot of info about.Most people make container candles and there is a lot of information about that...maybe I am looking in the wrong places...

So I made some lotuses in a silicone mold...Paraffin wax poured at 190 F and got a lot of tiny bubbles on all the petals which gives the flower a whitish appearance....

not good at all...

so I tried again and poured at a lower temperature and once again tiny white bubbles....what am I doing that is causing this...?

If i now use a heat gun my flower will get warped and not be sharp anymore...

please help.....

I used mold release spray too and its a red flower which has white bubbles .....! awful looking....

Silicone molds do not need mold release. That could be the cause of your problem right there. I would eliminate that and see if you are still having a problem. 

Sometimes, it's just bad silicone. If the mold is perfectly clean, no spray, it's dry, etc., and you are still getting the bubbles, that could be the reason. 

I had a hand made silicone mold that would do that, and finally determined it was the silicone used. 

Thank you guys ....It’s a superior quality silicone mold and the bubbles are appearing in all the ones I make in the silicone Molds....I spoke with my supplier he says it’s the wax blend which causes bubbles . I am planning to go and do some study on wax blends with him this Saturday... as I am also facing a lot of shrinkage and distortion if I make a tall candle eg a tall star candle it’s not perfect all the way thru ... at places mid way where the lines meet the shape gets warped and is not sharp. I hope it is only about the wax and it gets sorted. It’s so frustrating when after all the struggle and hard work you get a candle with either bubbles or is just warped...beginners frustrations and learnings I guess

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have the same problem with my candle, same using paraffin wax & silicone mould and there is also some liquid on the surface after fully harden which appears to be the fragrance oil.. how do you incorporate the fragrance oil better? Do I have to change it to soy wax so it’s not so transparent ( thus, can’t really see the little bubbles? Also, is there any good wax dye that is recommended? Mind seems to still have some colour not fully mixed into the wax..

• 1 year later...

Hi I recently bought a 3d mould printed silicone for candle making however when I take them out there are always air bubbles in. Do you think it's because of the 3D grooves that are in the mould (like viynl grooves) or do you think it's something else? 

I'm using pillar wax 

Maybe an SLA would work better?

Any help be much appreciated 🙏 

18 hours ago, dazzler81 said:

Hi I recently bought a 3d mould printed silicone for candle making however when I take them out there are always air bubbles in. Do you think it's because of the 3D grooves that are in the mould (like viynl grooves) or do you think it's something else? 

I'm using pillar wax 

Maybe an SLA would work better?

Any help be much appreciated 🙏 

Any roughness on the mold surface will trap air as wax is poured. You can try silicone spray or other candle release agent to help but a smooth surface will be your better bet.