Naturewax C3 and HTP1212

Hey everyone, here I am again asking for guidance. So I am currently doing the dreaded burn tests, I chose two HTP wicks and I have 3 tester candles I am doing today. I have done two already, clarified that 1212 wick is the way to go for this specific FO at least. So just for the fun of it I decided to burn my last candle from the bath, I poured this one very last and it doesn't quite reach the line of my 8oz tin. So, neither of the other two candles from this batch was having this issue, but this one is kinda going crazy. Flame is erratic, and smoking a bit. Why is this so when it is from the same batch? Is it possible that because this was the last one poured it got more FO in it? I am using the same wick as one of the other testers and didn't experience this.

Also, when you are pouring your last candle from a batch, do you scoop whatever drops are left in the pan into it, or do you just attempt to pour but not go gung ho? I am really wondering if at the bottom of a batch if there is always going to be FO that has settled, so this will be something I experience often if that is the case.

Excuse my nube questions, greatly appreciate responses, thanks for your time.

Amy, that is a huge wick! What size is your container?

I use HTPs, and although they are supposed to be self-trimming, when I get to the end of a power burn or if the wick is just a little too long or too big they will behave that way.

I'm a paraffin user, and the HTPs love my 4630 blend. I've not heard that they are a good wick for soy though. There are so many experienced soy users here, I'd suggest doing a search in the veggie wax forum for wick suggestions with the C3. It sounds like you've invested some time and money into the HTPs, but I would hate to always have a sub-par candle if it were me. Just a suggestion! 😊

I too agree with Birdcharm and Sarah....

That is a huge wick.  What jar style and size are you using?  What percentage oil also.  HTP's were my choice of wicks when using c3 so I don't think there is a problem there.

What oil are you having problems with?

Trappeur

• Like 1

If the container has more empty space above the wax line it creates a chimney that can make the flames dance.

questions:

Is this the same exact container the others were poured in?

have you burned the others to the same level?

how long did each cure before lighting?

do you stir well, and periodically as you pour candles from the pour pot?