Color bleed in candles

I have bought the brown color in wax form... I used it to make some coffee candles.since I needed dark brown I used quite a bit of the color. I used paraffin wax and some vybar as the additive. When I de moulded my candle there was a lot of color at the bottom like a bleed and even though I tissued it off it still keeps coming off.

I had also made some candles using the same color in coffee cups even then I saw a color bleed which is like color coming off off something ... long after I had made the candles...strange !
Please help ....what I can do as I have an exhibition coming up and need to fix this asap
Thanks a ton in advance

I'm thinking along the lines of TallTayl, and am wondering also if it's not fragrance? Straight paraffin doesn't hold as much fragrance as a lot of other waxes can - especially straight pillar wax. Straight pillar wax will usually only hold about 3-4% fragrance ppw. 

How much wax to how much fragrance, vybar, and colorant? All of that information can help us diagnose what could be going wrong with your candle. 

How hot are you heating your wax before adding the brown colored wax? What are the instructions for adding the color? How long are you mixing the wax once you add the color?

I use rediglo dye chips and if you don't heat the wax hot enough some colors don't blend well. But then they tend to leave color flecks in the bottom of the candle.

Edited by Candybee

I am using 10% vybar,90%paraffin.FO 5%.... mixed into wax at around 200 degrees. The color was not dark enough and had a reddish tint so I added a little black in it... the brown was a dye block and black was powder(which I used very little of).

the color seems to have dried off now but if I touch the candle a bit of color comes off..

9 minutes ago, Vee said:

I am using 10% vybar,90%paraffin.FO 5%.... mixed into wax at around 200 degrees. The color was not dark enough and had a reddish tint so I added a little black in it... the brown was a dye block and black was powder(which I used very little of).

the color seems to have dried off now but if I touch the candle a bit of color comes off..

To me, it sounds like there was a bit too much FO. When I add too much FO to a straight paraffin candle, no matter how little color I use, the scent oozes out and so does color. Try using less FO, and a little less color and see what happens. 

26 minutes ago, Vee said:

10% vybar is WAY too much.

I would recommend to start .5 weight oz of scent to a weight lb of wax
with 1 tsp vybar. It to me sounds like the scent is pouring out of the wax.

What wax are you using specifically?

• Like 1

Thanks guys for your prompt replies 

I was using a tablespoon earlier but my supplier said to use 10%..thanks guys I will try reducing the quantity of both vybar and FO... the brown color seems to be a problem... it has way too much red in it... I was also told to add the color right in the beginning and to make the wax very hot and only then the color will mix well and I won't have a bleed..I am fairly new to candles so have been having all these challenges...

I am assuming that your wax has a melt point of over 136dF, which would mean that the supplier probably sold you Vybar 103 ... they must have meant 1% ... it should only be used at .25 to 1%.  If your wax has a melt point of less than 136dF, then you can use a little more, but not much more. 

I do not believe the brown color is the problem really as far as the bleeding goes ... try again and see what happens now.  :)

• Like 1

Yes the color will come out in the fragrance. It is just too much fragrance or not compatible with that wax.

Always weigh your wax and scent on a digital scale. Do you happen to know specifically what paraffin wax you are using? (example IGI 1343, IGI 2281 etc)