Starting again...

LRcandles

Cant seem to get excited about candles any more. I still have my shop and i haven't done anything with wax and fragrances in a year. But....cant leave them alone either when the fall rolls around. I had started another business but that fell thought. Never, and I mean never go into business with family. So...the wax and fragrances are calling my name again. reading pass post of people having trouble with wicks,wax , Ive decided to pretty much stay with melts. I have 1 boxes of 464 that Ive made a few melts with,( but its so oily), 2 boxes of plain paraffin and 1 of C3. Ive always have used paraffin for years till the couple that sold to me passed away. Couldnt find the wax any where and had to start over with new formula. Im not a seller...period. Put me out in the shop and I can make candles non stop. But I guess Im finally at a age I just dont care what other people think,and Im going to go out and sell. Ive worked with candles for 15+ years now. Its do or die trying.

A few contradictions. 

On 8/20/2017 at 0:29 PM, LRcandles said:

Cant seem to get excited about candles any more.

.the wax and fragrances are calling my name again

Im not a seller...period

Im going to go out and sell

I'm not into sales too. I still do it though before I can hire.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, LRcandles said:

Cant seem to get excited about candles any more ...

You're simply in a rut.  It can happen sometimes ... I know that when I've ever found myself in one, it may have been due to being pulled in another direction for one reason or another and then I try to continue where I left off, but it doesn't seem to work that way.  I think it helps to get in a mood to start over with your craft -- clean things up, decide on what you'd like to do -- type of candles, type of waxes, type of scents, etc. -- then start a new era in your candle making.  Often, I find that creative surges take hold and then there's no stopping you ... you want to give everyone a candle for a gift and you'd like anyone to take notice of what you've created.  We can't be our best if we hold ourselves back from doing what we love the most.  I made my first candle in another lifetime and they're still my friends!  :)

• Like 2

Sounds to me like you still have a sour taste in your mouth from your last business venture and that is having an effect on your candlemaking. Seems to me you need to reinvent yourself to get those creative juices flowing again.

For me I like starting out listing themes I would like to try. Then create a candle line around that theme. In your case a tart theme. I come up with some cute candle names, labels, jars, color scheme, etc. that match the theme and before I know it I am excited about my new candle line and can't wait to get started.

For you it may be something else but reinventing a hobby or business can really help get you out of your doldrums.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

For me I like starting out listing themes I would like to try. Then create a candle line around that theme. In your case a tart theme. I come up with some cute candle names, labels, jars, color scheme, etc. that match the theme and before I know it I am excited about my new candle line and can't wait to get started.

When I get in a rut, or want to try new things, this is similar to what I do. I have a couple white boards in my lab with dry erase markers, and I simply start making lists. Sometimes I actually do what is on the list, but more often than not, the list sparks my creativity and I make something completely out of the blue and not on the list. And then it just flows from that point. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2017 at 11:02 PM, bathaway said:

A few contradictions. 

ys, Im a fence rider, cant seem to make decisions well. wishy washie is my middle name...lol. ..Im making myself do this...lol. If I tell myself enough times..I can do it! Just putting thoughts down, not a crime.

I'm not into sales too. I still do it though before I can hire.

Good Luck!

A few ideas that stimulate the creative juices for me:

1.  Look at the photos in the gallery.  They sometimes really inspire me to get out of my rut.  

2.  Clean / tidy / de-clutter my workshop.  Getting things re-organized somehow gives me energy to create.  I think most people are wired to feel free and more at peace when in  orderly environments.  Chaos and clutter de-energize and de-motivate.

3.  Order samples of a new fragrance, wax, dye, or wicks to play around with.  Or a new mold.