Candle Fragrance Concern

Hello Droidus,

Well first off, I saw your other post with pictures....

WE need more information so when you put up a post we can make suggestions if you give all particulars of what you used and how you did.

What wax are you using?

What is the name of the fragrance oil you are using and where from?

What wicks did you use in the picture?

How long are your testings?

Is it a first burn or 2/nd?

How long did you cure your candle before burning?

When your making your candle at temp did you heat the wax and what temp did you pour at?

You did correct in using 1 oz per pound of wax....

Trappeur

• Like 1

Specifically, what wax (brand and type) are you using?  I find it's best to go to the manufacturer's website to find out the appropriate fragrance loads, as some suppliers may sometimes create their own recommendations of how much should be used.  The manufacturer is going to give exact guidelines to follow in accordance to that particular wax. 

You've used just over 6% in your candle if you've used a half-ounce of scent in your 8 oz. jar.  If your wax allows for more fragrance oil to be used, you may be able to use more after doing the math.  (My most not-enjoyed part of candlemaking!)  :)

As I'm typing, I see Trappeur has replied, so perhaps she has some good advice for you!

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hello Droidus,

Well first off, I saw your other post with pictures....

WE need more information so when you put up a post we can make suggestions if you give all particulars of what you used and how you did.

What wax are you using?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WZ6N1QW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is the name of the fragrance oil you are using and where from?

http://maplestreetcandle.com/1-oz-Candy-Corn_p_43.html

What wicks did you use in the picture?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E0724PW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long are your testings?

I burned it for ~ 3-4 hours

Is it a first burn or 2/nd?

1st

How long did you cure your candle before burning?

1 week

When your making your candle at temp did you heat the wax and what temp did you pour at?

Yes; I believe ~135 degrees

You did correct in using 1 oz per pound of wax....

How do you know this?  I've been told that different fragrances may vary on how much to use.  This fragrance in particular, on the spec sheet, had "no restriction" (ref: https://maplestreetcandle-com.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/ifra/candycorn.pdf).  Does it not vary?

Trappeur

I would wait two weeks before testing for hot throw.  Many chandlers use "6%" for all their candles.  Just something learned along the way. 

I use 464 soy and follow recommendations for oils/oil companies found on this forum so I can't help you with the wax you are using.

Goldie

It is really hard to tech support throw issues with basically undocumented wax and wicks from Amazon. Those links are to unbranded products, so it is anyone's guess as to what they are. 

The wax states they add 2% universal soy additive. That much additive changes the burn of normal soy wax and can impede throw right there, but without knowing what brand it originated as it is anybody's guess. Soy waxes are made using different hydrogenation levels which changes they way they perform. 

The description for the Wicks just states cotton. Is that square braid? rRD? What size? Wicks are not a one size fits all like their listing states. 

Have you asked the fragrance supplier why their fragrance is not throwing?

On 8/22/2017 at 10:21 PM, TallTayl said:

It is really hard to tech support throw issues with basically undocumented wax and wicks from Amazon. Those links are to unbranded products, so it is anyone's guess as to what they are. 

The wax states they add 2% universal soy additive. That much additive changes the burn of normal soy wax and can impede throw right there, but without knowing what brand it originated as it is anybody's guess. Soy waxes are made using different hydrogenation levels which changes they way they perform. 

The description for the Wicks just states cotton. Is that square braid? rRD? What size? Wicks are not a one size fits all like their listing states. 

Have you asked the fragrance supplier why their fragrance is not throwing?

Where do you recommend purchasing wicks/wax from?  Is more additive bad, impeding the throw?

I have not asked them, but I will.

4 minutes ago, droidus said:

what does 464 stand for?

It is a soy wax.  You can buy it from many of the candle supply companies.  If it were me, I would purchase a wax recommended on this forum as you will get more help if you have problems since we have dealt with these waxes.

Goldie

18 minutes ago, droidus said:

what does 464 stand for?

Golden Brands or Golden Wax 464 is a soy wax, as GoldieMN mentioned. I use it (and have since I started). When I began my candle adventures I ordered from Candle Science to start. I ordered my wax, wicks, dyes, and fragrances from them (they are still my go to for so many FOs and other things). They are a reputable and helpful company. I watched their videos and spent hours and hours reading fragrance reviews - I learned SO MUCH. I have also spent years lurking and reading and learning from these wonderful chandlers on Craftserver. Everyone is very nice and help as they can. I use the search tool to try and find related threads.

Best of luck to you with your candles :)

One more thought - It looks like the wax you got from Amazon is from The Candle Makers Store. I would contact them and ask them for more information about the wax (brand and kind that they sell on Amazon - it might help you decide what to do with it). I order wicks from CS (Candle Science) off Amazon once - they were sold as Medium and CS doesn't list Medium on their website. CS was quick to get back to me with exactly what brand and size so I could use them properly.

• Like 1

First, I may have missed it, but are you planning to make candles to sell?  Second, is there any name/number on the bag of wax to indicate it is Golden Brand (GB) 414, 415, 444, 464, or Natural Soy 125, 135, 444, 464?  It looks like the place that sells that wax on Amazon is The Candlemaker's Store which sells the waxes that many of us use.  So we may be able to help you after all. :)  Lastly, the wicks.  Any indication on the package if they are CDs, Premier, HTP. . .?

Goldie

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jenn-MN said:

One more thought - It looks like the wax you got from Amazon is from The Candle Makers Store. I would contact them and ask them for more information about the wax (brand and kind that they sell on Amazon - it might help you decide what to do with it). I order wicks from CS (Candle Science) off Amazon once - they were sold as Medium and CS doesn't list Medium on their website. CS was quick to get back to me with exactly what brand and size so I could use them properly.

I certainly would call them as Jenn-MN suggests.  Find out not only the brand of wax and number but how what you bought (with additive) is different from buying that wax again from their website.

Goldie

• Like 1

In looking at the Amazon link for the wax ... if you scroll down the page, you'll see that they have a Q&A section there.  Maybe it would be a good idea to ask them if there is a brand name affiliated with this wax or if it is a custom blend.  I have a feeling it's a custom blend since they didn't note it.

Also, I see that it says:

This is a good container blend with a 121-125 melt point that is blended with 2% of our Universal Soy Wax Additive

This wax can hold up to 15% Fragrance and has an incredible hot throw.

Your candle was poured with 6% f/o ... perhaps you should try again, bumping the scent just a bit to see if you get better results.

1 hour ago, droidus said:

Hmmm, ok.  Not sure what to do with the big bag of wax I have right now :( Any ideas/recommendations?

Okay, so I went back and read through more of the Q&A's there on the auction page.  Even though the page says "container blend" ... the title says it's soy wax ... and, from one of the answered, I'm gathering that this is GW444.

If this is the case, and I think it most likely is, when you heated the wax, it wasn't hot enough if you only heated to 135dF.

You would need to heat to about 185, add your scent at about 170, stirring well, cool to about 140-150 as many do (which is a little hotter than the recommended), stir again before pouring.  Also, if it's GW444, you can add 9-11% fragrance oil.

I would try again and see if this makes a difference for you.

• 2 weeks later...

hi *hiding*

first off would like to say i'm so impressed by the pleasantness of everyone on here and how helpful this forum is. hence my decision to join. 

now for the issue. Please don't be irked by this as i see from reading through the comments it has been discussed, How ever i have tried everything and my candles just aren't taking to the scent. the cold throw of my candles are amazing and gives me the illusion that once lit it will be amazing, however it has been the complete opposite and once lit its a complete anti climax.

I am fairly new to candle making and hoping that i am just making an obvious rookie mistake and someone can tell me what this is :huh:

THE  METHOD AND PRODUCTS I USED 

* CB135 SOY WAX

* PURE LIFE ESSENTIAL OIL 

*I MELT IT TO 155-185df 

*STIR AND LET COOL (while constantly stirring)  

*ADD SCENT AT AROUND 160-140df (depending on what temp wax was melted at) 

*I STARTED WITH USING 6% SCENT TO MEASUREMENT OF WAX (but then after reading the comments on here i increased it to 10%) but still doesn't seem to make much difference. the candle scent just isn't filling the room you have to move real close its receive it's aroma.  

PLEASE HELP WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ? AM I DOING ANYTHING RIGHT ? CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY TIPS OR ADVICE PLEASE?

SHOULD I CHANGE THE FRAGRANCE OIL I'M USING AND IF SO DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OR PERHAPS IT'S THE WAX ??????????????????

• Like 1

I would encourage you not to give up.  This is the challenge of candlemaking with soy waxes; it takes some time, effort, research, and good ol' trials to get it right. :)  It's a tricky business with a bit of a learning curve, so hang in there.  You have to experiment with different fragrances, fragrance load, and different types of wicks (not to mention different sizes of wicks to achieve proper burn).  Even a heavy dye load can clog a wick, so make sure you follow manufacturers' instructions.

I'd say get yourself some fragrance oils made specifically for candlemaking.  Some essential oils just don't burn well (ask me how I know - lol).  Your soy wax is not uncommon, and I'm sure lots of chandlers here are familiar with that one.  (I do recall seeing a thread about the formulas on some brands changing recently.  You might check to see if CB 135, an EcoSoya brand wax, is one of the impacted waxes.)  And soy waxes in general, in my experience, need a bit more than 6% fragrance load for killer throw.  Plenty of folks are happy with 6%, but I want to smell that baby burning from across an average sized room.  

And it would be good to know what kind of wick you're using.  That would be helpful information for troubleshooting.  And as mentioned above, be sure to let the candle cure for at least a few days before test burning.  Also try moving candle to different areas, as there are "dead zones" in homes with no air flow.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I generally use about 8%.  Yes, soy.  Well I actually make both paraffin candles and soy candles.  

I'm so afraid of the wick getting clogged as others warn so I stay around 7%.  I use to get a great hot throw with 464; but with the changes in the wax, I've wicked down to at least get ANY hot throw but am not getting as strong as it use to be.  *shudder*

Goldie

@Lolli I don't use the products you do, but from what I read on this forum essential oils are not recommended. You need to buy fragrance oils- plus they are a lot less expensive. Also follow the cure time for your wax before trying to burn it. Also, some that have a great cold throw don't hit throw that great. I've got two specifically that I love cold, but is anticlimatic when lit. Keep at it!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I would encourage you not to give up.  This is the challenge of candlemaking with soy waxes; it takes some time, effort, research, and good ol' trials to get it right. :)  It's a tricky business with a bit of a learning curve, so hang in there.  You have to experiment with different fragrances, fragrance load, and different types of wicks (not to mention different sizes of wicks to achieve proper burn).  Even a heavy dye load can clog a wick, so make sure you follow manufacturers' instructions.

I'd say get yourself some fragrance oils made specifically for candlemaking.  Some essential oils just don't burn well (ask me how I know - lol).  Your soy wax is not uncommon, and I'm sure lots of chandlers here are familiar with that one.  (I do recall seeing a thread about the formulas on some brands changing recently.  You might check to see if CB 135, an EcoSoya brand wax, is one of the impacted waxes.)  And soy waxes in general, in my experience, need a bit more than 6% fragrance load for killer throw.  Plenty of folks are happy with 6%, but I want to smell that baby burning from across an average sized room.  

And it would be good to know what kind of wick you're using.  That would be helpful information for troubleshooting.  And as mentioned above, be sure to let the candle cure for at least a few days before test burning.  Also try moving candle to different areas, as there are "dead zones" in homes with no air flow.

Oh my, thank you so much for this reply. Makes me feel like there is hope. 

I did actually try 2 different wicks i forgot to mention that earlier.

I used a regular pre-waxed wick and then later tried the wood wick.

yes you are right i think i did read somewhere that the cb135 soy wax was part of the impacted bunch that has been changed (wish i knew this before i bought it :(lol)

I will keep a it though and try a different brand of fragrance oils also. fingers crossed :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Dorothy Mantooth said:

@Lolli I don't use the products you do, but from what I read on this forum essential oils are not recommended. You need to buy fragrance oils- plus they are a lot less expensive. Also follow the cure time for your wax before trying to burn it. Also, some that have a great cold throw don't hit throw that great. I've got two specifically that I love cold, but is anticlimatic when lit. Keep at it!

Thank you :)

I will definitely look into the fragrance oils instead. 

I read the cure time for cb135  was a minimum of 48 hrs which is what i did, but maybe ill try leaving it a tad longer before testing.

I wont give upB)