Unsecured wicks?

This is kind of random...I follow a couple large-ish candle brands on instagram, and one of them just posted a video of someone pouring tea lights, and then just popping the wicks in after the wax was poured. So the wicks are just stuck to the bottom by whatever wax is under them as they cure, and of course the wax on top of the tab, until that burns down. It seems really unsafe to me, but maybe I'm missing something? I've never burned one of their candles all the way down, but now I want to do it and see if their larger candles have unsecured wicks as well. 

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it just a tealight thing? 

You know JB, I agree with you 100% about them being unsafe with no secured wicks.   I really don't know the reason why, but I know a lot of chandlers do that and I just don't know why.  Especially with the plastic tea lights....I have burned many a tea light and everyone of them the wicks have always moved off to the side.  It is still a candle and I feel should be made the proper way as a candle with an attached wick.  It must be a tealight thing....like you said....but I too would like to know the reason why they are made with no stickum.  Doesn't make sense to me and is dangerous in my eye.

Trappeur

• Like 3

When I made tealights, I used tabbed wicks and I would secure them just like any other candle. Tealights liquefy quicker than any other candle, so that wick has the potential to float around in that cup. And it only takes a small flame to start a BIG FIRE. 

This is why I HATE most of social media (FB, Instagram, PINTEREST!!!,Twitter) for candle/soap/craft knowledge. A lot of people on these forums have never been taught the proper way to make candles, and what they are doing is working for the time being for them, so they think it's 100% correct, and spout it out and start "teaching" others how "it's done" and it is dangerous, and why it's so hard to sell handmade. 1 bad experience for a consumer and we ALL get a bad reputation. UGH

(I put Pinterest in bold because that site is the WORST! - imo of course) 

• Like 1

I am in the secure the wick camp too. Those plastic cups melt pretty easily when a flame gets too close. I have had melting cups, holes burned through the bottom, you name it.

the instructions also come from suppliers. Drives me bonkers. As the lites cool it is so easy for the wicks to be pulled aside.

• Like 1

The thing that was most surprising is that this is an established candle company, who has their product in large retail franchises all over the country. Very odd. 

I will I'll say that they were using metal tealight cups, not that it makes it that much safer. 

44 minutes ago, jbradshaw said:

The thing that was most surprising is that this is an established candle company, who has their product in large retail franchises all over the country. Very odd. 

Big franchise candle companies don't necessarily make safe/good candles. Ever seen a Y*nkee candle burn? Wicks uncentered, large flames, flames close to the glass, tunneling, etc., the list goes on and on.  

They are a large franchise with candles all over the country too - so big is not an indication of 'good'. 

That is how I first started making tealights- it was the only information I could find when I started out - I used metal ones I purchased off Craigslist and half the time I would forget to set the wick in before it was too solidified....And I remember a few of them floating burning the side of the tealight and that's when I found wick stickums and after finding this forum, which changed everything for me to the better , the permatex 

I don't make tealights anymore but at minimum I would use the stickums if I did - I can't believe a big established Company does this but then again....look at how hot yank and BBW wick their jars....

2 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Big franchise candle companies don't necessarily make safe/good candles. Ever seen a Y*nkee candle burn? Wicks uncentered, large flames, flames close to the glass, tunneling, etc., the list goes on and on.  

They are a large franchise with candles all over the country too - so big is not an indication of 'good'. 

Those jars they make in taller cylinder type....I can't believe how gross they are - literally 

my friend had one at her cabin this past weekend which I yelled at her for, she usually buys mine but ran out and that sucker was black all the way around the rim and smelled burnt and I told her to blow it out and trim the 3 inch long wick which she did and relit it - that evening it shattered on her.....

and bbw when you go into the store and they have one of their 3 wickers lit....they are totally liquified about 5-6" deep and have a burnt type smell- I don't get it ?‍♀️

People buy these like they are the bomb 

That is how I started making tealights too.  That was the instructions.  I rarely make them now, except for myself if I have leftover wax from my candle

pours, and they remain just for me for my tea light melter.  I switched from using the plastic tea light cups after having one catch on fire in my warmer.

I use high temp hot glue now for those.