Bigger Wick Size but Less Heat

I guess I don't understand how wick size affects a candle because I'm getting a result I didn't expect.  I've been testing straight-sided, 3.5" tall container candles with 464.  Why would the container be warmer with the 785 Premier, smaller-sized wick than the 790 Premier, larger-sized wick?  The only thing that is different is the wick. 

Goldie

What is the wick material on the premier? Paper burns different from cotton. The twists and chemical treatment make a difference too. 

Without getting all science, sometimes the tightness of the weave is more (or less) efficient at drawing wax through causing a different temperature of combustion. 

This is how they are described:  "Premier candle wicks are a flat braid cotton core wick made from textile-grade cotton. They are designed to promote clean burning and minimize mushrooming from carbon buildup." 

Goldie

Ive noticed the same thing with other wicks as well. I kept thinking I was labeling my testers wrong... but I wasn't.

Just sometimes for whatever reason.... this can happen. Its frustrating, because you are left thinking... "well what the heck do i do now"

• Like 2

Does the wick priming come into play?  The zincs 51-32-18 from Peak are primed with a high melt wax 212 degrees and the same wicks at Candlewic have a 160 degree wax coating.  How would the coatings effect the way my candle burns?  

Thats a good question.. and it may alter it a tad. But my guess on this is that it helps it more in hot melting wax and keep the wick upright.

A flame burns hotter than both of those temps, so I would think once the wick is burning at the flame, it wouldn't matter a ton. That

being said... we all know even the smallest difference can alter results significantly.