Wicking question

Hello! I am knew on here and to candle making as well. I'm using C3 wax in a 12 oz Libbey Status with an ECO 12 wick. It's been burning for almost 2 hours and hasn't reached the sides yet. Should I consider wicking up?

IMG_2105.JPG

That jar is what, 3" across?

i use C3, and have learned eco wicks burn quite hot. An eco 12 is pretty big and will get red hot by the middle of the container. I only move up to an ECO10 when wicking up to a CD 14 won't burn my most difficult fragrances. 

Don't worry about the first burn or three. pay attention as it does reach the sides and be watchful of the melt pool depth. Also periodically touch the jar and note when it becomes too hot to pick up. 

• Like 1

I use that jar all the time but in 464...and I use a cd 14, so Pam that is what I would go with for you.

Nicole, I used to use c3 and loved that wax.  Generally a 3 to 4 hour burning testing stage is how a candle should be normally tested out at.  I used htp's  for the c3 wax so can't really give advice on what eco's to use.  From what I see, in the amount 2 hours you have burned the candle, it looks really nice to me.  You need to continue to test that jar all the way to the end, but so far, I would say you have a beautiful burn going on there.  And you really shouldn't look for a full melt pool all the way to the sides for the first give or take 3 burning sessions.

Trappeur

• Like 2

Just now, Nicole said:

Thank you Trappeur!  Any reason why you stopped using C3? Seems like a lot of people use 464 and I'm wondering if that is what I should have gone with. 

I went the other direction. Started with 464, did not like it and found C3 met my needs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

In that jar, @Trappeur, I would start with a cd12 for most fragrances. 

Thanks Tall tayle....ok I use cd 14's with that jar pretty much all the time.  Maybe I need to go and do another testing in the cd 12.  You have been at this a lot of more years than me...think I'll do a test jar today just to make sure....

Trappeur

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nicole said:

Thank you Trappeur!  Any reason why you stopped using C3? Seems like a lot of people use 464 and I'm wondering if that is what I should have gone with. 

Really no reason at all except when going to order some c3 one day a few years back, they were out of it and I was suggested to try 415 and 464.  I really liked them both.  But for many many years I always used c3 and still do on occasion.  That's a great wax in my opinion.  All waxes have their own characteristics.  You just have to test and test till you figure out which one you like best.  In all honesty there really isn't much difference (in my opinion) with the 3 of them.  415 the suggested pour temperature is at slush stage while c3 and 464 I pour at about 149 if I want a pretty much 1 pour wax.  But then with the way I make my candles with little embeds I pour at any temperature as it is going to get a second pour.  

Trappeur

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicole said:

@TallTayl I just ordered some premier wicks to test. Have you tried them? I knew I should have ordered the CDs as well. Grrrrr. 

There was a forum member here "Old Glory" who just recently died who used 464 exclusively for her wholesale accounts who swore the best wicks were premiers as they have soooo many sizes and so many inbetween sizes that she could find any wick size she needed.  I've been meaning to get  trying them.  But that is another great choice of wicks I would say.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Recently tested premiers in the last round round of C3 wick testing. I'll post pictures from last tray burn today.

I will choose the top 6  at most to move on to tins and status jars. Might add Square masons if I can round up enough. 

I liked incrememental sizing of the premiers as well... but something about them discolored my wax. So the tops became ugly colored. And not just a little.. lots of discoloration.

To me, they were just like zincs except that disadvantage,

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 5:43 AM, Trappeur said:

I use that jar all the time but in 464...and I use a cd 14, so Pam that is what I would go with for you.

Nicole, I used to use c3 and loved that wax.  Generally a 3 to 4 hour burning testing stage is how a candle should be normally tested out at.  I used htp's  for the c3 wax so can't really give advice on what eco's to use.  From what I see, in the amount 2 hours you have burned the candle, it looks really nice to me.  You need to continue to test that jar all the way to the end, but so far, I would say you have a beautiful burn going on there.  And you really shouldn't look for a full melt pool all the way to the sides for the first give or take 3 burning sessions.

Trappeur

This is one of the best advices you and TallTayl have mentioned.

I'm guessing the first few burn tests should be going for about 3hrs as well?

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 8:10 PM, wthomas57 said:

I liked incrememental sizing of the premiers as well... but something about them discolored my wax. So the tops became ugly colored. And not just a little.. lots of discoloration.

To me, they were just like zincs except that disadvantage,

Wow ... that's interesting to note.  Thanks for sharing that!

So I've been testing out the premiers which I like but now just ordered samples of HTP. @Trappeur did I see somewhere that you use HTP?  Wondering what size to start out with for the 12 oz status containers?  Pretty much narrowed it down to premier 780 but figured I would test out a few more wicks before making a final decision. 

Hey Nicole,

Here are my thoughts on the HTP.

Ill preface this with saying that I primarily use two main waxes... 6006 and GW464.

So my thoughts might not translate the exact same to C3. But should be close.

I like HTPs a lot for a couple reasons. They mushroom less, they can easily melt pretty much any wax, and have great quick melt pools.

The disadvantage for me is the heat and flame size. Ironically, those are the same factors that led to the benefits of that wick. But I find the HTPs

just getting so hot so quickly. Really, this isn't a problem for those of us who trim out wicks. The sad reality is nearly all candle buyers do not trim their wicks

no matter what we say or do. Its just a fact and we have to live with it. Well, HTP wicks become a big problem when left unmanaged.. at least for me. 

The reason I mention all of that (which you may have already known) is that this problem gets amplified when using soy, simply because you have to wick up

for soy which just makes this problem worse.

Again, I dont use C3 specifically...., so I am not sure if there are any better options. I know there is a lot of us who use CD wicks so they may be great for you. Personally,

no matter how many chances I give CD wicks... they just are not my wick of choice. Too hot, hate the lean to one side, uneven MPs, and so on.

Every wick has pros and cons. My favorites for how they burn without question are Zinc, Premier, and LX. Problem with all of those are mushrooms and soot.

Ugh, why we chose this life. Ha

• Like 2