I Need A New Soy Wax

Hi Everyone I am new to this lovely group. I need some advise. I about to finish my last box of CB advance soy wax. the only wax I have ever use. the company is no longer selling it. I know have to go and find another soy wax. Do any of you have any suggestions??

I concur with the posters above me.  I use GB 444 wax because it has a higher melting point than 464 and I live in the desert.  However, if I had not worried about the temperature, I probably would have chosen 464.  I believe they are very similar other than the melting point.

• Like 2

Thomas, we are in the same boat. Back before Christmas I bought a truck load of CB Advanced. Went back online tonight to order and just found out. Had I known I would have started the mad hunt for some more to give me time. Now I'm out of wax and not sure where to turn. I also am looking at the 464. Ecosoya is reportedly coming out with a modified version, but to be honest at this point if I have to retest all my wicks I'm not sure if I want to give them any more of my money since the so abruptly pulled the cord on a wax that so many people purchased. At least have your newly modified version in place before you stop the other. I will check back as well on this post to see what others have said. The thought of starting all over just makes me sick.

Steve

• Like 2

I am in Texas so the heat and humidity is crazy. I just stared playing with Natures Wax C-3 soy container. but I just do not like it! I had to wick up on all my scents and the fragrance load is only 6%  I think I may have to try the GB wax. 

17 minutes ago, thomas said:

I am in Texas so the heat and humidity is crazy. I just stared playing with Natures Wax C-3 soy container. but I just do not like it! I had to wick up on all my scents and the fragrance load is only 6%  I think I may have to try the GB wax. 

What don't you like about c-3?  You say you just started fooling with it.  It sounds like you didn't give the wax a chance?   Just because you use 6% oil, think of all the money you will save by not going higher with an oil percentage!  I generally never go over 6%...a few cases I will, but generally no.  Granted you had to wick up on your oils but being that you have to retest  all over again, that's to be expected.  Sorry you have to go through all this all over again...that is truly a bummer.

Trappeur

• 2 weeks later...

The Reason I am not liking the C-3 soy wax is, that it is not burning evenly like my old wax did. there is a small amount of wax around the container. If I wickup the flame is way too big and it is still leaving a small amount of wax. That will not melt and till I do a 3rd test burn. Do you have any suggestions for me @Trappeur 

• 2 weeks later...

Which brand of wicks do you guys use with the 464? When we were using the Ecosoya Advanced we stuck with the ECO. I'll be honest it's hit or miss with them as sometimes they test great and then when moved into production we have varied results. So since we're attempting to switch to the 464 I started with the ECO wicks (from same place) and are also getting varied results. So was curious which wicks you guys use? I have a whole box of wicks I'd like to try to see if I get better results with those...

Steve Stivers

On 3/10/2017 at 9:21 AM, thomas said:

C3 will hold more, but often more does not mean a better hot throw. What wick series, container size, type, etc are you using?

6 hours ago, TallTayl said:

What do you mean by hit or miss?

what size container?

what type of container (glass, tin, etc).

When I burn my test candles I burn the first time and it burns great. Then I wait about 1 week and let my business partner try it and it burns down. Then sometimes It's the other way around. I will burn the candle and it goes out after 15 minutes. Make my notes to wick up and she will burn and it's fine.

We use an 12 oz. Simple mason/canning jar with the ECO wicks. This is what we have used for the past 3 years as only the wax has changed. 

@Glassfishy....

Am I understanding this correctly....you make a tester and you burn it first meaning the first light for a couple hours and then you let it sit for a week and your partner then lights it?

and when you say it goes out after 15 minutes you mean the wick is completely drown out to where it won't stay lit or it is burning out as in melt pool?

and your doing this with 464?

I can tell you if this is how your testing it it is not a very accurate or consistent way to test a candle - are you selling these? And are you doing power burning testing as well?

Where are you getting your eco wicks from and what sizes are you using?

• Like 1

Moonshine. I have been making candles for 3 years and selling them with no issues using Ecosoya CB Advanced. As I'm sure you have heard they discontinued it and we are currently in retesting phase switching over to the 464 (possibly) as a replacement. And No I am not selling them as I am currently testing them with our current fragrance oils.

What I have done is chose some of our most popular sellers and I made testers with the 464. I waited 2-3 days prior to testing for test 1. The results I'm getting are various. I burned one of our bourbon candles and it drowned the wick after 15 minutes. Later in the week I gave them to my business partner to burn and try them and it burned just fine for her after she scraped out the unburned wax on the sides. We always burn for 2-3 hours for consistency. We each take great notes. 

Why is this not consistent or accurate. We are consistent with our notes as to our burn pool/wicking and throw? Am I missing something?

I have always bought my ECO wicks from Lonestar as that is where we originally tested our candles for the Advanced. I have always bought my wax and wicks from their respective places that we use to test our candles so there is no chance of change-ups. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Glassfishy said:

When I burn my test candles I burn the first time and it burns great. Then I wait about 1 week and let my business partner try it and it burns down. Then sometimes It's the other way around. I will burn the candle and it goes out after 15 minutes. Make my notes to wick up and she will burn and it's fine.

We use an 12 oz. Simple mason/canning jar with the ECO wicks. This is what we have used for the past 3 years as only the wax has changed. 

What I would do is set a baseline to isolate the problems. make plain candles with no additives and three different wicks. What wick sizes are you using with those jars? 

I found 464 and C3 burn very VERY differently at three days and three weeks. Do you have pictures of your burns to help troubleshoot?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glassfishy said:

Moonshine. I have been making candles for 3 years and selling them with no issues using Ecosoya CB Advanced. As I'm sure you have heard they discontinued it and we are currently in retesting phase switching over to the 464 (possibly) as a replacement. And No I am not selling them as I am currently testing them with our current fragrance oils.

What I have done is chose some of our most popular sellers and I made testers with the 464. I waited 2-3 days prior to testing for test 1. The results I'm getting are various. I burned one of our bourbon candles and it drowned the wick after 15 minutes. Later in the week I gave them to my business partner to burn and try them and it burned just fine for her after she scraped out the unburned wax on the sides. We always burn for 2-3 hours for consistency. We each take great notes. 

Why is this not consistent or accurate. We are consistent with our notes as to our burn pool/wicking and throw? Am I missing something?

I have always bought my ECO wicks from Lonestar as that is where we originally tested our candles for the Advanced. I have always bought my wax and wicks from their respective places that we use to test our candles so there is no chance of change-ups. 

So your issues are with the 464?  In another thread you stated a customer brought in a candle that had a inconsistent burn which I assume is the advanced your selling and have been selling - I was under the impression your issues are with the advanced 

and what I mean by inconsistent testing is this- your burning the candle first for awhile then it leaves you to go to your partner to burn for awhile, 2 environments in initial testing isn't exactly consistent in an initial test and you should not be having to scrape down the sides at all to get a candle to burn -

I would suggest you make a batch making enough candles for you and your partner to have the exact same candle to test in each of your own environments  

I would make a batch and let it cure 5 days and you test it burning a couple hours at a time until gone and then if it works make it again and power burn it then do it again after a couple weeks cure and again if you can after a month or more 

if your swapping the same candle and burning it in different environments it very well coukd have different results making it harder to pinpoint what the problem is 

I am not questioning your ability to make candles at all please do not take offense to my suggestions, I have been through this years ago with a partner myself and it's harder to get an accurate result when swapping the same candle 

like Talltayl suggests with a new wax maybe try just the wax alone with no FO with different wick series and see what is working best in the 464 for you

CD and Premiers seem to be the popular choices for that one and if you choose CD I would start with a 10 and a 12 in that jar you posted 

Edited by moonshine