What am I doing wrong here ?

Hi guys, I'm new to soy ( for containers anyway ) and I'm hoping you can shed some light on what I'm doing wrong..

i bought the GW 464 and the tops of most are on the rough side, and some have cracks near the wick / wicks. I have tried pouring a ton different temps, but I haven't poured lower than 140...should I pour lower ?

Some have smooth tops and some that were poured af the same temp as the smooth tops are kind of s mess, so there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. 

Other than the tops, the wax looks creamy, clean, and beautiful, and the cold throw is great on most even after one day, so I would like to work with this wax :)

any suggestions or criticisms on what I could be doing wrong would be appreciated !

I use this same wax, but haven't had much roughness of surface, except perhaps on a few in which I used a heat gun and it was only around the edges for the most part that got a little coarse-looking, although it was nothing unacceptable.  If I have had any pits show up, I've gone over them lightly with a heat gun and have smoothed them out. 

What temperature are you heating your wax to before cooling it down to 140?  I was pouring at 125dF, but I find that I get a more smooth, glossy top at 140-150.

• Like 1

Glad you're getting them smoothed out :)  I use 444, which is very similar to 464, and get the most perfect tops when I wait until the wax starts to thicken and get translucent, around 100ºF.

• Like 1

Me too, like Birdcharm, to get get one pour tops pouring about 148 to give or take to maybe 150 my tops are very smooth.   It is a pouring thing you will just have to play around with and pour very slowly.

Trappeur

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Me too, like Birdcharm, to get get one pour tops pouring about 148 to give or take to maybe 150 my tops are very smooth.   It is a pouring thing you will just have to play around with and pour very slowly.

Trappeur

I will definitely be dropping down to around 150, thank you guys so much for the replies ! 

1 hour ago, jbradshaw said:

I found that if I rushed pouring at all, I got some uneven tops. I pour at 135 (but I'm going to try at 150) - and when I take my time with the pour it's super smooth. 

Thank you, I will keep that in mind and pour slower next time :) I thought that I was but I sat here and thought it over, and my version of slow probably isn't really slow, lol...

the hardest part of candle making, to me, is being patient. I suck at that. That is why cure time is the hardest thing on earth for me, lol ! 

• Like 1

Unfortunately with 464 you definitely have to give that wax cure time.....2 weeks I do.  Now there are a few oils that after 7 days cure, they will throw....but for the majority of the time, yes, patience you will need.;)

Trappeur

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jbradshaw said:

I found that if I rushed pouring at all, I got some uneven tops. I pour at 135 (but I'm going to try at 150) - and when I take my time with the pour it's super smooth. 

I always pour slowly -- but, last night I had about a pound of wax ready to go -- I poured one larger candle slowly; a smaller one slowly; and another smaller one with the remainder of the wax was poured like I was pouring a glass of water (not like pouring a carbonated drink) -- and, so guess what?  The last candle I poured with the remaining wax has a smooth top, but it's a bit concave in the center, almost to the point of cracking the top in a circular pattern about a half inch or so around the wick.  The first two slow-poured candles were just fine.  There is something to be said for a slower pour, imo.

• Like 1