Mistake :(

On 2/20/2017 at 11:48 PM, birdcharm said:

I'm forgetting which wax you mentioned you were using ... was it C3?  From my notes, 6% is at the high end of what it's supposed to hold, so you would be over that; but I think it's only about a third+ ounce per candle over, so I don't think all is lost.  If you weren't going to put lids on these or give them to anyone, there is still some room at the top ... I think I'd try warming them just a bit ... maybe in the oven set at 125dF (? ... what do others think here??) and then pour some unscented wax to top them up.

On another note ... I never throw out candle wax!  There is always something you can do with it ... it's like fudge, lol, (I make a lot of "failed fudge brownies!")

Ditto what Birdcharm said....I have had that happen plenty of times to me.....and like Jane said it looks like you poured too hot and maybe too fast.....And pour more slowly.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Ok, you melted your whole jar down, melted another pound of wax to make up for the too much of fragrance you put in....got it.....

When you melted down did you heat everything back up to like 175 and then repoured again.

I don't think it has anything to do with the oil.  I think it is a pouring thing.  Ok try this as I have done this a lot of times.  Don't melt the candle again.....scrape off the top layer till you get to the point where it looks like the craters have started.  Ok, the wax you scraped off, gently heat just till opaque and repour that wax just a little at a time into the top of the candle....let it sit till it hardens - give it an hour I would say....now pour another layer on top of that till you have repoured all the left over wax.  Let that candle sit a day or so before you light it.  I'm assuming you have let this candle cure, is that right?  Ok after you light it, if the candle immediately starts tunneling put the flame out, and scrape out the wax to the point where the wick is.

Can you explain your procedure of how you made this candle?  Pour temperatures?  C3 can be finicky but it is a great wax I have to admit.   You need to pour slowly Infertile.  Was it cold in your house too?  

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

@Trappeur I heat the wax to 180 degrees, mix the fragrance in *USUALLY* at 6% and let cool until around 160 degrees then pour. I heat my jars in the oven on 200 for a few minutes to where I can still take them out of the oven by hand, but they are quite warm. I then pour at normal speed? I feel like if I pour too slow I end up jostling the wick and/or splattering wax all down the side of the jar (any tips on best pouring practice?).

I pour in my kitchen, which is very small. It stays pretty warm in there when I have the oven running + I am in Florida, so its typically around 73 in my house

A side question, once the jars set is it OK to keep them in a cooler space? I am letting them cure in our guest room closet, which at night stays around 69.

On another note I received our presto pot and I almost took it to bed with me y'all - that thing is uh-maze-ing. I did notice I accidentally heated my wax all the way up to around 200 degrees when I was trying to figure out where to keep the temp knob. I brought it back down to 180 before I poured the scent - just wondering if over heating the wax at any point could affect something?

I thought about what I said in my post and after thinking about it, that is a lot of work....

As long as you remelted everything in your original container and added more wax and brought it up to the temperature of like 175 and you have all mixed and stirred well and then repoured again, slowly, your candle should come out (I would think) ok.......You might lose a bit of the fragrance throw from doing all this maybe.......if not, just take it as a learning experience and use that wax for firestarters....Not the best advice, but the best I can think of .....sorry.

Trappeur

Although I haven't had the opportunity to use C-3 wax yet, I have collected some notes about it.  I just now referred to them and it says that the pouring temperature for this wax is 120-165dF.  I think your wax was too hot.  Your indoor temps seem to be fine, my house runs much cooler, esp. in the winter ... well, maybe not this winter ... very weird February weather.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:35 AM, birdcharm said:

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through so much trouble, but, it's all lessons along the way.  Due to various conditions, such as temperatures of glass, pouring temp of wax, etc., sink holes can be a common thing sometimes.  Now that you've added more wax and have a similar problem, I do not feel it could be the scent, but I didn't think that in the first place. 

Could it have been not enough blending?

In the case of the C-3, it was mentioned that the wax was only allowed to cool to 180dF, which I think is most likely way too hot.  It's hard when you're new at doing something and then find yourself working with new equipment, etc. as well, so it can be easy to make mistakes sometimes.

• Like 1

Just as a note to this thread, here are the suggested pouring temperatures for a few different soy waxes ...

GW415 - 90-100°F
GW464 - 125-145°F
GW444 - 125-145°F
C-3 - 120-165°F

There was a question about what happens if you let the wax get too hot on the melting pot.  I did have a small batch get into the 190°F range once (shame on me for fiddling with my scents!); I allowed it to cool in the pot, added scent at around 170°F, continued to cool to just below 150°F and it was fine (GW464).

Edited by birdcharm
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@TallTayl do you ever have issues pouring at such a low temp? Slushy would be well below 120... I tried pouring at such a cool temp once (tonight I want to try another batch) and the wax looked really weird on the side of the jar. It wasn't just a wet spot, but almost looks like the wax never melted in certain spots/looked flaky against the side of the jar which obviously wasn't the case.

I have been now pouring at around 130ish which definitely helped with the sink holes, but in the same pour batch with all the same parameters 1/2 the jars will have massive wet spots when they cool and the other 1/2 look perfect. I know wet spots happen with wax, but I am very anal and would like to try and eliminate this as much as possible.

Do you all ever have clients that comment on wet spots?

It is still smooth enough for a single, nice pour. If i am slow and the pot cools too much a quick blast of the heat gun gets it going again.

When the wax is poured cooler I get to level the tins I use (I don't use glass) by tapping them on the work bench a few times.

I don't get caverns around the wicks any more and no longer have to poke for holes and do reports to fill. Saves a ton of time and produces a much better candle for me :) 

• Like 1